Guard/Reserve to Active Duty

Guest mexico

Guest twinkle toes

Just call a local reqruiter, they will look up your afsc and tell you yes or no.

• 1 year later...

All,

I have been reading and watching this forum on and off again for a couple of years and I am not sure if I have seen this question come up. I am currently an E-5 in the ANG and have been in just at 8 years. I am one semester from a degree in engineering that took longer and was way harder than I thought. I plan on applying to OTS for a rated (pilot) postion next year after graduation and at the end of my 3 year extension. My reason for the post, and question is if anyone has taken this route or knows whether the 9 years in the ANG will help or hurt my OTS chances?

Thanks,

DaReDeViLeNg1

All,

I have been reading and watching this forum on and off again for a couple of years and I am not sure if I have seen this question come up. I am currently an E-5 in the ANG and have been in just at 8 years. I am one semester from a degree in engineering that took longer and was way harder than I thought. I plan on applying to OTS for a rated (pilot) postion next year after graduation and at the end of my 3 year extension. My reason for the post, and question is if anyone has taken this route or knows whether the 9 years in the ANG will help or hurt my OTS chances?

Thanks,

DaReDeViLeNg1

Yeah bro, I went a very similar route, although I didn't have the engineering degree. I was in a sheet metal shop in the air guard for just about six years before I went to OTS and I think it had a lot to do with me getting picked up for a pilot slot along with some flying experience. Do you know any of the higher up pilots (i.e. sq/cc) that could write you a LOR? That would help if you had interviewed with them before, but either way, I think the guard experience will definitely help. What do you do in the guard?

Hey Daredevil,

I might be able to shed some light on the subject. I was an E-6 with the Mass ANG and was in for 9.5 yrs with a degree in MechEng. I got picked up as a pilot on the 0505 board and I am about to have my first flight in the B-1 next month. I think the board looks at the whole pic. I worked hard at my guard base and got good LOR's and had about 250 hrs flying time. As long as you make it in before the age cutoff, I don't think the board cares about age. I could be wrong, but I got picked up at age 26 and started UPT around 28yrs old. If you have any specific questions feel free to drop me a PM. Good luck you you bro,

Planephlyer

I'm another ANG to AD guy. Spent 10 years in the Guard and now I fly C-17's AD. I got picked up with a degree in Aviation MGT and about 50 hours flight time. Like it was stated above, I worked my tail off in the guard and got some good LOR's from higher ranking pilots and the AG. If you have any questions just PM me and I will answer what I can.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies it puts my mind a little bit more at ease that this path has been tried before and worked for others. I am wondering if all or any of you got into UPT straight out of OTS? I think I am in a fairly similar position to what you have all described. I am in E/E and have been in MXS since I got into the ANG but have really yet to meet or become known with any of the OPS squadron. Just recently a friend and PriorE got picked up from inside our wing to got to UPT. I asked him about your comments of having the OPS (sq/cc) or a close proximate to write an LOR and he agreed that one of the things he was told to do before his board was just to go to the OPS section and start introducing himself and getting to know the pilots. I do already have my ppl. and should be in the 130-150 hr range when I get ready next summer to apply.

Also with all of you having seen at least one full enlistment out through the ANG what do you think of now being AD? I am hoping the ability to relocate and really see different places will be a welcome event. Thanks again for the info I welcome anything else you can remember about the process or the transition but I am sure I will pm sometime soon with other ?s.

Cheers,

DD

As far as UPT right out of OTS goes, you will know before you go to OTS if you got a UPT spot or not. If you apply for a pilot slot you will looked at for a pilot slot. I left Maxwell and started UPT at whiting NAS exactly one month later. Your buddies suggestion about going over to OPS and introducing yourself and getting to know the pilots is spot on. I actually applied to my unit and interviewed with them and received an alternate slot. At that point the only way I was going to get a flying spot was AD since my age was not helping me.

• 3 months later...

I realize this is a fairly old post, but I'll try my luck...

To you guys that were accepted to OTS from the ANG, did you run into any issues with being conditionally released, or were you already at your ETS? I will only have 2.5 years with my unit when it comes time to apply to OTS, and I haven't found much on the positive side of DD Form 368's being approved. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Guest Black Baron

I'll use the age old answer..."It depends"

Most ANG units won't have any problem giving you the conditional release. Just talk with your supervisor and let him/her know what your plans are.

Then speak to your Squadron/CC and tell them your plans as well. Best case scenario, you get the conditional release and possibly and nice Letter of Recommendation.

Worse case scenario, they say no and you put in a couple of more years.

The first scenario will happen more often than not, assuming that you aren't a total bag of A$$ and your leadership is at least competent.

Cheers,

BB