More than one offer

Guest wilco

I was just wondering if anybody got into a situation of being offered a slot before interviewing with your prefered unit.

By prefered, I mean a unit with your ideal airframe, location, or maybe a home unit for prior-enlisted.

Guest sleepy

One has diamonds in his pockets, and that some bread now,

This one says he wants to buy you rockets, ain't in his hand now

Guest Rainman A-10

Keep this in mind...

Units work very hard to select a candidate. Most of them would be pretty offended if you walk away from their offer unless you made it clear during your interview that accepting any offer would be contingent on being refused by another unit (which you probably didn't do).

You walk away from an offer and you can consider that bridge torched (with possible ripple effects...people know each other across units and they talk).

Guest FlyFredFly

....I ran into this situation recently. Interview offers started coming in and I went out of my way to "lay all my cards on the table" while boarding/meeting units. Slots went out the door with BRAC at my choice unit, so applications went nationwide. I ended up getting two primary slots, which to me seemed, I was lucky to have some choices.

FWIW...the unit I turned down waited a week for my decision and I still sensed a little frustration. Understandable of course!

So, be up front with everything and beware of the "ripple" that Rainman speaks of..

Guest BLEEDS ON

Had to delete my last post because I don't know how to read. Wilco, I thought you were asking an ethics question of accepting a slot before anyone has interviewed, which has happened.

Relating to your question, I know of a guy that delayed swearing in at one unit for, if I remember right, nearly 3 months to do his 'preferred interview'. He wasn't selected at the 'preferred' site and swore in with the first unit. Everyone's happy. The end.

I think if your open with them about it, it's less likely to backfire.

Guest NittoZ

Or, for those of us who would fly anything, anywhere, we would take the first slot given. You bust your balls to get a slot and then have to think about it? I would hate to blow an opportunity when someone gets offended and calls up that alternate.

We just held our board. Results are still pending, but I know we don't hold it against anyone if they are interviewing/looking elsewhere. I, for one, understand the process. If I get an app from you, I would hope you didn't put all your eggs in one basket and only apply to us.

That's why we select alternates. We make sure that, if we select someone as an alternate, that we would feel comfortable sending that guy to UPT tomorrow.

One of our alternates last year went out and got a slot flying elsewhere. Good for him. Our primaries signed on with us, got through MFS and went off to AMS, no problem. I would have appreciated an e-mail from him letting me know that as I tried to get a hold of him this year for the interview process, but whatever.

Bottom line, don't hoard the slot. But, you're gonna have your first choice, just like the unit. If your first choice doesn't hold the board until September, but you get hired elsewhere in August, as soon as you find out in September, you should be calling them within a week.

Just a perspective from how we run it. Keep Rainman's perspective in mind as well, though. Other units run it differently. You should be able to get the vibe in the interview itself.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Magicatc

I am in a similar situation. I was fortunate enough to get a slot. A week later, the place that would make my family the happiest invited me for an interview. I don't want to risk losing my slot by interviewing...but want to make my wife happy. I am getting mixed ideas from different people. Some say it is a slap in the face and others say the units understand whats best for the family and I won't lose my slot. I am still thinking about it. I ultimately want to no do anything that would risk my slot and feel very loyal to who ever selects me.

Most units will ask you in the interview if you are applying anywhere else. That's your chance to let them know. Honesty is always the best policy. If you are up front about your intentions, most units will understand. Not saying anything or lying to the unit could cause the ripple that Rainman spoke of...

Guest Magicatc

I've decided not to risk anything. I am fortunate enough to get the slot and the place I got it is a really good unit. My wife will just have to understand it is not worth the risk. Beggars can't be choosers. Thanks for all the advice.

I had offers with multiple places. Take the first one you get. Then, if another that sounds better comes along, take that and say no thanks to the others. Interviewing does not hurt. As long as you have not signed any papers, you are good to go. That is why they select alternates, in case the primary falls through. Good luck. Trust me....go for the one that makes the wife happy or you will just get stuck commuting from where she wants to live and that is a pain, believe me.

Guest AirAttack

Magicatc . . . Been there, done that. Go interview with the other unit. You're obviously top rate if you've already received a slot, so don't sell your family short. You can thank me 3 years from now.

• 1 year later...
Guest rpc29

I'm sorting out different squadrons I want to apply to and had a thought. For you guys already flying for someone...Did anyone have multiple offers?

I know most people apply to countless units hoping to get a chance to catch the ever rare ANG pilot slot, and was wondering if anyone ever got multiple offers and had to make a decision between two different planes.

Or does anyone know someone this has happened to.

Edited by rpc29

• 2 weeks later...
Guest J.R. ANG

This actually happened to me! I was selected by a Guard unit and a Reserves unit. I had to make a choice! PM me if you have specific questions.

This is total BS, I totally thought this was going to be a thread about hooking up with more than one chick.

If that was the case the topic would have been in "Squadron Bar" because this shit never happens (to me anyway, but I do like to live vicariously at times--please lets hear the stories.)

• 3 years later...

Sorry, nothing about hooking up with more than one chick.

I am currently a primary at a heavy unit, I have not sworn in but accepted the slot. Due to the length of time is it wrong for me to apply to my dream unit, a fighter wing which is interviewing in the next few months? I realize I am extremely lucky to have a slot and I definitely do not want to burn any bridges or hurt my current position, but I think I would always regret it if I did not at least apply.

You say you are "extremely lucky" and then go on to say you will regret not trying something else. Doesn't make sense to me, which one is it?

If your answer is still "extremely lucky", then I would stick with your commitment. Take the slot you are a primary at, forget the rest, and go kick ass wherever it is.

Probably nothing wrong with applying to other units before you have sworn into your new unit, but be careful what you wish for. I would feel like a pretty big dick calling the unit I was selected for a primary slot with and telling them I found something better. However, its up to you to make that decision.

Edited by Kenny Powers

Congrats on your slot brah.

However I'd be very careful about applying when you have a slot. It can be a small community and you could royal fvck yourself if word got back to your original unit. But if your app was already in when you got hired by your first unit and you score an interview.. Well that's on you. Personally I wouldnt risk applying and ruining a good thing.

Best of luck with your decision man.

Consider this, it could be all or nothing. You better hope no one ever finds out.

Take the shot if you think you can get the kill. Ain't no puss game you're thinking about playing.

• 5 months later...