Questions on UPT Packet/Application Process

Guest delta

Once your packet gets to the Guard Bureau what exactly do they do with each packet? Do they look over each one individually and read all the comments, scores, letters of rec, and resume etc? Do they judge each packet in some sort of manner and then decide where to put people according to how they rack and stack among their peers? I'm just curious what amount of time is spent with each packet and how it's processed. I would imagine that candidates who are age critical or who have waivers in any way shape or form would get more attention.

Guest ANG_WANNABE

Hey guys,

I was planning on going to ATP school, but am reconsidering due to the mega-loan I would have to take out. Now I want to Go ANG and fly in a C-130 unit. My question: what do I do to get in and how do I get the process started? I graduate in May so I would like to be in UPT by next August if that is possible. I don't care where I fly or really what I fly, I just want a slot somewhere. What are your recommendations on what I should do? If you could, list it out in like a five step process. Currently, all I have is a 3.6 GPA and a private pilot license.

PS - Would it be beneficial for me to go ahead and get my instrument rating?

First, decide which unit you want to be a member of. Then get in contact with one of the base recruiters and explain to him your intentions, he will get you started. Do some research on the unit before you just jump in head first into some career field.

Second, you better buy some study guides and start studying up to take the AFOQT, get BAT taken, put a resume together, get about five or six EXCELLENT letters of rec, get degree and diploma, start typing a great cover letter, and round up any other awards, certificates and what not that makes you look good. Then, send as many packets around the country as you can. That is, if you don't mind where or who hires you. Getting a pilot slot is a time consuming process and I'd bet half of the guys on this board can tell you some horror stories of how long it took them to get to UPT. Like Bullmastiff said, you won't be heading to UPT by next August.

Third, I would HIGHLY recommend that you talk to some of the pilots in that squadron and let them know your intentions as well. Maybe, you'll decide that you don't want to enlist and instead try to get a slot as a civilian dude "off the street." It can be done either way, but the enlisted guys will get looked at first. My own personal opionion, I wish I would have enlisted.

Fourth, there's also the reserve route and AD as well. Great way to spread yourself out to get that slot.

Fifth, ahh hell, I could write a book here on how to go about trying to get a slot, but if you want to talk more just PM me. I'll give you as much knowledge as I have, whether it's good or bad who knows:) Good luck!

Guest JArcher00

When you are ready to send in a package, send a picture. As dumb as it was, the guys at my unit said it made a difference when it came to deciding who to invite and when interviewing was over, placing a face again with the package after your gone. Good luck.

At least in the previous administration (anyone remember Felix Hooks! ) they would review them for completeness, then check all the qualifying details...PCSM, AFOQT, etc to make sure the people selected met the minimum ANG standards. From there, they would determine if a waiver was needed and then write a staff summary sheet and start it in the waiver loop, which is a 90-150 day process it seems. Of course, not everyone needs a waiver, so those that are otheriwse eligible and have everything (AETC approved flight physical seems to be a common holdup) they approve it and give out the dates.

IIRC, they were processing them first-come, first-served but that was a couple of years ago now. Don't know how the "new" guy is handling it (sts). We had one guy who was waiting on a vision waiver and passed the age limit while his package was at NGB, so they just re-wrote the SSS and added a caveat for the age limit. Having seen that process...doesn't sound like they give priority to age-critical folks, as there is always a backlog of age-critical folks so none of the young pups would ever get a class date if that was the case.

Depends on whether you need any waivers or not. A WAG on my part would be about a month, if your package (sts) is complete . I needed a 5 year commissioned service waiver and it took over 150 days.

Heres how it went from me. I was selected in August 2003 as a FY05 pilot. In October 03 I completed and passed the flight physical. Then I sat and waited until October 04 when I finally wsa told to come and swear in as an E-3. I signed all the paperwork that I needed to sign (ones saying that I am not gay, that I am not addicted to drugs, etc...) then the packet sat on someones desk until Jan when they finally decided that they should send it to State HQ, then they approved it and then they sent it to NGB.

This is how things work at the 108th and NJ, I dont know if its like that everywhere but thats how things went for me. Now remeber I am not prior service either and I live 6 hours away, so I may have been forgot about because I did harass them, then again I was told that I was select for FY05 which starts in October 04 and goes to September 05.

Its been alot of waiting, which sucks, but whatever, things are rolling along now, and hopefully I will be in the May AMS class. ( boy I hope so )

• 1 month later...
Guest StarzNStripez

Hey there,

I emailed a recruiter and he said most guard officer positions are for enlisted personnel who want to become officers, except like doctors and stuff. I'm not prior enlisted, but i did AFROTC in college (didn't finish, but didn't get disenrolled so i'm okay) so I have the AFOQT done. I'm not looking to be a pilot either. What I'm wondering is that is there a possibility of not being enlisted in the ANG and not going for pilot or doctor or nurse and still get an AMS Guard Slot? I really want to do this, but after having a taste of officer life through ROTC, i don't wanna go enlisted. Any advice on what I should do in order to prepare? Also, do you think there are positions opened that aren't on the website? Well thanks for your help!

Guest SnakeT38
Originally posted by StarzNStripez:

Hey there,

I emailed a recruiter and he said most guard officer positions are for enlisted personnel who want to become officers, except like doctors and stuff. I'm not prior enlisted, but i did AFROTC in college (didn't finish, but didn't get disenrolled so i'm okay) so I have the AFOQT done. I'm not looking to be a pilot either. What I'm wondering is that is there a possibility of not being enlisted in the ANG and not going for pilot or doctor or nurse and still get an AMS Guard Slot? I really want to do this, but after having a taste of officer life through ROTC, i don't wanna go enlisted. Any advice on what I should do in order to prepare? Also, do you think there are positions opened that aren't on the website? Well thanks for your help!

Most all ANG units have the need for the other positions that are in any AD Wing, also exist in the Guard (Cops, Logisitics, Mx etc etc). Best to have a plan for a REAL job too, (civilian) when putting all this together.

Guest StarzNStripez

Thanks Snake! What do you think I should do if I'm not prior service and I want an officer job not listed on the ANG or unit websites or a job listed but no more openings? Like I said, I talked to that recruited and he said most openings are for the enlisted wanting to become officers. Oh yeah, I know I need a civilian job too, I'm planning on going to graduate school while doing the ANG. I really want to become an officer, I should have stayed in ROTC!! Well, any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Guest SnakeT38

Best to call the either the individiual unit commander or the Wing Commander, recruiters are

the "secretary" after you talk to someone that does the "hiring and firing" just like a real job.

Go ask the UNIT what they may have coming up, the website may not project manning increases/decreases, retirements, transfers etc.

• 1 year later...
Guest ferrell18

I have just begun to do some research on the Air National Guard and UPT. I'm just trying to get some more info on how to start the process and where to go from here. Is the first step taking the AFOQT and then putting together a packet or are there a few steps before that? Also, is there a specific time when units do interviews or does that vary for each unit and there needs? Also, how long does it usually take to get all the tests and paperwork completed before it can be turned in.

My last question is regarding age. I just turned 28, I have a 4 year degree, I'm prior service (Marines), and currently work as a commercial pilot (with about 1800 flight hrs). My question is with my age is it too late to begin this whole process since there is the age 30 rule? I know this process takes time but just how much time I'm not sure. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Robes

Ferrell,

Get your AFOQT taken ASAP... you need to have this done before you are able to send in packages. (units want to make sure you qualify the basic test) I would figure out what units you all want to apply for and start putting feelers out. If you get the AFOQT done here in the next month you should be good to go for the summer boards. I would say that you need to get picked up this summer/fall for the age thing. It is possible to get everything (Physical, AMS, Brooks) done and have a UPT date less than a year from the interview, but it takes a lot of pushing and the planets to line up.

Never give up in the process.

Robes

Guest phil413

I agree, you should not get discouraged or give up, but you need to get started immediately. The fact that you're prior service will help. The odds that it will all happen in time are not good. Even if you had already been selected, you'd probably be close to a year away from starting UPT. That being said, I do know of someone who was selected last summer, and is now 6 weeks into UPT. For me it took 2 years and 8 months from the time I was selected to UPT start date. If you add in the time from when I started taking my tests, it was well over three years. I, however, had to wait for a medical waiver and my security clearance took a full year. The sooner you can start talking to the recruiters at all the units you're interested in, the better. Some units are better at pushing guys through faster than others. Remember too, everything is waiverable, including age (just not likely). Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you have.

You are not too old, but you do need to get started immediately. You are going to be hard pressed to get everything done, but you have to try. Follow all advice above, particularly using the search function. There is tons of info on this site! You just have to find it. We will help as much as we can. Take your AFOQT, find a unit you are interested in and contact them, this should get you started in the right direction. Best of luck.

• 7 months later...
Guest thebrown88

A little about myself:

Currently putting together packet for USMC OCC Aviation. Just found out that my waiver for contact lenses wont be approved. After serching on this site I think that I might be in the limits for the vision waiver for the AF.

So here is my question:

-Does the ANG or AFRES have someone like the OSO(Marine Officer Selection Officer)to help a candidate put together their packet? The enlisted ANG recruiter that I talked to just gave me a list of things to have for my packet but no contact info or how to get the items completed.

-The enlisted recruiter also said that I would not get a flight physical until I had been accepted by a unit. Is there anyway to take a physical before you start your packet to see if you even qualify?

thebrown,

This website is pretty much your help for putting together a packet for the ANG/AFRC. LOTS of folks on here have been through the process. Read and search this board and the aviation jobs listings at baseops.net, and if your questions still remain unanswered, we'd be happy to help you out.

There is no specific person for the ANG to help you get your stuff together, but a lot of units typically have websites with all of the requirements listed (NH, AK, ME, VT all have good Officer Hiring pages on their websites - you should check them out) as well as a POC. The POC is usually either the chief pilot, DO, or a new pilot whos responsibility is to collect the apps and make sure they are complete before they meet the board. They are also a good source of info.

I will caveat that by saying don't call them and ask them to hold your hand through the process. If you call them (I'm one of them for now) and ask them a question that is clearly stated on the website, you are wasting everyone's time. Plenty of folks out there are able to find the answers on their own and take the initiative.

It's not a secret. The info's out there.

Best of luck and check back with any questions.

As for the flight physical, you may want to query up in the medical forum. I was able to get one, but I was Active Duty. I have had folks apply who were able to get them and they included the results with their apps.

My best guess would be to call and sweet talk them. If you know someone on base, they may be able to help. I'd ask the medics/docs in the Aviation Medicine forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mr_gordon777

For the reserves, you need to contact the officer assessions (sp) recruiter. They can help you with the package and setting up tests. They seem to be regional. If you go to the AFRES website, http://www.afrc.af.mil, their phone number SHOULD be able to connect with your local person. You should also call the units you want to fly for and state your interest, http://www.afrc.af.mil/units/unitsbystate.asp. Let them know that you have all your ducks-in-a-row. They will be more impressed and view you as a more serious candidate...as has been my experience. Hope this helps.

[ 21. December 2006, 11:25: Message edited by: DILLA ]

• 2 years later...
Guest Miclhstrase

I noticed that most units require a photo of yourself with your application package. I have some ideas of why they do this, but am I right? I see it as a way for them to make sure your in decent physical condition, and to ensure there's nothing obviously wrong with you. Or is it really a way for them to determine your potential for helping them pick up girls at bars? haha

Guest pilotapplicant

Yah that's It. I think it is so if they meet you and/or interview you they have a face to put with a name to keep track of whether you were the idiot telling bad jokes or the guy who seemed cool but didn't say much.

Guest palmettopilot

Yah that's It. I think it is so if they meet you and/or interview you they have a face to put with a name to keep track of whether you were the idiot telling bad jokes or the guy who seemed cool but didn't say much.

Its also a good way to see an applicants personal appearance.

Guest TheBurt

I noticed that most units require a photo of yourself with your application package. I have some ideas of why they do this, but am I right? I see it as a way for them to make sure your in decent physical condition, and to ensure there's nothing obviously wrong with you. Or is it really a way for them to determine your potential for helping them pick up girls at bars? haha

To determine your weight, appearance, race, gender. A very benign easy way to have all these questions answered without having to ask, to avoid those pesky class action legal problems.

It also gives us something to laugh at after sitting in that stuffy room for 8+ hours and we're trying to remember who the F that second guy after lunch was.