Questions on UPT Packet/Application Process

Guest delta

It also gives us something to laugh at after sitting in that stuffy room for 8+ hours and we're trying to remember who the F that second guy after lunch was.

Glad to know my interviews were all before lunch.

Just a word of advice: if your squadron does ask for a picture, look the part. Not you with a red cup in your hand smiling. Tie, jacket, etc.

Glad to know my interviews were all before lunch.

Just a word of advice: if your squadron does ask for a picture, look the part. Not you with a red cup in your hand smiling. Tie, jacket, etc.

I don't know, a picture with the red cup in your hand, and a few hot coeds...would definitely get your package looked at more. (STS)

Guest JSpoon

I'm not very good looking so I skipped the picture and brought 2 growlers of my home brew. It seemed to work! :beer:

• 1 year later...

I got picked up by a guard unit to attend UPT. I am a non-prior civilian but will be swearing-in in February. I was hoping someone could brief me on what to expect next. Where do my class dates come from? I am assuming the NGB gives me some of them. Will they give me my FCI date, AMS, IFS, UPT, land and water survival dates and will I get them all at the same time? Historically, how long does it take to get dates once paperwork has been submitted? Do I have to get my FC1 before AMS? Thanks in advance!

Edited by H-10btr

I got picked up by a guard unit to attend UPT. I am a non-prior civilian but will be swearing-in in February. I was hoping someone could brief me on what to expect next. Where do my class dates come from? I am assuming the NGB gives me some of them. Will they give me my FCI date, AMS, IFS, UPT, land and water survival dates and will I get them all at the same time? Historically, how long does it take to get dates once paperwork has been submitted?

Congrats. Everyone leans forward in the straps once they get the call; it's a long and often boring road to get through the paperwork and get dates. It might take 2 years to get dates; be patient. It sucks to sit around at drill for 13 months and have everyone ask if you have dates yet; laugh it off.

You'll spend a day filling out paperwork for your security clearance, enlistment, etc. You'll go between recruiting, base training, finance, and probably security forces to get everything squared away. Expect multiple visits to multiple offices. At most units you should be able to take care of most of this on drill weekends. This will get you birthed into the various DoD computer systems, none of which are connected to one another.

A warning on "when will I get my dates"? Don't waste too much time war-gaming when you will get those Christmas presents (there are other threads on here discussing how long dates have taken to get). Some dudes get all their dates at once; others find out randomly, and everything in between. They all come from the NGB through your base training manager, so find out who that is if you don't know already. Some guys have been able to call the NGB and speak directly to the pipeline manager, but I'd definitely go through your unit before doing that.

Do I have to get my FC1 before AMS? Thanks in advance!

Make sure you do, and make sure any waivers you need are 100% approved before going to AMS.

Congrats. Everyone leans forward in the straps once they get the call; it's a long and often boring road to get through the paperwork and get dates. It might take 2 years to get dates; be patient. It sucks to sit around at drill for 13 months and have everyone ask if you have dates yet; laugh it off.

You'll spend a day filling out paperwork for your security clearance, enlistment, etc. You'll go between recruiting, base training, finance, and probably security forces to get everything squared away. Expect multiple visits to multiple offices. At most units you should be able to take care of most of this on drill weekends. This will get you birthed into the various DoD computer systems, none of which are connected to one another.

A warning on "when will I get my dates"? Don't waste too much time war-gaming when you will get those Christmas presents (there are other threads on here discussing how long dates have taken to get). Some dudes get all their dates at once; others find out randomly, and everything in between. They all come from the NGB through your base training manager, so find out who that is if you don't know already. Some guys have been able to call the NGB and speak directly to the pipeline manager, but I'd definitely go through your unit before doing that.

Make sure you do, and make sure any waivers you need are 100% approved before going to AMS.

Thanks for the reply. I just found some of those threads discussing the process that you were referring to and I think I got the gist of it; patience is a virtue. :thumbsup:

Congratulations. My best piece of advice is to act as though you've not yet been hired. Nothing happens until it happens. There is no need to tell you boss anything until you've passed the flying physical, sworn in, and received your AMS start date. Guys have been passed over for airframe upgrades after excitingly telling their SkyWest chief pilot that they're UPT bound, only to wait around for 18 months until finally going to AMS. Celebrate for a week and then get back to reality. Cheers.

Congratulations. My best piece of advice is to act as though you've not yet been hired. Nothing happens until it happens. There is no need to tell you boss anything until you've passed the flying physical, sworn in, and received your AMS start date. Guys have been passed over for airframe upgrades after excitingly telling their SkyWest chief pilot that they're UPT bound, only to wait around for 18 months until finally going to AMS. Celebrate for a week and then get back to reality. Cheers.

+1

I've been waiting for dates as well as interviewing at a few regionals in the mean time. Already sworn in, I'm technically in - so one of the questions on the app asked if you are/were AD, Guard, Reserve, etc... so I put Guard - trying to be honest and not falsify any information. One of the first questions during the interview asked specifically about the Guard ... well I was honest and upfront about it. The mood in the interview turned pretty quick. Everything else went well, but the rejection letter was in the email the next morning. Not saying it was directly related to it... but the mood in the interview and several follow up questions certainly pointed to that. Guess I can't blame them. I wouldn't have answered the question any differently in hind sight...

Just as a heads up, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I know most Units want a picture, and that's no problem, but what if a picture isn't on the list? Would it be smarter to still send one in, or just skip it?

Cheers,

Ramathorn

Only send what they ask for. That's a good way to package tossed (STS) if you don't follow directions.