AFRES unsponsored slots

• 1 year later...

Can you get an Unsponsored UFT slot with the AFR and then pick up a sponsor from an ANG unit at some point in the process?

Also when you go unsponsored, will they start your training before you get a sponsorship or they will only let you start training when you get sponsored?

Edited by Kmike
Clarity

1 hour ago, Kmike said:

Can you get an Unsponsored UFT slot with the AFR and then pick up a sponsor from an ANG unit at some point in the process?

Also when you go unsponsored, will they start your training before you get a sponsorship or they will only let you start training when you get sponsored?

Question #1: No, the ANG and the USAFR are totally separate entities. You'd need to get sponsored by a Reserve unit. If you got picked up by an ANG unit, you'd have to relinquish your unsponsored Reserve selection to process with the Guard unit. If you'd already gone to OTS and commissioned into the USAFR via the unsponsored route then it would probably be totally impossible to go ANG at that point.

Question #2: Traditionally, the point of the unsponsored route was to get guys into training prior to getting sponsored (then they'd need to find a sponsor by Phase 3 of UPT or they'd be automatically assigned to a unit). The latest word I've heard is that they're getting plenty of sponsored candidates now and it seems like the future of taking unsponsored candidates is in question. I've heard that recent unsponsored candidates now aren't being sent to UPT until they're sponsored due to a UPT backlog, and I've also heard that AFRC isn't really bothering with unsponsored candidates at the moment unless they think you're exceptionally qualified.

Edited by mb1685
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mb1685 said:

Question #1: No, the ANG and the USAFR are totally separate entities. You'd need to get sponsored by a Reserve unit. If you got picked up by an ANG unit, you'd have to relinquish your unsponsored Reserve selection to process with the Guard unit. If you'd already gone to OTS and commissioned into the USAFR via the unsponsored route then it would probably be totally impossible to go ANG at that point.

Question #2: Traditionally, the point of the unsponsored route was to get guys into training prior to getting sponsored (then they'd need to find a sponsor by Phase 3 of UPT or they'd be automatically assigned to a unit). The latest word I've heard is that they're getting plenty of sponsored candidates now and it seems like the future of taking unsponsored candidates is in question. I've heard that recent unsponsored candidates now aren't being sent to UPT until they're sponsored due to a UPT backlog, and I've also heard that AFRC isn't really bothering with unsponsored candidates at the moment unless they think you're exceptionally qualified.

Thank you for your quick response.

However,  Iooking at the AFRC 18-01 and 18-02 selection board results it appears that they had a lot of unsponsored selectees for UPT. In fact the 18-02 board states that it had the largest unsponsored pool in nearly 2 years. I will say that several of the unsponsored guys were selected as alternates.

8 minutes ago, Kmike said:

Thank you for your quick response.

However,  Iooking at the AFRC 18-01 and 18-02 selection board results it appears that they had a lot of unsponsored selectees for UPT. In fact the 18-02 board states that it had the largest unsponsored pool in nearly 2 years. I will say that several of the unsponsored guys were selected as alternates.

The latest board (March) took no unsponsored candidates. Here's what a T-6 IP in the squadron that controls the unsponsored pipeline said recently:

"Program was introduced because MAF was taking so long to get candidates to boards. They were coming up short every year. It acts as a bridge to fill the un-filled slots. Last year, they turned in 20+ slots. This year, they have around 100, but many more applicants than slots available, a good chunk of them sponsored. First choice is to take sponsored candidates, then fill if needed by unsponsored. So, yes, there are no Unsponsored Boards for a while. They got the candidates. But, that doesn’t mean if your a great candidate you won’t be picked up unsponsored and “injected” into process. But, it does mean your going to have to be “overqualified” for the immediate future. The bare minimums ain’t gonna cut it right now. In reality, we do not have a problem recruiting new pilots, we have a problem retaining them later in their career."

More info here (I started this thread at ALPF): https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/112125-current-status-afrc-unsponsored-boards.html

The IP there is willing to help some people with the process. It might be worth a shot, but at the moment it looks like unsponsored opportunities are drying up.

Edited by mb1685

6 hours ago, mb1685 said:

The latest board (March) took no unsponsored candidates. Here's what a T-6 IP in the squadron that controls the unsponsored pipeline said recently:

"Program was introduced because MAF was taking so long to get candidates to boards. They were coming up short every year. It acts as a bridge to fill the un-filled slots. Last year, they turned in 20+ slots. This year, they have around 100, but many more applicants than slots available, a good chunk of them sponsored. First choice is to take sponsored candidates, then fill if needed by unsponsored. So, yes, there are no Unsponsored Boards for a while. They got the candidates. But, that doesn’t mean if your a great candidate you won’t be picked up unsponsored and “injected” into process. But, it does mean your going to have to be “overqualified” for the immediate future. The bare minimums ain’t gonna cut it right now. In reality, we do not have a problem recruiting new pilots, we have a problem retaining them later in their career."

More info here (I started this thread at ALPF): https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/112125-current-status-afrc-unsponsored-boards.html

The IP there is willing to help some people with the process. It might be worth a shot, but at the moment it looks like unsponsored opportunities are drying up.

FWIW every T-6 reserve flight at UPT has a Unsponsored LNO.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mb1685 said:

Idk what the lastest board FY number was. But I’m looking at the actual documents that have the selection board results for 18-01 and 18-02 sent to me by my recruiter. In it it shows 5 out of the 20 candidates selected were unsponsored in 18-01. And 7 out 23 selected were unsponsored in 18-02. And there was another 11 unsponsored candidates selected as alternates in 18-02.

In addition to that the UFT 18-02 results document states:

“18-02 was the most competitive to date with extremely high AFOQT/PCSM scores and flying hours. Additionally, board 18-02 reviewed the largest unsponsored pool in nearly two years. Due to the large number of unsponsored and four UFT boards remaining in FY18, 18-02 implemented an alternate list for UPT selects”

Not going against the IP, I’m just going based off the document my recruiter sent which appears to be past UFT results.

I would post the document here but because it was sent to me personally and it has the names of the selectees on it, I don’t believe it’d be appropriate.

P.S What is MAF and LNO?

Edited by Kmike
Clarity

4 minutes ago, Kmike said:

Idk what the lastest board FY number was. But I’m looking at the actual documents that have the selection board results for 18-01 and 18-02 sent to me by my recruiter. In it it shows 5 out of the 20 candidates selected were unsponsored in 18-01. And 7 out 23 selected were unsponsored in 18-02. And there was another 11 unsponsored candidates selected as alternates in 18-02.

In addition to that the UFT 18-02 results document states:

“18-02 was the most competitive to date with extremely high AFOQT/PCSM scores and flying hours. Additionally, board 18-02 reviewed the largest unsponsored pool in nearly two years. Due to the large number of unsponsored and four UFT boards remaining in FY18, 18-02 implemented an alternate list for UPT selects”

Not going against the IP, I’m just going based off the document my recruiter sent which appears to be past UFT results.

I would post the document here but because it was sent to me personally and it has the names of the selectees on it, I don’t believe it’d be appropriate.

P.S What is MAF and LNO?

Check paragraph 10 of the 18-02 results document, it says "The next AFRC OTS/UFT/URT selection board will be held on 05-06 march 2018. application deadline is midnight, 25 February 2018. This board will select only unit sponsorship applicants; no unsponsored applicants."

I'm definitely not saying to not try, but just relaying what I've heard/seen. It sounds like getting in touch with that IP on ALPF is probably your best bet.

MAF = Mobility Air Force (i.e. heavies)

LNO = Liaison Officer

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mb1685 said:

Check paragraph 10 of the 18-02 results document, it says "The next AFRC OTS/UFT/URT selection board will be held on 05-06 march 2018. application deadline is midnight, 25 February 2018. This board will select only unit sponsorship applicants; no unsponsored applicants."

I'm definitely not saying to not try, but just relaying what I've heard/seen. It sounds like getting in touch with that IP on ALPF is probably your best bet.

MAF = Mobility Air Force (i.e. heavies)

LNO = Liaison Officer

Okay man thanks.

I saw that lol, but I see what you are saying. To me it didn’t make sense at first because I interpreted you as if you were saying they weren’t taking any unsponsored candidates at all when on the document it had quite a few. But you’re saying it sounds as if they won’t be taking very many if any in the near future. So I understand  you now.

So those sponsored guys on the list are guys that applied directly to the unit and got accepted?

And btw I’m not really trying to go unsponsored either, I just wanted to learn more about what it is. I’m currently going to push for Guard units first.

Edited by Kmike

2 hours ago, Kmike said:

“18-02 was the most competitive to date with extremely high AFOQT/PCSM scores and flying hours"

What are extremely high scores and hours? Anybody have a guess? Most people on the UPT rush circuit seem to hover around PPL + a little bit in the hours department.

12 minutes ago, Sopwith Camel said:

What are extremely high scores and hours? Anybody have a guess? Most people on the UPT rush circuit seem to hover around PPL + a little bit in the hours department.

Extremely high scores are 99s, and high hours are several thousand...those are probably outliers though, and no idea how unsponsored stats compare to sponsored, as the data/avgs are combined. Recent averages are below.

Jan board avgs: pilot-91, pcsm-83, avg hrs: 500 for selects and 100 for alternates.

Mar board avgs: pilot-93  pcsm-85, avg hours: 81

Board 18-04 will accept
unsponsored applications.  However, unsponsored selections will depend on the number of sponsored applicants the board receives.

I have attempted to contact more than one AFRC recruiter with no luck. I'm currently an ANG KC-135 crew chief, but want info on the unsponsored AFRC UPT board. Anyone know when the next upcoming board is, and when packets are due? Implications seem to point to it being very soon. Do applications have to be submitted through a recruiter? I'd love some more info on it.

I was under the impression after reading the forum that you could apply to an unsponsored board at 30 years old, and then get your ETP and find a unit to sponsor you while at UPT. Finally talked to a recruiter that ensured me they were very, very knowledgeable on the subject and they said that is incorrect. You cannot apply to the unsponsored board at 30 years old.

Jumping in on this post, but I was curious if unsponsored UPT slots were possible that required an age waiver. Would AFRC grant an age waiver, or is it a lost cause?

I am 36, so certainly need a waiver, but I think I can be a reasonably strong candidate with a PPL and approximately 69 hours in my logbook, 89 Pilot, 82 PCSM (will increase to 86 with 12 more flight hours), respectable LoRs, and a Master's degree (3.41 GPA). I feel confident in being a strong "whole person candidate," as well, if I can just get the chance to sit down for an interview. To top it off, I'm pretty happy to fly anything, so I would be happy with whomever is offering a slot.

With this age and time being my issue, I'm just trying to look at all options. I'm awaiting a MEPS date as my final hurdle and I'm applying to units, but openings and time are going to take their toll and I figured unsponsored would be a great opportunity, if it's possible. Thanks for the info. 

7 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

Jumping in on this post, but I was curious if unsponsored UPT slots were possible that required an age waiver. Would AFRC grant an age waiver, or is it a lost cause?

I am 36, so certainly need a waiver, but I think I can be a reasonably strong candidate with a PPL and approximately 69 hours in my logbook, 89 Pilot, 82 PCSM (will increase to 86 with 12 more flight hours), respectable LoRs, and a Master's degree (3.41 GPA). I feel confident in being a strong "whole person candidate," as well, if I can just get the chance to sit down for an interview. To top it off, I'm pretty happy to fly anything, so I would be happy with whomever is offering a slot.

With this age and time being my issue, I'm just trying to look at all options. I'm awaiting a MEPS date as my final hurdle and I'm applying to units, but openings and time are going to take their toll and I figured unsponsored would be a great opportunity, if it's possible. Thanks for the info. 

I’ve heard, but haven’t seen in writing, that unsponsored slots won’t go to anyone needing an age waiver. The issue I see is that part of the AFRC UPT board packet is any age waivers (more correctly ETPs, or exceptions to policy), must be signed by the chain of command thru the NAF commander, a 2 star, for the sponsoring unit. Without this ETP, I don’t know that the board would accept the packet  and approve it. I know my packet (similar boat, but sponsored) couldn’t go up to the AFRC board without that signature. Do you have a reserve officer accessions recruiter? http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/Service-Center/Guard-Reserve-Factsheets/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/637906/accessions/   800-257-1212 is the number to get in touch with a recruiter...you’ll have to go through a phone screening before they will assign you a recruiter for your geographic location. Reserve officer recruiters are different than active duty ones, and they will be able to answer your questions about the AFRC UPT boards. Good luck. 

Thank you @va121mir and @FlyArmy for the info. That's what the recruiter had said, but a few folks I'd spoken with that had gone that route were saying it was possible, so I wasn't sure. It makes sense due to requiring sponsorship, but I wasn't sure if there was a snowball's chance that AFRC would actually have a route for a waiver. I need to get a MEPS date and I should be all spun up and ready to go to rush units. 

@va121mir, do you think I'll have too much of an issue getting a waiver through NGB? I've definitely noticed they seem to have the age caps listed in their job listings. I had planned on applying as many places as I could and letting them tell me "No" to be positive the option isn't available, but most of the current openings seem to be NG and I'm wondering if the effort is worth it if they don't seem keen on doing waivers. I just hadn't heard that it's harder to make them fly (well, I guess that pun's intended) through NGB before.

@FDNYOldGuy For the NGB, the waiver is routed thru the squadron that hires you, then the group, then the wing, then the state, then the NGB and could take upwards of a year from what I have been told. Many units don't want to deal with the headache, hence the 28.5 age limit that most ANG units have. However, some ANG units are willing to push age waivers. I would just contact the POC for each unit, explain your situation, and ask if they are willing to consider it. That is what I have been doing and the answers range from "Hell No old man" to "Yes" and I'm only 29. 

Thanks for the input, @va121mir. It does seem to vary WILDLY by unit, so it's probably worth reaching out everywhere. I just wasn't sure if I should be firing applications to EVERY one, or if I should just be ensuring there's even a possibility before sending them. I'm happy to fly anything and just want to get a seat, but it's just a bit too much to be going for everything and I certainly won't be able to rush everywhere. It's just hard to know where is worth the shot. 

Good luck with the hunt!