How to rush a unit

Guest wilco

We have a guy that has been rushing our unit for about a year and a half. Local guy, Always calls beforehand to see if it is all right to show up - He's shown up at about a dozen drills and just hangs out at the desk and doesn't say a word unless he's talked to. He started being invited to many of our socials and everyone now knows him by name. An O-5 asked him the other day "So, you've been hanging out forever, you don't have any dates yet?" He politely answered "I haven't even interviewed yet."

"Really?.?......."

I guarantee this guy knows more about the unit than anyone else we will interview off the street.

Our alternates hang out as well, we sent one to the show and the other has a great shot at going too since he still shows up during drills and shows an active interest in the unit.

Just show up and listen. Often if you live close by. It really can be as simple as that.

Good Luck

-j

This is exactley what I'm trying to do at my neighborhood unit. I'm having a really hard time getting in touch with someone who can let me through the gate. All I've got so far is recruiter's voicemails and I never get calls back. I've callled the base 1-800 number but they have no idea what I'm trying to do...even after I explain that I just want to get in touch with a pilot in the unit. Is there a particular position I should as to speak with, or should I just show up at the gate and tell the guards that I'm trying to get in touch with a pilot in the unit. Please help!

Guest tonio

I believe this has been answered but, should I mention my intent to pursue a future position as a navigator to my recruiter? I would be enlisting until I finish college in a couple of years.

This is exactley what I'm trying to do at my neighborhood unit. I'm having a really hard time getting in touch with someone who can let me through the gate. All I've got so far is recruiter's voicemails and I never get calls back. I've callled the base 1-800 number but they have no idea what I'm trying to do...even after I explain that I just want to get in touch with a pilot in the unit. Is there a particular position I should as to speak with, or should I just show up at the gate and tell the guards that I'm trying to get in touch with a pilot in the unit. Please help!

What unit? maybe ask if anyone here is part of the unit, then go with that.

KAPilot, call the 800 number and ask to get transfered to the pilots ops desk and tell them that you would like to visit.

Tonio, figure out the job that you want to do and do that while you are enlisted. I would try and talk to a few of the pilots and navs on the base and let them know your end goals and seek their recommendations as well. Search for the thread Enlisting what job. It may be stickied at the top of this forum.

-j

KAPilot, call the 800 number and ask to get transfered to the pilots ops desk and tell them that you would like to visit.

Tonio, figure out the job that you want to do and do that while you are enlisted. I would try and talk to a few of the pilots and navs on the base and let them know your end goals and seek their recommendations as well. Search for the thread Enlisting what job. It may be stickied at the top of this forum.

-j

Stiffler, Greasy thanks I'll try that today. The unit I'm trying to contact is the 136th air national guard unit at the joint air base in fr worth, tx. If anyone knows anyone there I would be extremly apprecative. Is it possible to mail beer?

Don't mail beer - bring beer with you when you go.....

Make sure you bring good beer too - don't bring Stroh's or Natty Light or anything that looks like it should be root beer.

:beer::beer:

Guest wakebrdr142
I'm 26 and a half years old. Do I have time to do this? What if I did do this and got picked up by a unit somewhere else would I have to stay at the one I enlisted at or could I go to where I was offered a slot at?

I enlisted when I was 26. Was picked up this year and I will turn 28 next month.

I'm set to visit the 136th in a couple of weeks during their drill. I have visited a unit before during their drill and everyone seemed really busy. Is this the best time to visit? If so does anyone have any advice other than "be yourself and don't be a tool". What I guess I'm asking is if everyone's busy what's the best way to go about this. Should I A:show up morning and hang around all day talking to people as they come available or should I B:shoot for lunch or the end of the day when people may be more apt to slow down...or am I C: just making way to much of this.

I got picked up for UPT by a really busy unit. What I did when I was in your position was I called the pilot recruiter and just asked if he'd recommend me showing up during drill. He told me that because of their ops tempo, some of the pilots might not be there and that of those that were there, they'd probably be doing other things during drill. So in my unit's case, coming and hanging out didn't really matter.

Every unit does things differently. Call the unit you want to join and ask when the best time to visit is, or if you should visit at all.

• 3 weeks later...

This is all great stuff on here and I've been reading all of the guard/reserve stuff on here over the last couple of months. I recently submitted a package to the 132FW in Iowa. I got asked to come up for lunch and for a 'roll call' in a few weeks and have been doing all of the normal homework...i.e. reading about the unit's history, mission, block type, recent deployments etc - it has been fun. I understand all the other gouge on here about just being yourself, knowing when to STFU, etc...what I am curious about is what to wear?

It's not an interview so I don't think it would be good to wear slacks and a tie but I also know everyone is judged by what they have on when making a first impression - want to look relaxed and professional while not looking like a tool going for some corporate businessman job. What do you guys think...some khaki shorts, a polo, and some normal tennis/skate shoes or something more along the lines of khaki pants, a tucked in button up or polo, and some loafers/dress shoes? The latter would require some shopping as I am just normally the khaki short, polo with tennis/skate shoes kinda guy...though buying some nice dress clothes wouldn't be a problem if necessary.

This is all great stuff on here and I've been reading all of the guard/reserve stuff on here over the last couple of months. I recently submitted a package to the 132FW in Iowa. I got asked to come up for lunch and for a 'roll call' in a few weeks and have been doing all of the normal homework...i.e. reading about the unit's history, mission, block type, recent deployments etc - it has been fun. I understand all the other gouge on here about just being yourself, knowing when to STFU, etc...what I am curious about is what to wear?

It's not an interview so I don't think it would be good to wear slacks and a tie but I also know everyone is judged by what they have on when making a first impression - want to look relaxed and professional while not looking like a tool going for some corporate businessman job. What do you guys think...some khaki shorts, a polo, and some normal tennis/skate shoes or something more along the lines of khaki pants, a tucked in button up or polo, and some loafers/dress shoes? The latter would require some shopping as I am just normally the khaki short, polo with tennis/skate shoes kinda guy...though buying some nice dress clothes wouldn't be a problem if necessary.

Do some shopping, go khaki pants, nice shoes and a polo or button down. No need for a suit or tie.

Should be a blast. Have a great time.

-j

Guest L Unit

Invest in some nice khakis, a dress shirt, and some nice shoes. "Business casual" is the phrase you're looking for.

Your best bet:

Go to the Men's Wearhouse or other equivalent, find a salesWOMAN, and tell her: "Make me look good in business casual." They will know what is in style, and how to best fit your figure.

Other tips:

Nice shoes. That means buying a set of 'dress' shoes, the kind you would wear in a business suit. Again, a good bet is to go to a shoe store and explain that you want one pair of shoes for everything 'business casual' and up. I have a nice set of wingtips that are not too over-the-top for khakis, but look great with a suit.

Appropriate other accessories. Meaning correctly colored socks for your shoes, an undershirt (for when you start sweating), no earrings, etc.

Your new clothes may need tailoring. It's worth it.

The bottom line is that, like you said, first impressions matter. Looking too professional is better than looking slovenly. The whole kit above will cost you anywhere around 100-150 bucks. Also remember that should you start interviewing, you'll need a good business suit. Buy this from a salesMAN, and ask for an 'interview suit.'

Specialty beer? Beer is hit or miss... not a terrible choice though. If you're going to a fighter squadron I recommend bringing Jeramiah Weed / JD / or scotch (12y/o minimum) the bigger the bottle the better... anything with a handle.

Dont waste your time finding jeremiah weed or 12 yo scotch. Just get a decent bottle of makers mark or Jack D and you will be fine. Just say its a thanks for letting you hang out with them.

more than anything.....DONT BE A DOUSCH!!!

• 7 years later...

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and new to the concept of rushing a unit. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask questions on how that works, if it is then great if not I apologize in advance.

I'm currently debating whether to go AD or Reserve with the end goal of flying (haven't been able to decide between fighters or heavies)

I've been working with a line officer recruiter on the AD side of things so I have a decent amount of knowledge on that process however recently I was told about this reserve option of rushing a unit and filling an opening.

A bit of background on myself:

• 20 years old
  • about to complete my Bachelors degree in December 2016 graduating with a 3.0-3.1 GPA
  • About 6 flight hours....(I know that is nothing significant) however I do hope (funds permitting) to get my PPL before attempting to join
  • I have already taken the AFOQT although the scores were low in the quantitative and I will be studying up a lot before I attempt it again
  • no TBAS or PCSM scores right now
  • clean medical record (DODMERB and FAA Class 3 medical compliant)
  • clean judicial record as well
  • Nearest reserve base is Homestead AFB in FL

Some of the questions I can think up at this time:

How do I go about being selected by a unit.

What does it actually mean to be selected by a unit? Does this mean I bypass the boards for OTS and jump straight to IFS and UPT or do I still need to land a spot in an OTS board as well?

(If anyone has knowledge on this) What are the differences in culture,lifestyle, and quality of life between fighters and heavies?

Is pay reduced when you are a reservist?

Can I treat my reservist position as a full time job.

I appreciate any help at all and any guidance since like I said I'm pretty new to the whole process thanks!

On 2/25/2016 at 6:27 PM, afulloa said:

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and new to the concept of rushing a unit. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask questions on how that works, if it is then great if not I apologize in advance.

I'm currently debating whether to go AD or Reserve with the end goal of flying (haven't been able to decide between fighters or heavies)

I've been working with a line officer recruiter on the AD side of things so I have a decent amount of knowledge on that process however recently I was told about this reserve option of rushing a unit and filling an opening.

A bit of background on myself:

• 20 years old
  • about to complete my Bachelors degree in December 2016 graduating with a 3.0-3.1 GPA
  • About 6 flight hours....(I know that is nothing significant) however I do hope (funds permitting) to get my PPL before attempting to join
  • I have already taken the AFOQT although the scores were low in the quantitative and I will be studying up a lot before I attempt it again
  • no TBAS or PCSM scores right now
  • clean medical record (DODMERB and FAA Class 3 medical compliant)
  • clean judicial record as well
  • Nearest reserve base is Homestead AFB in FL

Some of the questions I can think up at this time:

How do I go about being selected by a unit.

What does it actually mean to be selected by a unit? Does this mean I bypass the boards for OTS and jump straight to IFS and UPT or do I still need to land a spot in an OTS board as well?

(If anyone has knowledge on this) What are the differences in culture,lifestyle, and quality of life between fighters and heavies?

Is pay reduced when you are a reservist?

Can I treat my reservist position as a full time job.

I appreciate any help at all and any guidance since like I said I'm pretty new to the whole process thanks!

You're asking a lot of questions that can be found just by searching around on this site. Go to Google and search "Fighters vs heavies site:Flyingsquadron.com" to search specifically on this site. Most people will just ignore you if you're asking questions that can be answered by a quick search, so learn to do a little legwork first, and then ask questions. A little effort goes a long way, and no one likes somebody asking for handouts. 

That being said, I was recently in the same boat as you, so I guess I'll have a bit of compassion.. I couldn't decide whether to go Guard or Active Duty. But everyone I spoke to recommended Guard (Granted, they were all in the guard, but some were prior AD). Some of those reasons are; Quality of life is better, you'll fly more, you get to choose where to live, UPT is (slightly) less stressful, you get to choose which aircraft you want to fly, most everyone WANTS to be there, and if in the end you still don't like guard you can always transfer to AD or to another guard base. I think it's similar for the Reserves as well. 

GuardReserveJobs.com will often have bases that are hiring (although not every base posts on there). Some bases post on the forum on this site, while others post only on their wings website, while some you have to call to find out if they're hiring or not. 

AD and Guard/Reserve all have to go through the exact same OTS (It's called TFOT now), and then onto IFS if you need it and then to UPT. 

You get paid the exact same rate in Guard/Reserves as you do in AD, except the difference is you only get paid for when you work. If you only work 4 days a month in guard/res, you only get paid for roughly 4 days of work. Almost every Guard/Reserve unit will have full time slots, but I hear they can be pretty competitive to get into. I hear opportunities to Guard Bum are plenty, and even more so in the heavies than fighters. 

Feel free to PM me. 

http://www.guardreservejobs.com/newjobboard/ - There's new jobs every week. 

https://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/roadtowings.html

• 4 months later...

On a similar thought, is there any taboos about applying to multiple guard/reserve units at once?  How would you disclose that without sounding like a tool?  My background: I’m an AD Herk guy that won’t have a plane to fly in a year which coincides with my UPT commitment.  If I got out I would be looking to fly  civilian and continue to serve.  I’m not tied to airframes or location per se; however getting picked up would obviously then limit my options if my goal would be to base in an area where I can access both guard/reserve and the airlines.

1 hour ago, Flyingnut said:

On a similar thought, is there any taboos about applying to multiple guard/reserve units at once? 

No, in fact I think they would think it was weird and short sighted if you weren't exploring all of your options. Keep in mind that units are not only interviewing you, but you are interviewing them as well to make sure it is a good fit both ways. 

• Upvote 1