UPT base assignment AFRC

Guest LwNSlo

Guest LwNSlo

Just curious how AFRC handles UPT assignments. Since you cant put down a preference is there a method to where they send you based on HOR? Last year had 3 reserve buddies all get sent to Vance even though they were all from different units..seemed to be the base of choice last year. Just trying to see if I can narrow down where they are sending me..hoping for Columbus. It can only be either XL, CB, or VN haha. If anyone has any info or insight id appreciate it..my recruiter doesnt seem to know.

This was posted back in 2004 by someone who emailed Cynthia Freeman at AFRC about base assignment. This is what she said:

"Our quotas are limited and based on track select unlike active duty where they do not have any idea what aircraft they may track select to.

I will determine what UPT base you are assigned to based on availability."

Still not sure about putting in a preference. I've talked to Chief Pilot, Squadron Training, Wing Training, Wing relocation, Wing Education - no one knows.

I'd like XL - and 2 guys from my unit are going to XL.

[ 09. March 2006, 12:05: Message edited by: Hotel ]

It seems to be almost purely random from what I've observed. In my selection board from my unit, two of us came to Vance and one to Laughlin. Before that it seemed everyone went to Columbus. I spoke with Cynthia Freeman about this when I was selected and she said she just puts people in classes where there is availability. She also said there is no possible way to ask for a certain base (unless it is a special request for such reasons as a child needs specialized medical care not available near another base). Your UPT base will show up with all of your information about 6-9 weeks before your tentative OTS date.

Guest guardhopefull
Originally posted by Hotel:

This was posted back in 2004 by someone who emailed Cynthia Freeman at AFRC about base assignment. This is what she said:

"Our quotas are limited and based on track select unlike active duty where they do not have any idea what aircraft they may track select to.

I will determine what UPT base you are assigned to based on availability."

This is almost exactly what Freeman told me when I spoke to her in 04. I am the first from my unit to attend XL and thought for sure it was going to be Columbus. It all comes down to timing, what’s available to her in conjunction with that timing, and what airframe the stud is slated for (since Corpus can potentially come into the mix for 130 guys). I was actually supposed to attend Corpus but since a T-1 slot was open sooner my unit told her to send me to XL to speed things up. The unit can request a base if time is not an issue, in fact this happened with the guy following me.

Several variables from what I can tell.

• 4 weeks later...

So far we're batting 1000 for XL. My understanding was we only have VN, CB, and XL as options.

I've only heard of Whiting for AD guys, but doesn't hurt to ask your unit about it.

XL is the tail flash for Laughlin AFB, VN=Vance, CB=Columbus, and EN=Euro-NATO at Sheppard

Unless things have changed, ANG/AFRES types were not allowed to go to Moody or Whiting. ANG/AFRES fighter guys have the option of going to Sheppard.

• 2 weeks later...

3 guard guys in my class went to NAS Corpus for follow on training after tweets, but they're all 130 guys. So that's definitely an option.

As for choosing your UPT base, it's a lost cause. They'll put you where they want you. I asked around a lot (Freeman included) trying to get XL and got sent to CB.

That being said, someone out there has to be the one that makes the decision. If you got strings, pull 'em.

• 2 years later...
Just curious how AFRC handles UPT assignments. Since you cant put down a preference is there a method to where they send you based on HOR? Last year had 3 reserve buddies all get sent to Vance even though they were all from different units..seemed to be the base of choice last year. Just trying to see if I can narrow down where they are sending me..hoping for Columbus. It can only be either XL, CB, or VN haha. If anyone has any info or insight id appreciate it..my recruiter doesnt seem to know.

This post was made a while ago. Can any recent reserve guys chime in on this topic and give an updated opinion? I assume it's still restricted to XL VN or CB but I wonder where most reserve guys have been going to recently. And Since this thread has anyone actually put in a request and had it approved?

• 1 month later...
This post was made a while ago. Can any recent reserve guys chime in on this topic and give an updated opinion? I assume it's still restricted to XL VN or CB but I wonder where most reserve guys have been going to recently. And Since this thread has anyone actually put in a request and had it approved?

BUMP

I'm interested to know if Reservists can go to Whiting as well.

Quote from Aurora85 "Yep..XL seems to be the flavor of choice lately ;) You cant do Whiting with the Guard/Reserves or Moody."

Edited by kapilot

Guest Mack2004

When they were looking for my slot my training guys asked me if I wanted to go to CB or VN. I asked for CB and had the class dates by the end of the day. Not sure how it all worked from behind the scenes, but it seems that at times the unit, or perhaps even the individual, can have some say in the matter.