USMC/Marine to ANG/AFR transfer

Guest Benzo

Warriors,

Are any of you ANG/AFRES pilots (or UPT students) former USMC ground guys?

Im an active duty 0402 in Iraq EASing this July. Curious to know if your USMC experience helped/hindered your UPT selection and what your transition was like- AMS, etc if needed.

Thanks.

S/F

Ben

Benzo,

Are you going ANG/AFRES. What did you getting to fly? Seems like we are in similar shoes. I would have loved to stay in the Reserves and fly but it is impossible to fly in the USMCR without doing the 8 year thing.

Guest phrogpilot

LogO? All I can say is do not turn in your commision. I was asked by my Recruiter (E rank) to resign my commission, but it is impossible to get the commision back (Congress). You should look for an Executive Officer position in a NG or Reserve Unit. Once established as an AF Officer, it will be easier to get that Pilot Slot. You will not have to attend any Form of OCS, you are already an Officer. As for xterra comments I am a bit confused, most Marine Reserve Pilots are drawn from a pool of Marine Flyers who left active duty service. I am a former flyer from the Marine Corps. A side note: The unofficial motto of Marine Corps Reserve Air - "Don't Make Me Quite Again."

Phrog pilot,

Yeah, Im a loggie. Thanks for the gouge. Not intending to resign my comission- but I am EASing. need to see what life is like on the other side. Had thought about picking up a reserve 0302 slot (my preferred ground MOS) which I can do with ease but when I heard about the opportunity to UPT my way into an ANG unit, thought I would check it out. Always wanted jets or helos- got to Pcola and I found out I was too tall for both...

Dont make me quit again? doesnt sound too motivating. Are you ANG or AFRES? What has the transition been like, culturally from green to light blue?

Ben

Benzo,

Being a Marine officer is a plus. Since you are a ground guy, I'm not sure that helps as much as if you were already a flyer. We have a few former Marines in my unit, but both were already flyers. I'm not sure that I would look for a non-flying job first, just to get you in the Guard. If you get your private pilots license, it would just be a madder of finding a unit that wants to send you to UPT. Certainly leadership in combat has to be a big plus and I would imagine that it would be pretty impressive to an interview board. Just my 2 cents...Good luck to you!

Guest AirGuardian

We have at least four former ground pounders currently. One is a UPS guy, another was a 141 engineer after his tour in the Marines and now flys our C-17s. We have one in UPT and a recent UPT graduate doing great flying with us. But, his dad is a Loadmaster in the unit so he was easily tamed... The one in UPT is having a hard time since it's his job as SRO to keep'm in control and the normal UPT student chooses when to be a team player and when to break away and do things on their own. It's not a dig, it's just that some study alone, play together, party together, just have been quite independent and roudy after college which is a great thing for a young pilot to build. Especially since that crazy "outside of the box" and follow the guidline thinking is stressed so often. I think the former Marine in UPT is calming down a bit more since he's trying to strangle a bunch of LT's rather than hard charging Marines! I think he's learned that you can do only so much with'em, they either get caught or don't get caught doing whatever they did!

Back to the point of all this - The former Marines have adjusted well after they realize things don't happen rapidly until they really need to within the Guard and even then it's questionable. You just gotta keep pushing and things eventually turn out. If you don't worry too much, then you'll do just fine!

I'm guessing the Marine stuff helped in the beginning since it was actual records we could look at and understand truthfully, rather than civilian records or LOR's. Since we have four of them, we basically have a small squad and that seems to be enuff I've gathered; otherwise we may sway to the more rigid tempo and stern style the Proud and Few exhibit. We need to keep our laid back Guard culture. We just picked up the last two this past year and a half! Everything is really taken with a grain of salt though, at least until the unit meets the candidate(s). We hire people, not paper. After they mellowed out a little, they definitely haven't left and that speaks alot! Godspeed!

Guest Rainman A-10

Benzo,

We just hired a Marine. He is already a pilot. My unit has always been a fan of USMC PS guys. In fact, our last Wing/CC was a USMC grunt in Vietnam.

I think it depends on the unit whether or not you join first and then apply for a pilot slot later. We tend to select more guys for UPT that are already in the wing than we hire off the street.

1.800.AIR.9151

Check Six over there.

Guest brrttshwn

I am a former Marine and just commissioned on Friday in the Air Force (ANG guy). I can tell you in my case that it definitely helped in getting a pilot slot. I was enlisted in the Corps so I can't help you out with the officer situation. AMS is a different animal all together. You make a lot of the decisions and you are not told how to do everything. You are given guidance and expected to make decisions and be accountable for them. From what I have experienced in the Guard I think they'll have to kick me out before I'll get out.

• 6 months later...
Guest roy moore

I am KC--130J transport plane commander in the USMC. In the next year, I need to likely start looking at options as I approach the end of my current tour. I have an interest in ANG flying either with a Herc unit or with possibly alarger airframe. What follow on training am I subject to for Air Guard Hercs? I have been a plane commander in Marine F/R/T Hercs (like E and H's). What about for heavies? Just looking for some feedback.

If you are an Aircraft Commander in a current C-130 model, then there shouldn't be any follow-on training. You are qualified to fly the herc. If you go to a Guard unit, the chances are you will start off in the right seat. This gives the unit a chance to evaluate you and see what kind of guy/pilot you are. It is not a knock against you personally, this happens to everyone. After being in the right seat for a while (time frame can vary greatly), the unit will cert you, again, as an AC.

Although, you timing may not be the best. We find out the results of the BRAC this week. If it goes thru as is, there may be a shortage of C-130 cockpits in the Guard/Reserve. Everyone keep their fingers crossed that the Herc world is not turned upside down. We are hearing the results could be posted as early as Thursday evening.

• 2 years later...
Guest CAVEMAN

Hey y'all:

I am a USMC Supply Officer right now and I have been thinking about flying. In fact the only reason I did not fly for the Corps is because of my eye sight. It was not as bad but Naval Medicine seems to have a stricter eye requirement. I am now in the Reserves and it will take an act of Congress to ever get a flying Job in the Marine Corps. I means I would have to go back AD and then turn in a package for a board that only picks 2 ground officers every year. So I need to looke elsewhere.

I am on my way overseas actually but when I get back, I plan on submitting a package to any unit out there. I have not passed my 5 years of commissioned service and age is not an issue. College GPA is not that strong but I am currently working on my Masters Degree. I will be getting a Private pilots license when I return.

I live in VA and was wondering what units would be reasonable. I understand I need to go in to the unit more than one weekend a month and so I need to be within reasonable commuting distance. I am not particular about airframe. I would in fact rather heavies, helicopters or A-10's (not particular about fighters). I am not particular on whether Guard or Reserve. Hell, I will take an AD job.

My big concern is really not alienating my USMC command while in the process of turning in the package. I have heard the USMC frowns greatly with interservice transfer and should I be denied a spot, things could end up badly.

Is anyone on here in similar situation and would not mind helping me out. All the information I found seem to be for guys that are already flying.

Thanks again.

I did the enlisted Marine to guard thing. All I can say is call the units that you are interested in and ask them directly.

As far as Caveman's situation and the Marines frowning upon a transfer....you gotta pay to play!

If I was in your shoes, I would try to increase my chances of selection by doing the things you mentioned as well as getting the flight physical out of the way (specially since you didn't qualify for naval aviation). As far as the GPA, the guard works in mysterious ways. Go talk to them and if they like you they will get you in the unit.

Benzo/Caveman, I'm a former Jarhead now in the Air Guard. The Guard's unofficial motto is "the Guard, it's kind of like the military." I run the hiring process in our unit right now. As long as your commitment is up or soon will be, leaving the USMC is not a problem. You guys can't do a Palace Chase like the AD AF and finish out your committment in Guard. Your main problem is finding a unit to hire you to fly. That puts you in the same boat as most of the other guys trying to go to UPT except you are already commissioned. We are interviewing 2 guys right now who are already AD AF guys. Your commission should transfer over easily enough. Your current unit does not need to know you are shopping around. Don't tell them until you are hired. The big thing is to arrange your exit from the USMCR one day and into the Guard the next. You do not want any broken time or you will get screwed in rank. I went from 0-4 to 0-3 for a year and a half. Lost a lot of cash just because no one at the unit knew. I believe, but I am not sure, that if you stay in the IRR that will prevent any broken time. I recommend you read From Gold to Blue. It is on this web site and it explains some of the Guard-isms you may encounter. It is a very different place. I was banned from MPF(admin) for a year, unless I was supervised by an 0-5, because I told the MPF OIC that he was F***ed up. Some people here are very good because they have done their job for years, some really suck because you can't fire them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mlakin130

I went from UH-1Ns/T-34Cs to the ANG in 2000. Eight years in the Marine Corps and I now have 8 years in the Guard. Been selected for 0-5 and can plan to fly for the next 10 years or so. About 2000 hours in Herk now. I work as a corporate pilot as my full time gig.

I'd say go for it! The key to success in a guard unit is to do your job, keep your opinion to yourself, and be reliable.

It's a good place to go after the Corps, but don't expect it to be anything like what your "military" was like. It's more like a corporation with an emphasis on military operations. Try not to insult anyone, as you will have to work with them for the next 10-20 years.

Best of Luck!