AFROTC vs Guard/Reserve?

Guest wizardpilot

Guest SnakeT38

Bozz are you same "vintage" as Tom Stanbury from the Zoo? I have had him as FO several times, he lives close by also. I also heard we hired Jim Burt from NYG fame..........started flying after

football. Can't wait to go to Alum U next year,

believe it or not, will be my first trip.

Guest SnakeT38

I know ALL about him, as I have always kept

up with USAFA "on the side", I am also a "big fan"

of the undersized guy that plays with a TON of heart. We talk about nothing but football as soon as the gear are in the well. He was a "stud" when I taught at CBM.

Guest Rainman A-10

I learned an important lesson as a Freshman (my first experience as a FNG).

Long story but a good lesson learned...

I was recruited as a linebacker. I was surprised when they had me wear a yellow swing player jersey the first month of practice. Suddenly I was spending half my time working with the offense. Next thing I know I'm moving from Fullback to Tackle...WTFO?! Tackle is the most mind boggling position on the team...23 different blocking calls and the hot tackle has to choose one, telling everyone who they are going to block, while the QB is calling cadence and the defense is shifting around forcing a different blocking call. HOLY CRAP, how did I end up here! I should've gone to Northwestern or the ZOO, they never even talked about O'Line! I thought staying in Minnesota and playing in front of my friends and family was going to be cool...what was I thinking?! The Linebackers are a bunch of party animals, these O'Linemen are WAY too F-ing serious...all they do is study the playbook, do squats, watch film, study, eat and study. They go everywhere together like a herd of cattle, they even have a separate bench that no one even tries to sit on (except a few of the linebackers and they always get their asses kicked for even trying) and they treat me like crap, especially when I make a mental error...like that's what this game is all about. They keep telling me that I better get serious and get my sh!t together or I'm going to get someone killed. What? I'll show you someone getting killed, wait till I start playing linebacker full time! I'm getting screwed! This is BS!

Then, to top it all off, the linebacker coach tells me the head coach wants to see me in his office and he has good news. I'm thinking to myself, sweet, lose this yellow jersey and get back on D where I belong. The head coach sits me down and says "I put my good athletes on defense and my smart athletes on offense. I'm making you an offensive lineman. Congrats."

Congrats! WTFO?! You can't say that to me! Was that supposed to be a compliment? I was an All State athlete and on every all star team in every sport I ever played growing up! That means I was good gaddammit!

I completely missed the point because all I could think about was myself. I am embarrassed when I look back at how immature and self-centered I was.

The O-line treated me better once I became a "full timer". I still couldn't sit on the Grunt Bench, I had to be a lineman for at least a year before I could sit there. The freshmen had to litterally sit on the ground at the feet of the experienced guys. Those guys taught me about dedication and effort and mental preparation and teamwork. They taught me how to be poised and violent at the same time. They taught me how to review film (little did I know...). They taught me about the quiet self-pride that comes from being part of an elite group that most people don't understand or pay attention to. They got respect from everyone on the team because they earned it. They taught me that playing on the O-line is the most physically demanding position on the team because it is the only position where you hit someone on every single play. They taught me about playing with injuries that would put mere mortals on bed rest for a month. They taught me how to enjoy grinding a defense down on an 80 yard scoring drive. No stupid dance in the end zone, just a few "good job, let's get another one" comments to each other in the huddle for the extra point and looks of respect from the defense when we came off the field. Ultimately, it was the best thing that had ever happened to me and all I could do was feel sorry for myself when the decision was first made.

Lesson learned.

Now I can pass that lesson on to my four jock kids. You play where the team needs you and you give 110% without whining. Mental first, physical second. Respect your team mates and your coaches. Don't be an ass because you made the team, be an example.

Just like being in the Air Force.

Being a member of the team is the most important thing, even if you're job is handing out towels and doing the team laundry.

Yes...Football!...the ultimate metaphor for everything else in life. (apologies to all who don't share our ethusiasm...perhaps your neck is just too thin)

Most of my brothers, fathers, and Gods were borne out of the gridiron.

Rainman, I've seen life from the perspective of a small fast offensive lineman and a big slow linebacker. Had to learn the linebacker position in college. It's not something you pick up overnight. Worked my ass off and may have started earlier at another position. I'd say it took me two years just to become competent.

The O-Line is all about intellect, mental and physical toughness, and craftsmanship. Linebacker is concentration, balls, and zen.

In the end I was a one year starter (played every snap on D my senior year) and did a good job. I would have loved to have been a three year starter...but that one season was worth it.

Lessons learned...

At times you'll be humbled--forced to honestly face your inability and mistakes. Keep trying. Repetition, Repetition, Repetition...

It's gratifying to master a difficult skill...something that not everybody can do. It later becomes a source of confidence and strength.

Kind of like being an Air Force Pilot!

• 1 month later...
Guest Anger65

I don't mean to chime in on the middle of your talks, but DAMN you guys got me all pumped up thinking about the old glory days, can't wait to get in the Guard or AF and get the comraderie and discipline!!!

[ 26. May 2005, 16:55: Message edited by: Anger65 ]

• 1 year later...

I have a question regarding joining the Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard. Is it possible to join and stay in College/AFROTC at the same time? I talked to one of the recruiter for the Reserve and they told me that once I receive commission, my term ends early as I'm transfering to Active Duty. The only reason I think of doing this is because I need fundings for college and for the experience before Field Training. I currently reside in Long Beach, CA with my family and they also are having financial issues and usually, I would be the one that is trying to support them as well but with college expense and commuting cost (gas) back and forth to college and AFROTC, it will be kind of difficult, so that is another reason as well. My other option is to work as a civilian for UPS or something but I would rather gain experience before Field Training. Another concern for me is when they call in military personnel for active duty when that time comes which can affect my time in college and AFROTC. Do you guys have any experience or went through the same process as me?

Originally posted by Ty:

I have a question regarding joining the Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard. Is it possible to join and stay in College/AFROTC at the same time? ... Another concern for me is when they call in military personnel for active duty when that time comes which can affect my time in college and AFROTC. Do you guys have any experience or went through the same process as me?

My only real experience with this is when I was enlisted. We had a ROTC cadet that did drill with us. From what I remember, he was already in the squadron when he joined ROTC. I'm not sure but I think when he commissioned, his enlisted committment was fulfilled. This was over 10 years ago, so it may have changed since then.

As for the activation or call to AD situation. I have personal experience with this- twice! Back in 1994 at the end of drill weekend, I was called into the commanders office and told I needed to be at Pope AFB NLT Friday (that's 5 days). I was in college at the time and I had no problem getting out of school. Just told the University what was happening and showed them my orders. Happened again in 1998. Nowadays, most colleges are used to this type of thing. But, most of these deployments are NOT involuntary, meaning you may not be required to go. It can be handled on a case-by-case basis.

You do need to realize that if you join the Guard/Reserve you do have a commitment to do your job. This could slightly interfere with some ROTC functions.

If you have not already done so, float these questions in the ROTC forum. There may be someone there with experience in this situation.

Ty,

It depends on a lot of factors. I am doning AFROTC and did not join the Guard or Reserve, but I did look into doing both, seemed pretty difficult and I got a lot of conflicting info on commitements and training pipelines. Also, remember, you have to go through basic and tech school. On the Army side of ROTC, they have a program where you are working at a Guard or Reserve unit as a third Lieutenant type set-up. But, there have been two cadets in my Det that have been in the Guard and one in the Reserves, and they didn't stay long.

They had a very difficult time balancing their Guard/Reserve commitements (both were crew chiefs) and also, they were deploying at least once a year for a few months.

I also understand the financial difficulties, I went into college without a scholarship as a Political Science major and worked for an AFROTC scholarship, it is possible. My family was in no position to provide any financial assistance.

Research college scholarships, call the financial aid offices, and research federal assistance. If your family is in a certain financial position that is truly pressed, you can get federal assistance.

In regards to experience before Field Training, your Detachement will handle that, most Dets have a pretty good training program for their cadets bound for FT.

Good luck.

If you withdraw from your classes due to activation, your tuition and fees will be refunded. There have been several people who have volunteered for deployments due to poor scores.

Guest Viperfixer

I'm an F-16 CC in the guard to pay for school. It became a lot more to me then the money when I got in and decided to join ROTC after tech school.

1. My enlistment date is beyond my commissioning date, you need to get a conditional release signed by your wing commander before you go to Field Training, which he does not have to sign. This release then lets you leave your guard commitment early

2. If your unit is deploying, and they say you have to go, college and ROTC gets put on hold. I have been lucky and was able to make up drills and stay home in order to finish field training and school. My commander is an ROTC grad and went the same route.

3. Remember the guard or reserve has priority over college and ROTC. The decision to enlist is not an easy one, especially if it is a means to get to ROTC. I enlisted not even knowing what ROTC was.