How to rush a unit

Guest wilco

On 7/27/2016 at 9:28 AM, Flyingnut said:

On a similar thought, is there any taboos about applying to multiple guard/reserve units at once?  How would you disclose that without sounding like a tool?  My background: I’m an AD Herk guy that won’t have a plane to fly in a year which coincides with my UPT commitment.  If I got out I would be looking to fly  civilian and continue to serve.  I’m not tied to airframes or location per se; however getting picked up would obviously then limit my options if my goal would be to base in an area where I can access both guard/reserve and the airlines.

My local base has three squadrons that I was rushing, and they all had different opinions on this. They all understood I would apply and hang out with people from all three local squadrons, but one chief pilot was of the opinion that if you weren't applying everywhere else, it was an indication you weren't actually that motivated to join the reserve. The other two CP's thought this was crazy and that if you were local/established in the area, believed in the mission, and got along great with the group why would you apply elsewhere (unless you were turned down).

I ended up not applying elsewhere, sticking to my guns on why I loved it there so much, and still getting picked up at the next boards. I strongly believe that everyone's background and circumstances are different, and as long as you don't act like a tool, you won't be seen that way.

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

Going to be visiting a unit during drill weekend for the first time. Few questions as I am a civilian.

1. Are drill weekends usually Friday, Saturday, and Sunday or just Saturday and Sunday?

2. Do guys usually visit for just a single day or multiple? 

3. I've already read that bringing booze to gift is generally a good idea. Is it best to just show up at the front door with it or to leave it in the car until the end of the day?

4. I'm planning on bringing some resumes and a binder for taking some notes. Anything else I should bring that I'm not thinking of?

Technique only...

1. Normally just Saturday and Sunday. There are occasional three day drills, and you may see some of the "commuter" crowd on a Friday before drill if the squadron has anyone from out of the local area.

2. I normally just did one day.

3. I'd leave it in the car until end of day or another appropriate time.

Each unit is likely different, when you contact them they will let you know when is best to show up.  At my unit it's best to be there Friday afternoon and Saturday.  Sunday we are mostly in the vault all day and you won't get much interaction with the pilots.  BL it depends - talk to the contact at the unit you are rushing and they'll have more info for you. 

• 1 month later...

I am a civilian with no military background. I have read some people say to say "sir" in your response to a military member. How do you go about this? 

Will I offense any military member if I talk back to them without ending my sentence in "sir"?

Also, how do I address the military members? Is it okay to just say their names? I won't be able to tell what rank they are and what their last name is.

Sorry if this sound like a stupid question. But searching through the internet gives mix responses so hopefully this will get answer here.

Lastly, what are other hard liquor that I should bring to the unit beside Jack Daniels? I won't be able to get one through TSA so I will have to go on a fun quest to buy one locally, so more options to chose from will be better.

Edited by Curtiss JN-4
  • Downvote 1

I am going to visit a unit this weekend and really appreciate all of the information posted in this forum that help me preparing for a rush.
I am a civilian with no military background. I have read some people say to say "sir" in your response to a military member. How do you go about this? Do I have to say "sir" at the end of every sentence that I say? or reading the room and see what other candidates is saying and do the same? 
Will I offense any military member if I talk back to them without ending my sentence in "sir"?
Also, how do I address the military members? Is it okay to just say their names? I won't be able to tell what rank they are and what their last name is.
Lastly, what are other hard liquor that I should bring to the unit beside Jack Daniels? I won't be able to get one through TSA so I will have to go on a fun quest to buy one locally once I landed there.

Just be yourself. These guys are trying to figure out if they want to spend the next 20 years of deployments and TDYs with you.

If you know the insignia, you would be able to know what rank they are. If you see and bird or, for some reason, a star on someone’s shoulders, it’s a good idea to keep it to “sir” or “ma’am” when talking to them. But for everyone else, I’d just call them by whatever name they use to introduce themselves.

Obviously stay respectful. Show your interested, and make sure not to look through people. They are giving you their time, so give your attention to the person you’re talking to.

As for booze, your call. Jack, Makers, whatever, I don’t think it really matters. Grab a sharpie while you’re out and put a note on it with your name.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Curtiss JN-4 said:

I am a civilian with no military background. I have read some people say to say "sir" in your response to a military member. How do you go about this? 

Sorry if this sound like a stupid question. But searching through the internet gives mix responses so hopefully this will get answer here.

Lastly, what are other hard liquor that I should bring to the unit beside Jack Daniels? I won't be able to get one through TSA so I will have to go on a fun quest to buy one locally, so more options to chose from will be better.

If it's a Guard or a Reserve unit address the person by their rank once in the conversation, "Good morning, (Colonel, Capt, Chief, Sgt, Amn) Jones." If talking to an officer during the conversation, throw a "sir" in there once, maybe twice, when asked a direct question just to let them know your parents raised you right.

Other than that, speak normally and naturally. They're just people and they prefer talking with those who do not seem intimidated or excessively deferential.

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2018 at 6:20 AM, EvilEagle said:

Each unit is likely different, when you contact them they will let you know when is best to show up.  At my unit it's best to be there Friday afternoon and Saturday.  Sunday we are mostly in the vault all day and you won't get much interaction with the pilots.  BL it depends - talk to the contact at the unit you are rushing and they'll have more info for you. 

Same schedule at our unit.

And no sir sandwiches, we aren’t Marines.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

When civilians rush squadrons, what are we expected to wear? I have heard it is an informal event, just meeting the guys - kind of like fraternity rushing. But I have also read to wear business attire... So what have y'all worn in the past or recommend wearing?

Appreciate the inputs

17 minutes ago, Burger said:

Hey guys,

When civilians rush squadrons, what are we expected to wear? I have heard it is an informal event, just meeting the guys - kind of like fraternity rushing. But I have also read to wear business attire... So what have y'all worn in the past or recommend wearing?

Appreciate the inputs

If you are just visiting on a drill weekend or some other time, pants, button down or polo tucked in, and nice shoes (chukka boots or something similar). If you're attending an open house or something and it states business/business casual, I'd probably go with nicer pants, dress shoes (oxfords) and a nicer dress shirt tucked in. 

Edited by lucky38

I'm having the same problem one of the guys on the second page had in 2008. I'm having trouble getting in touch with the Pilot Ops to try and setting up a visit with the unit. I get transferred to a Lt. Col.'s phone and it always goes straight to voicemail. I have left messaged but haven't heard anything.

@JohnClarkI have left dozens of messages and have yet to receive a call back. IMO dont expect them to call you back. Dont let that discourage you though! Try using the BogiDope Map, it shows squadron ops desk numbers. Call that and someone should be able to help you. Just keep trying man, dont give up

• 1 month later...

The WSO that I have seen rush all wore their flight suits. From what I have seen it is an ice breaker in itself because you already have common ground like the possibility that you and someone in the SQ were at the same place at the same time or know the same person. At the very least it shows that you already know more than the average new guy off the street as to the ways of the big blue Air Force. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2006 at 12:11 PM, Guest sleepy said:
Originally posted by srvmcm:

The other thing... don't waste your time if your grades and PCSM are bad. Everyone interviewed at my unit had good GPAs (over 3.0) and AFOQT Pilot and PCSMs in the 90s. Gotta be able to back up your talk!

Don't get discouraged by less than stellar numbers. There's more to it than that.

I had crappy numbers when I was rushing. It took me a while but eventually I learned to focus on the positives that I could bring to the unit. I was too quick to talk about my age and college GPA during my introductions. 

Every squadron is different in what they want to see in folks that are rushing. It’s good walk the walk and back the talk. Making sure you will be the right fit for the squadron is also just as important as looking good on paper.

my $0.02

Cheers 🍻 

• Upvote 1