Enlisted Jobs

Guest soccer

I met with a senior loadmaster at my local unit yesterday. He said once I begin my six year commitment as a loadmaster I would not be able to switch to a pilot position until my six years are up. I was under the assumption that I would be able to switch if selected. My enlisted recruiter also disagreed with the senior loadmaster. Can anyone clarify this? I am going to call the recruiter in charge of pilot hiring tomorrow to get his opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met with a senior loadmaster at my local unit yesterday. He said once I begin my six year commitment as a loadmaster I would not be able to switch to a pilot position until my six years are up. I was under the assumption that I would be able to switch if selected. My enlisted recruiter also disagreed with the senior loadmaster. Can anyone clarify this? I am going to call the recruiter in charge of pilot hiring tomorrow to get his opinion.

Not true. However don't make it known that you are only joining to become a pilot. That is the wrong road to go down. If you join, you are a loadmaster first and foremost. If your only goal is to become a pilot you will not be a shining star in the squadron. Do a great job but don't make it seem like it is just a stepping stone to the front seat. If you are the best loadmaster in the squadron, get along well with everyone, and don't screw anything up you should have no problem moving up front. You should plan to put some time in as a load though to build your reputation. I did not finish my 6yr commitment as a load before getting my UPT selection, however by the time I go to school I will be at 5yrs 10months.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest ecupirate

I am seriously considering swithching from the Army Guard over to the AFR or ANG. From the research I've done and what I've seen on here I have narrowed it down to either a 135 boom operator or 130 loadmaster. How does the different missions of the two respective aircraft effect operations in regard to initial qualification and monthly, and annual training as well as deployments. Secondly. I am deployed right now and want to use the transfer playing card when we return to the states since they will have gotten what they needed out of me. However back in the civilian world I will have a pretty busy life I am a sophomore in college and also work full time as a aero medical dispatcher at a hospital. The dispatching jobs allows me a rotating schedule I work two days on and three days off on a rotation so thats good. I am just worried that I have to much civilian interference to be a good flight crew member and I definately don't want to be a shit bag because I want to eventually try and get a pilot slot in the next 3-4 years. Thanks

• 7 months later...
Guest stamfordblue7

Reviving an old post, but I was simply wondering how soon after enlisting you are eligible to apply for a rated slot? I understand the dangers in the unit thinking you are only enlisting to get a pilot slot, but I think those perceived effects would be negligible.

I'm 25, and am putting in for a pilot spot at the 123rd Airlift Wing, but if I'm not selected my wife and I are seriously considering the thought of me enlisting at that same wing (Desire to serve, possible hefty bonus, potential rated spot). My ultimate goal is certainly to get the pilot spot, but the service is very important to me as well, coming from two previous generations of military aviators. Obviously the age factor is beginning to be an issue, so I was just wondering if I HAVE to wait, say, a year, before even applying to another pilot board or if I'm good once I complete my appropriate schooling? Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Reviving an old post, but I was simply wondering how soon after enlisting you are eligible to apply for a rated slot? I understand the dangers in the unit thinking you are only enlisting to get a pilot slot, but I think those perceived effects would be negligible.

I'm 25, and am putting in for a pilot spot at the 123rd Airlift Wing, but if I'm not selected my wife and I are seriously considering the thought of me enlisting at that same wing (Desire to serve, possible hefty bonus, potential rated spot). My ultimate goal is certainly to get the pilot spot, but the service is very important to me as well, coming from two previous generations of military aviators. Obviously the age factor is beginning to be an issue, so I was just wondering if I HAVE to wait, say, a year, before even applying to another pilot board or if I'm good once I complete my appropriate schooling? Anyone else been in a similar situation?

I was 26 when I enlisted in my unit, for all of the same reasons. My unit has been very up front with me, however, in letting me know that I am able to apply anywhere and everywhere to try and get a Pilot slot. I was DEP for about 10 months, and I still went on 2 interviews, while waiting to go to Basic. Now that I've finished Basic and Tech, I am still able to apply anywhere I wish, and if selected, would be released to that unit.

I think you should be fine if that is what you are really leaning towards, but just be sure that if you enlist, and you are not selected for a pilot slot or any other rated position, that you are okay with your decision to serve. Nobody would want someone whining for the next 4 years of their enlistment because they didn't get what they wanted in terms of jobs.

Lastly, as you are in the same age boat as I was, be sure to pick a Tech School that is SHORT in duration. I chose Aviation Resource Management, which if you saw the earlier posts in this forum, was previously called Operations Resource Management. 6 weeks of school, and I was done, back getting face time with the pilots, in Ops.

Guest stamfordblue7

mp5g, coming from a similar situation as me, what are your thoughts on the best enlisted jobs? My contact at the 123rd (who just took a sweet helo tour job out in Vegas even after receiving a pilot slot) was a flight engineer and swore up and down that it's the best enlisted position in the entire AF (flying anyway)... I found out that the two years maintenance is not really a requirement anymore for FE (at list at this wing), so what would you think about that? It seems like loadmaster and life support or the two highest touted E jobs...

Yeah, both of those positions, or rather all three (FE, Loadmaster, and Life Support) will give you face time with pilots. ARMS does that as well.

The two things I would say you need to consider are this:

1) Your age. I mentioned it before, but you are 25, like I was when I enlisted. The window to get to pilot training is getting smaller by the day. I don't know if you are looking Guard/Reserve, or Active, but you are more than likely going to have a delayed entry into the Air Force. For Guard, I was delayed 9 months before I was sent to BMT (which is 8.5 weeks). I’m not sure about the timeframe on the Active side of things. So that already puts you that much closer to the age cut-off for UPT. Plus, on top of that, you have to then go to Tech School, which again, for me in the Guard, I had a split option (meaning that I came home from BMT) and had to wait 6 months until my school opened and I could attend a 6 week course. Active/Reserve, from what I’ve seen go straight from BMT to Tech.

Now the two jobs you mentioned, Loadmaster (has a Tech School length of 59 class days, which does not include weekends) and Flight Engineer has a Basic FE course that lasts 6 months at Lackland, plus the additional survival training that is required (all pulled off of usmilitary.com). All of this training adds up and once again, puts you right up against the age cut-off for UPT.

2) Now the other thing I would consider is picking a job that you are okay with even if the UPT thing doesn’t work out. Many have mentioned it before and I’m sure you have read, that going into a shop just shouting that “you want to be a pilot and that this is only a stepping stone in your career,” is a quick ticket to being labeled a douche. You need to enjoy your job, and do it to the best of your ability to send out the right type of message. If you think that you won’t be happy sitting behind a desk and doing admin work, then do not choose ARMS. Pick something that you can look back in 4-6 years and still enjoy doing.

Hope this gives you some direction. For my situation, I chose ARMS because I like the work. But it was also a quick Tech School, and it gave me face time with the pilots. I knew that I wanted to get to BMT, Tech, and back as quickly as possible so I could start getting that face time, and making a name for myself. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

mp5g, coming from a similar situation as me, what are your thoughts on the best enlisted jobs? My contact at the 123rd (who just took a sweet helo tour job out in Vegas even after receiving a pilot slot) was a flight engineer and swore up and down that it's the best enlisted position in the entire AF (flying anyway)... I found out that the two years maintenance is not really a requirement anymore for FE (at list at this wing), so what would you think about that? It seems like loadmaster and life support or the two highest touted E jobs...

Hey dude, I'm in the 123rd now...great unit. I was a loadmaster for 5 years before getting the call for UPT last year. I loved every second of the job. I would agree that FE or loadmaster are the 2 best enlisted jobs in the game. FE will be tough to get into without prior maintenance experience and the schools for both are pretty long. Life support and intel are both good options as well with a shorter school. We definately tend to hire from within so I would enlist if you can swing it. I'm good buds with your contact...losing a great dude with his move. Shoot me a PM if you want some more info.

Guest stamfordblue7

mp5g, I completely agree with and see what you're saying... I can guarantee you I'm not that douche guy, because my main goal is to serve; being a pilot would be an extremely positive, ancillary product of committing to the service. About two years ago, when graduating college, I could see myself being that guy, but now the service is more important to me than anything and I genuinely mean that. During my trip around the wing I asked the "recruiter" tons of questions about the board process AND the enlisted side because I understand that, even if I'm not picked up as a pilot, I would have an obligation to fill.

165LM, I'll PM you later on, but it was really cool to see the crazy side of the place during all the inspection chaos. I could definitely tell everyone was kind of on edge!

• 2 months later...
Guest stamfordblue7

Speaking of enlisted jobs, is there anyone else on here who is part of the 123rd out of Louisville? I've visited a few times now, and have tried to get as much info as I can from one of the recruiting guys about opening, careers, etc., but with not much success; he responds with messages of such brevity that I literally have learned almost nothing from him... just wondering if I'd be able to talk to anyone else about the specifics of this wing, or maybe even get a different contact... thanks in advance, regardless of the outcome...

Guest Crew Report

I put Boom ahead of Loadmaster as one of the best "E" jobs. You refuel things in the air and carry people and crap around the world. Plus how many Loads know how to read an approach plate.... :beer:

If you wanted to get into MX for a Guard or Reserve unit, would you shoot to the front of the line if you're an A&P? If so, what's the age cut off for a non-prior?

The A&P would probably help as far as the hiring decision goes, but I doubt you'd get to skip Safety Wire 101 and the "proper use of screwdrivers" CBTs at Sheppard.

I want to say 30 is the cutoff for non-priors, but please don't quote me on that. Might be waiverable if the unit is understrength (who isn't???). Again, don't quote me.

The A&P would probably help as far as the hiring decision goes, but I doubt you'd get to skip Safety Wire 101 and the "proper use of screwdrivers" CBTs at Sheppard.

I want to say 30 is the cutoff for non-priors, but please don't quote me on that. Might be waiverable if the unit is understrength (who isn't???). Again, don't quote me.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.