Differences between ART and AGR

Guest JerseyGirl

Guest JerseyGirl

Alright guys, be kind to me ;) My husband is applying for Guard/Reserve jobs and I am trying to get a grasp on the whole Guard/Reserve world, as opposed to the active duty side...

I need a pretty basic understanding (you know, as basic as any military/government explanation can be!) of the difference between an ART job and an AGR job.

And for an AGR job, how does the hiring work? Am I correct in understanding that while all applications go through some headquarters/human resources somewhere, the unit and people in the unit are doing the actual hiring and pretty much can pick who they want for the job?

Thanks!!

Guest bgpilot99

Don't know much about the ART jobs, but as for AGR or technicians hired by the ANG you will submit an application packet for the job you're interested in. Then you will interview for the job, in the event that you qualify. The interview board will be made up of 5 or 6 technicians/AGR's who will come to a conclusion and pick the best candidate. Depending on what unit/shop you're applying for the boards may or may not pre-select people. Hopefully for your husband they are legit. Good luck

Guest JerseyGirl
Hopefully for your husband they are legit.
You mean the guys on the interview board, I am guessing? The interview board is made up of guys from the particular unit that is hiring, yes?

Sorry...I need things spelled out!

Guest bgpilot99

Yes, it is. And hopefully for him, the guys on the board will give your husband and all the candidates an open shot and not have a "pre-selected" candidate chosen before the interviews.

Guest Ftrooper91

Don't know about the Guard as I am in the reserves, but ART (Reserve technicians) jobs are pretty tough to get right off the street. Most Units hire either people already in the Unit or an ART from another Unit. We tend to bring people in as part timers before we even look at them for ART positions. Not that it doesn't happen, but it is very tough to do otherwise. Getting your foot in the door is the trick. So if there's an opportunity somewhere take it because once you are in the system it get's easier to move. It also depends on what he does, if he's a pilot then what the airline hiring scene currently is makes a big difference. Most of the rest of the crew positions are tough all the time. The absolute key is if they don't like you, they don't hire you. They look at these long term as "can I live with this guy/gal for year after year" They already have your resume and the interviews are often personality based.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by JerseyGirl:

An AGR job.

Noted.

Let me try this again...

What kind of work is he trying to do? If he is hired, what will he be doing when he goes to work? Some examples are pilot, crew chief, finance etc.

Guest JerseyGirl

Ohhhh....so, sorry Rainman! I did say I needed things written out, in bold helps, too!

He is a C-130 pilot. And honestly, thats about all I can tell you because I am all about ignorance is best when it comes to his job!

Guest Rainman A-10

OK.

First off, a unit vacancy occurs. That means the unit can hire another pilot. If there is an AGR position available to the Operations Group they can use that to attract highly qualified IP candidates from Active Duty or hire from within by taking a drill status guardsman (part timer) and making him a full time title 32 active duty (AGR) pilot. The pilot must be an instructor or able to become and instructor w/in a short period because the real job they are filling is "Airplane Flight Instructor."

It is against the law to pre-select (pre hire) for an AGR position. The law says the unit must advertise the position.

The unit will interview and select the person they want to fill that position. The state HQ will handle the paperwork and make sure the candidates meet the requirements to apply and then meet the requirements for the job once the unit tells the state who they have selected. The state's only real role is to make sure the legal requirements are satisfied. The state also serves a secondary function...they introduce unnecessary delays and errors into the process.

That's a very brief overview of the formal process.

Now here is how it works 99% of the time.

An AGR pilot is getting ready to quit or retire. The commanders get together and decide who they want to hire. Some units like to hire from within. Other units start recruiting guys from AD 18 months early and they go after FWIC instructors and other highly qualified people. I would say it is VERY rare for a unit to not know exactly who they intend to hire as an AGR pilot before they write the first word on the job advertisement. Typically, the job advertisement lists requirements that only one candidate could meet, they hire him/her and then have a bullet proof case against potential pre-selection litigation because they can say they hired the "most qualified" person.

AGR pilot jobs are rare and valuable. AGR contracts are typically five years long so a unit can get rid of a guy if he turns out to be a nightmare. However, AGR pilots are eligible for the bonus and can extend their contracts (out to 25 years service) if the TAG (state CC) signs off on it. AGR is active duty. You are eligible to retire with full benefits and pay at 20 years. There are limited numbers of AGR O-5 and O-6 opportunities. His promotion to O-5 may be delayed if the unit doesn't start working the paperwork two years before they expect to promote him.

Anyway, that's how AGR slots work in most units I'm aware of. If the unit contacted your husband he probably has a decent shot at the job because they are picking him. If he is simply applying for an AGR position he saw on the web somewhere...probably not so great a chance.

Craniums up to your hubby...being a full timer in a Guard unit can be VERY difficult. He will have more additional duties than he ever had before because there is the same amount of work to be done but very few full time people to do all that work. There are also some severe culture shock issues he will deal with, especially if he is a highly experienced full-up round coming into a yup-yup-yo Guard unit.

Hope that helps.

Guest JerseyGirl

Wow, that was great, Rainman! Thanks...I knew these jobs were like gold, but you have given me hope that he has a shot at the job!

Thanks so much.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by JerseyGirl:

Thanks...I knew these jobs were like gold, but you have given me hope that he has a shot at the job!

Uh, you're welcome but I'm not sure what I said that gives you hope.

I'm pretty sure you would have absolutely no question whatsoever if they were recruiting him to leave active duty for an AGR job.

I also said he needs to think hard about becoming a fulltimer in a Guard unit.

Good luck.