AFRES unsponsored slots

I have done a search on “unsponsored slots” and have found a lot of useful info. However, I can’t find the answer to this Question: say I go to the AFRES HQ board unsponsored and get a slot. Do I have a time limit to find a unit to call “home” or can I take my sweet A$$ time and wait until the unit I want is look for UPT’s

Guest SnakeT38

I think the board will "recommend" a unit or two

when results come out............it's kind of like

a unit has/just got a UPT slot, no interest/not enough, so the board fills the slots for them.

When BAD started sending B-52 UPT stud's, they had like 10 slots at once, there were not enough "qualed" apps, so they had some Command Sponsor slots.

I was selected unsponsored and they never mentioned a time limit for me. I heard from someone that they'd like you to find a slot w/i the first year or so but I'm pretty sure there's no expiration date except for your age. SnakeT38 is right, I got the occasional call or e-mail from units looking to fill slots that got my info from the list of unsponsored people.

That has been the information I've been getting as well. Robins provides the units facing short-notice manning needs with a heads-up about those selected as unsponsored.

You do not have a fiscal year time limit on your slot allocation. The only limitation is the age threshold for UPT training, which for a young guy, early 20's and just approved, could mean a healthy chunk of years of buffer zone.

However, in my search I haven't been able to find a case where an unsponsored candidate has waited longer than a 1.5 years to be inducted into a unit. By that I don't mean physical time to UPT, I mean time between getting approved by the board and verbally accepting a bid from an interested unit. If anybody has whatever-hand experience of a scenario atypical to that feel free to share.

I hear what duece is thinking about, the line is getting long on that one btw :D . I don't know how that would that play out in real life though, a lot of politics go on within the Guard/Reserve side of the house, one wouldn't want to stand out as too picky, the unit you're interested in might decide you're not their kind of material and you're just gonna end up 30 without a slot. Realistically I would expect to accept a bid from a unit within a year of being approved (IF approved) within a reasonable list of airframes of interest and location. I think most unsponsored selectees end up taking that route.

Hey Slye, just to add to duece's question, how many boards did you meet? Can you meet consecutive boards? I'm just being realistic, these days it looks as though it may take a couple of boards just to get through the system.

Thanks folks

thanks for the reply, I spoke with my recruiter today and he said you can meet consecutive boards. In reply to your reply??? I am not to picky I have about 3or4 units that I am shooting for. The problem is, they are not sponsoring UPT for the SEPT board (no suprise) but may for the march board. So if I did get picked up unsponsored I would be willing to wait until one of those units will take me and its smooth sailing from there. At least I hope so....I hate this waiting BS!!!!!

Guest guardhopefull

I was unsponsored for 1.5 years. I was officially told that the only limiting factor is age, so in other words the slot is yours until 30. But don't get me wrong you will hear about it if you are taking a LONG time to find a unit, as I did.

• 8 months later...
Guest awalker76

Howdy all!

In a position I never thought I'd actually get to - unsponsored selectee from this last AFRC board! Time is now of major importance as I have to find a unit and start school before I turn 30 this fall...

I've been in contact with and have received little interest from at least 15 units that I've talked to. Everyone seems to have too many newbies, and if they wanted newbies, they had already picked their candidates and sent them to this last board.

MSgt Freeman has said that I can be placed in a July/Aug class, which are basically it for me. Of course, I have to find a home before I can go. I am qualified for civil service employment in two different career fields at any base, so relocation is basically a non-issue.

I don't know what else to do, but I'm ready to hit the streets with selection news in-hand... I can visit anywhere, but still have to be VERY mindful of my current employment, which has been more than understanding. Any suggestions?

Prefer tanker/airlift... Units of extreme interest: March, Charleston, Lackland - family in all areas. I haven't contacted Lackland yet, but would like to know if anyone has a POC. Anywhere else, any airframe, any ideas, anything?

Thanks guys, this is huge, and I'm in major beg-mode now!

Adam

adamwalker1@cox.net

already commissioned, USAFR

prior service AD

afoqtp: 99

pcsm: 96

other scrn name when i forget passwords: awalkertx

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cdm1023

A question for all those who have gone through the AFRC boards without being sponsored by a unit:

I have been working with a unit for a few months and I was offered an interview in May. They subsequently called and told me that they changed their UPT interviews to this fall per their commander's request. They encouraged me to try to go to the board unsponsored so I could possibly be picked up in the fall.

What is the process like to do this? Will I have trouble getting my recruiter to cooperate? I feel like I have pretty good numbers to go before the board and I have already completed my Initial FC1 at Brooks.

Any and all tips or suggestions for getting this process started would be appreciated. Also, I just read on this site that the boards will meet this summer. Any truth to this?

Thanks

Guest chuzie

Go to your career enhancement office at the MPF and they will give you a checklist of forms and things that need to be done. It is a lot of stuff to do but you have some time but dont wait too long because things always come up.

Guest Hud Cripple

First of all - Dont give up. Most of the guys that my unit hired made appointments with the chief pilot on a UTA weekend. This enabled them to get both face time and to have somewhat of an interview.

This will require you to travel at your expense just to have the opportunity to meet the person that could potentially change your life. For the new guys in my unit that did this, it worked. Those who just make phone calls or sent a resume tend to fall off the radar scope. The empasis item here it to put a name with the face.

My unit will not do official phone interviews. The process at my unit is to do the panel interview first. Then you are released and highly encouraged to socialize with the squadron. This gives both the panel and the non-panel members the opportunity to get to know you.

Even though the official panel interview is over, you are still being evaluated by the non-panel/squadron members. The official panel will review your package, resume, and ask a few questions. Somewhat low threat enviroment, but dont let the relaxed enviroment throw you off. They want to have the opportunity to meet the real you. Not the canned interview you. For some folks, that is a big difference. I have seen some folks get rejected b/c they lacked the situational awareness to realize that even though the setting was relaxed they still have to present themselves in a professional manner. Remember, you are being hired as a "Officer First", then a pilot. You are sent to "Officer Training then Pilot training". Be relaxed, but be professional.

A few interview killers:

-Dont chew gum, slouch, and speak to the panel in a social tone. This one showed a lack of SA and professionalism.

-Dont expect anything. Dont demand anything. Dont lie. -- Yes, I have seen folks expect/insist/demand things and other bone headed behaviors.

The latest hot topic is the folks that believe they are "Freakin Entitled" to what ever they want. The entitlement attitude will guarentee you one thing, a thanks but no thanks. This new generation that believes they are entitled to a UPT slot, never-ending mandays (pay), the trip of their choice, the work hours they choose, is annoying.

The bottom line is - You have to show up!

UPT slots in my unit are also running short. I know of folks, just like yourself, that are dumbfounded at the level of difficulty with the process. This whole process is cyclic. A few years ago we could not find enough candidates. Now we have 9 newbies and very few basic aircraft commanders. In a few years we will be "fat" on aircraft commanders and instructors and will start looking for newbies again. Not a perfect system, but this is what we have to deal with.

Good Luck and keep trying.

Guest awalker76

Thanks very much for these tips - they'll certainly help me for the interviews I'm about to have I am going up to the 97 AS next month and hopefully the 336 ARS this month. A lot of my frustrations would would probably be a non-issues if I didn't have to be worried about keeping my current job... I can't take much more time off from work, which is being very sympathetic/understanding to my position. I took a week of in Apr for reserve duty, and I've got my 2-week AT this June. So I really strapped for time, and am having to restrict a lot of my coordination to email/phone calls to units until they seem interested. Will you guys hire me?!

• 3 years later...
Guest atxflyr

I was offered an unsponsered (At Large) pilot slot. I've been told it's basically a dice roll as to what/where I'll be flying. Are there any possible ways I have any choice in the matter. I've seen some forums where the candidate has to find a unit to sponser then, but the board I interviewed with says I'm just assigned a unit instead. If I have to find a unit, that just seems like I'm stamting over in the process I've been doing to find a slot with a specific unit.

I also was just offered a slot with another unit (heavies) at the same time and I'm at a loss for what to do - go unsponsered or take the heavies... anyone here have any advice? It's a good problem to have, but I don't want to burn any bridges at the same time...

Here's my humble opinion, If this is for the reserves take the heavy slot and don't look back. We typically have mostly tanker and cargo aircraft. So you could take the heavies slot and not have to worry about finding a home. Or go unsponsored and probably get tracked for a tanker or heavy. Regardless of what the unit flys C-5, C-17 and C-130 all have ups and downs.I lean towards cargo because I started as a C-17 crew chief. I just think knowing where you are going could make your life easier. Work smarter, not harder. Good Luck

• 5 years later...

To obtain an unpsonsored pilot slot in the Air Force Reserve, contact an Officer Accessions recruiter and they will help you put the packet together and submit it. I just completed the process and got an unsponsored slot. Any additional questions, I'll answer what I can.

I just rushed along with a guy who had an unsponsored slot. the impression I got from him was if he didn't get picked up "at some point" he would be assigned a unit. worth nothing that he had an actual UPT date.

• 4 weeks later...

I've learned a bit more about unsponsored slots in the reserve. I just finished my flying class I physical at Wright-Pat. There were about ten unsponsored applicants there with me. We all have dates for OTS and UPT this year. We have until two weeks prior to selection week in UPT (~Sep 2016) to be sponsored by a unit, or we'll be assigned per needs of the air force. The applicants' info went out to all the flying squadrons encouraging them to interview and sponsor us asap.

Add I understand it, there are over fifty slots remaining this fiscal year that the af reserve doesn't want to go to waste. Packets are due 29 March for the next board.

So I would encourage interested individuals to contact a reserve recruiter and put in a packet. It would appear that it's never been easier to become a pilot in the reserve.

You may contact me with any questions, or for my recruiter's contact info (I recommend him highly).

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I got picked up a month before graduation. I had a letter from my counselor saying I was on track to graduate by a certain date and it was put in the application and I got accepted. I think the rule is you have to be no more than 6 months away from graduating. I HIGHLY recommend going unsponsored. It allows other units to see your application package and come to you with offers for interviews and, you never know when there will be another board. So get in ASAP.

Edited by Red 5

I believe it is your final year of college. 90/120 units~

Thank you for your response. I found out that they like for you to be in your final semester. 15 semester hours or less remaining. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it for the summer board. I'll be in my last semester in the fall with a graduation date of December 5th. Hopefully they still allow Unsponsored applicants in the Nov UFT Board.

Thank you for your response. I found out that they like for you to be in your final semester. 15 semester hours or less remaining. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it for the summer board. I'll be in my last semester in the fall with a graduation date of December 5th. Hopefully they still allow Unsponsored applicants in the Nov UFT Board.

Got it, well it wouldnt hurt talking to units if you can. Im not sure if you are prior service, but the units i have spoken to are all for me trying for the november board they are holding. (Grad date December 10) I havent touched bases with my officer accessions recruiter since taking my AFOQT (no scores yet), but I might see if I can get my way in to whatever board I can. is the 15 units preferred ? Because IIRC the regulation states final year of college (could be wrong, too lazy to look through regs tonight).

Edited by DeltaTango