Seasoning Question

Guest nickythefish

Guest nickythefish

I've heard of dudes doing their seasoning at locals other than their guard unit. My particular unit (A-10s) says they guarantee a two year seasoning period and lately I've been tossing around the idea of trying to do a year of that seasoning in Korea or Germany. Any thoughts from more experienced guys than myself on this?

I did a few weeks of seasoning with other units; we had others who flew with Hawaii for 2 90 day TDYs (don't know how I missed out on that good deal). Granted, that's in the mighty Stratotanker not A-10s.

I don't think you'll have a problem flying with other units, but you might run into some trouble getting your unit to pay for either A) TDY expenses or B) PCS entitlements to go somewhere for a year. You never know until you ask, but I suspect money will be the answer.

Also, any particular reason why you'd like to leave your home unit during seasoning? That idea might not be well received for a new guy. I could see trying this once your seasoning days were gone - in an attempt to get another year of orders from AD or something - but IMHO you'd be better off being snacko at your home unit and becoming 'one of the boys'.

nTf,

What you are proposing probably isn't possible, and notwithstanding that, is a bad idea.

To do your "seasoning" in Korea or Germany, other than a short excusion for a couple weeks, would require you to join active duty. That would be a big deal, and you may never get back in your unit again. They (your Guard/Reserve unit) paid for your training, and they'll be expecting your services upon completion of said training.

I'm suprised your unit is even willing to commit two years of seasoning to you. That's way beyond what they are obligated to do. Six months is the norm.

If I were you, and I do know a little about the subject, I'd concentrate on getting through training, get back to your unit, and start earning your keep there. To use an old adage..."dance with the one who brung ya."

Unless I'm way off the mark the seasoning money is now unit funded instead of school tour money (at least in AFRC), so if it's that way for the ANG you might have trouble getting even six months worth. Our guys aren't getting much...too much money out of our RPA pot.

Guest rumblefish_2

I'm going thru seasoning now, and it's a major point to fly as much as you can with the folks that hired you so you can get to know their way of doing business. If you wanted to fly in Korea or Germany for an extended period of time, well, you probably should have joined AD. Get to know your bros and have fun during seasoning. If they hired you then they want you to contribute to the unit after the 2 years you spent in training taking up one of their billets. You'll have plenty of opportunities to go to cool (or not so cool) places in the next 20+ years.

• 2 months later...
Guest jriggoMOANG

I cannot speak for all units, however the Iowa F-16 unit and the SD unit told me two 254 day seasons periods. Basically 2 years is what I was told.

Guest rumblefish_2
Originally posted by J.R. ANG:

I cannot speak for all units, however the Iowa F-16 unit and the SD unit told me two 254 day seasons periods. Basically 2 years is what I was told.

This about right for F-16 units.

• 2 years later...
This about right for F-16 units.

Thread Revival:

With the cutbacks, anyone know if they're still doing the 2 254 day cycles or just 1? My initial orders are for 1 and was just curious if they add the second one on later.

Thanks in advance.

Sledy

Thread Revival:

With the cutbacks, anyone know if they're still doing the 2 254 day cycles or just 1? My initial orders are for 1 and was just curious if they add the second one on later.

Thanks in advance.

Sledy

Does anyone know how long seasoning is for Herc units? Thanks guys!

Guest r6pilot
Does anyone know how long seasoning is for Herc units? Thanks guys!

And to add to this... is it different between AFRC and ANG Herk units?

• 2 weeks later...

AFMAN 36-8001, AFRC Supplement 1 explains the Seasoning Training Program (STP) for AFRC units and the attachments have the "authorized" number of STP days for each rated crew position. The AFRC A3 Training site on the portal has a "Seasoning Training Guide" that explains this further. Basically, STP is "unit funded," but uses money that is programmed in advance (project 726 school tour funding or a UFR when the money runs out) then allocated from AFRC, so it is not really unit funded like a squadron TDY might be. The mandays don't take away from the units' limited pot o' money. Many folks get a lot more STP days than the reg allows due to availability of funds. I've seen folks authorized 120 days that end up with 250+ when the orders get issued. Most fighter units get 270+ for a pilot, most heavies get 120+ for a new pilot/nav/ewo and 45+ for a new AC upgrade or retread. Most of the enlisted positions get 120+ for initial quals.

When the programmed money runs out, so does the STP. STP is a desired end product for rated/non-rated development (most career fields have STP, including non-flyers), but should not be looked at as an entitlement. Contact your wing training office for more information. If you are in school, work with your training folks to make sure they put in the request for your "authorized STP." Most places do this automatically as part of your MQ courses (MQ, Survival, etc.), but I've seen some slip through the cracks due to a lack of understanding about the program. Money not spent = money never spent again, so spend ALL of the available training dollars and this program will expand into an even better program than it already is.