Graduate School and the ANG

Guest PalmettoGuy

I ultimately want a pilot slot

I think you are missing the point. Pilot slots are extremely competitive, any way you slice it. If that truely is your ultimate goal, you should be focused solely on that. To what extreme is really dependent on how bad you want it and other responsibilities in life.

While I personally think being prior E has its advantages, it's definitely not a must and some dudes will tell you it doesn't necessarily matter at all (plenty of dudes get picked up off the street).

If you want a pilot slot, start putting packages together and applying. Rinse and Repeat, learn, get better, get hired.

It can take time, some guys apply for years, flying to interviews on their own dime and spending every dollar they have on making their application better.

Edited by Kenny Powers

I think you are missing the point. Pilot slots are extremely competitive, any way you slice it. If that truely is your ultimate goal, you should be focused solely on that. To what extreme is really dependent on how bad you want it and other responsibilities in life.

While I personally think being prior E has its advantages, it's definitely not a must and some dudes will tell you it doesn't necessarily matter at all (plenty of dudes get picked up off the street).

If you want a pilot slot, start putting packages together and applying. Rinse and Repeat, learn, get better, get hired.

It can take time, some guys apply for years, flying to interviews on their own dime and spending every dollar they have on making their application better.

I understand. I just figured with the undermanning of loadmasters I could enlist, do my job to the best of my abilities, receive graduate school funding, and when the time comes, apply for pilot slots. I have a lot of time on my clock as I am young. I also assumed that by the time it would take to enter UPT training (including application, selection, and interview processes) I could have some solid years of experience behind me. Thanks for your input, Mr. Powers.

East bound and down, over and out.

Some may have the mentality that a Master's is only going to slow down the process of getting a pilot slot, I have a feeling you bear this opinion as well.

The only opinion I bear, in your case, is that I don't believe you quite understand how difficult it is to get selected to fly for a guard unit. Spend some time on the "What are my chances" section and you might gain a clearer picture of the pain dudes are going through to get to fly an Air Force jet. I don't think "getting your masters is going to slow down the process of getting a pilot slot" because some guys could have finished med school twice before they got picked up for UPT. The point myself and Kenny Powers were trying to make is that, for most of us, the UPT slot was priority one and something we sacrificed greatly to achieve. I don't think your idea is a bad one at all. If you want to fly C-17's go enlist in a C-17 unit and get your masters done while you are a load, that sounds like a fine idea. The part that leaves me scratching my head is, if you really want to be a pilot, and you already graduated from college, why haven't you applied for that UPT slot yet? I'm not knocking your plans man, if you want the guard to pay for grad school that sounds like a good idea...if you want to be a pilot, it might take more than a load with a masters who thinks "Joining the ANG/AFRes has been on my mind for a few years now" is going to get you slot. Best of luck.

The only opinion I bear, in your case, is that I don't believe you quite understand how difficult it is to get selected to fly for a guard unit. Spend some time on the "What are my chances" section and you might gain a clearer picture of the pain dudes are going through to get to fly an Air Force jet. I don't think "getting your masters is going to slow down the process of getting a pilot slot" because some guys could have finished med school twice before they got picked up for UPT. The point myself and Kenny Powers were trying to make is that, for most of us, the UPT slot was priority one and something we sacrificed greatly to achieve. I don't think your idea is a bad one at all. If you want to fly C-17's go enlist in a C-17 unit and get your masters done while you are a load, that sounds like a fine idea. The part that leaves me scratching my head is, if you really want to be a pilot, and you already graduated from college, why haven't you applied for that UPT slot yet? I'm not knocking your plans man, if you want the guard to pay for grad school that sounds like a good idea...if you want to be a pilot, it might take more than a load with a masters who thinks "Joining the ANG/AFRes has been on my mind for a few years now" is going to get you slot. Best of luck.

To be completely honest I just want to get into an ANG/AFRes wing, build some awesome rapport with the members in said unit and work my butt off, all the while completing my Master's. I don't expect a UPT slot, would it fullfil my dreams?... hell yeah it would! I know it won't be handed over to me on a silver platter just because I go the LM route but, in my eyes, getting in the service NOW and being a part of a flying unit as an ACM is better than not flying at all. I appreciate your opinions and thoughts on the matter.

Edited by HawkJ2010

I don't see any issues in what you want to do. I was an enlisted flyer prior to commissioning. There is very little doubt that it helped me get the slot. I was called while working in Stan/Eval and interviewed on the spot. Found out later that day that I was selected. This is not typical. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I agree with herkbum and O, your plan sounds fine, especially if you have time on your side. Just not the most direct route to achieving your "dream".

Just keep in mind the time line involved, the 30 year old mark can be somewhat misleading. When I was applying, I was older, and a couple boards that I applied to said it was their policy not to interview anyone older than 27, I was 27.5. I have seen 27.5, 28, and 28.5 in writting on a few websites for units as well.

Hell, even my SQ/CC told me that he would have preferred to hire younger guys, all else being equal. He ended up hiring the two oldest dudes on that board, both with over 10 years as prior E.

Edited by Kenny Powers