Effect of an Article 15

Guest Flying_lizard

Guest Flying_lizard

I am a 26 year old Active Duty F-15 Crew Chief stationed at Langley with 4 1/2 years of service, 10 classes left toward my Pro Aero degree at Embry-Riddle, and 12 flight hours. I am also currently working toward A&P certification, and will complete my PPL prior to December. I will complete my degree May 2006, three months prior to the end of my enlistment. I will take the AFOQT and the BAT some time after I test for SSgt in May.

OK, so here's the bad stuff. Three and a half years ago I was arrested on Elmendorf AFB and charged with DUI on my way home to the dorms. I received an Article 15 and a reduction in pay grade. I completed the Alcohol and Drug Prevention and Treatment Program (ADAPT) at the Elmendorf Life Skills Center (Mental Health.) I have had no further incidents.

More Stuff! Three years ago I elected to have PRK surgery to correct my poor vision (20/400.) I did the research ahead of time to ensure that it would not disqualify me, and have had many follow up appointments at military clinics to create a paper trail of consistently stable 20/20 vision.

What do I need to do to make myself competitive against those who have not received non-judicial punishment?

Do the Article 15 and the PRK surgery each require a waiver, and if so would this put me over the one waiver limit? If you know where I can find more information regarding waivers I would appreciate it.

Guest comanche

I'm not sure on the military side of things, but if they are anything like the airlines, and DUI will kill you trying to get a pilot slot. Not to many airlines will take someone with a DUI. It will be interesting to see what people say about the military side of things.

Guest Flying_lizard

I am fully aware of the negativity surrounding the DUI, as I have been living through it for the last three and a half years. Basically I am asking for an opinion regarding the "whole person" concept when going up for an OTS board. Aside from needing competitive scores, what sort of things would a board be looking for to show that I am much improved since the DUI? Should I have letters addressing the issue?

Originally posted by comanche:

Not to many airlines will take someone with a DUI.

Not much of a factor with 12 flight hours. If you did want to slog your way through the civilian route, I'd ask what's your plan B? Actually, you could have a healthy career in the civ sector, you just probably won't ever left seat a 7X7 for UPS. But I digress...

Liz, if this is what you want to do, then fight for it.

Question: have you been crewing for any Birds and/or Stars regularly? If not, let your section chief know so that you can get scheduled with them. (Yes, be that up front and honest with everyone.) That's going to be your magic bullet. Try to get a chance to sit with one of them (pref one in your coc with as many stars as poss) and concisely draw a picture from your DUI to now: namely how the DUI was a gross aberation from an otherwise stellar troop.

If you can make these contacts, then decide if you want to reenlist or not. Reenlisting keeps you closer to these references, keeps you in their chain of command, and keeps them directly batting for you. If you get out you could drop off of their radar.

Ironicly, staying in might make it tougher for you to get an OTS slot.

Me in your shoes: I'd stay close to those contacts (re-up). I'd work my @$$ off trying to get every NCO OT quarter/year/base/command/USAF/universe that I could. You might not show up in those awards competitions since your record next to someone else's has that hairy mole on it, but at least it would show motivation to those writing your EPRs and sending your intentions up the chain.

Guest Flying_lizard

Thanks for the feedback. I really want to stay in, but don't want to pound the pavement with a wrench in my hand for the next 15 years. Because I turn 27 in September, time is a factor. I've been thinking about maybe applying once as active duty, then if I get turned down applying as civilian (or twice as AD and extend my enlistment a year.) I would much rather be in the Air Force, but am considering Navy paths also. If flying in the civilian sector is my only option, I'll move back to Alaska with my A&P certification and PPL and hopefully get hired on with some fly-in fishing service or something like that. Aircraft restoration also interests me. The first plane I'm going to buy is a J-3 Cub.

Didn't mean to get off track. Since the FAA issued me a Student Pilot Certificate, they already have my DUI and subsequent treatment info on file so that's one less hurdle to jump. I mention it because I didn't know if anyone out there knows how that works, but the FAA requests all of the information about the incident, as well as driving record and a personal statement of past and current alcohol use. They also have paperwork regarding my PRK surgery.

Guest comanche

The FAA is on hurdle, getting hired by an airline if thats what you are looking for down the road will be another. I'll look on my apps, and see how they word it, they may only ask in the past 7 years, not sure. I'll let you know if you think you may try for the airlines someday.

Comanche

Guest F16PilotMD

Liz-

It's been done before. Don't let anyone tell you it hasn't. The advice above is good - take it. If this was truely an error and you're otherwise a good troop, you will likely be okay if you can get a few good feathers in your cap.

Guest F16PilotMD

BTW, I have flown and fly with a few dudes with A-15s that say worse things than what you've got. You can overcome this.

Guest FangsOut

Don't give up, I have a friend that got a DUI prior to getting in to ROTC. He has a pilot slot and commissions this may. Another friend recently got disenrolled from ROTC for an alcohol related incident and got a pilot slot for the Marines. Everyone makes mistakes; some make them at worse times than others. Recommendations from any high brass in reference to your character and judgement definitely won't hurt. You may want to explore the Marine side instead of Navy. I hear the Navy is overloaded with pilots whereas the Marines would "kill" for a qualified female pilot...so I hear.

• 1 month later...
Guest pittsburghpens692003

You can still apply with the PRK, you will just have to get all your medical paperwork together when you apply, and you will need an eye waiver at that time. As for the Article 15... it will really come down the the recruiter... it workable waiver, depending on how you do on your AFOQT, ect. All together hope is not lost and you can put all the pieces together though.

• 2 months later...
Guest Flying_lizard

I have considered the guard and reserve route, but after talking to a couple of reserve pilots at an air show, I wasn't too excited about job hunting at reserve units. I don't like the idea of getting paid by the hour, and having to find another job to pay the bills when I'm not in uniform. I think I'd rather fly helo's in the Army just to stay active duty, but I hope it doesn't come to that. No matter what happens, I'll be somewhere flying something!

As far as the whole DUI thing, one minute I'm embarrassed to have all of my posts under the "Article 15" thread, and another minute I'm just tired of talking about it. I know that this will all come up in any interviews and especially when I request LOR's, so I need to be open about it now so I'm not uncomfortable later.

So now I have to kick ass on the BAT and log some more flight hours. All too easy... yeah right. Every time I buy something that isn't essential I think of how much flight time I could've bought with that money. By December I'll be sitting in a cold dark apartment eating dry ramen noodles, but I'll have my PPL!

Thanks for all of the feedback, I appreciate it. I'll check back in the fall.