Outcomes of dropout/SIE (Self Initiated Elimination)

Guest kubtastic

Guest kubtastic

I'm not one of those people who are 100% sure they want to fly for the next decade. Reading on this forum motivates me to fly though... other things don't, like being a left coast tree-hugger. Regardless:

what are the consequences of SIE from UPT? $? Retrain? FWIW I start in January so I have time. I signed my assignment RIP a couple months ago now. (aslo, usafa '05 so the $ part might be different).

Flame me through PM's. THey'll be more fun.

Guest Hydro130

You are ripe for the Force Shape... Sorry to say it.

Unless you were a techie-geek out of the Zoo, you are are simply a dot to the USAF if you SIE...

Best of luck, Hydro

Obligatory HYDRO EDIT: Dude! You are a Zoomie! WTF do you want to do with your life if not fly?!? It's not like you went to The Zoo for the quality of the education...

Hydro

[ 30. April 2006, 19:32: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]

From what I've heard from some of the AFOATS higher ups is that an AFA Sie will cost a little more than $200,000.00 for you to pay back for college expenses. You may want to sitck it out.

I heard something like usafa guys pay back a small fee of $158,000 and lose their commission if they sie out of upt. Think hard and long about this before you go to UPT b/c there are many other people waiting on the alternate list that would love the opportunity to go to pilot training. I'd say you would have a better shot at changing your afsc now if you told them then after you sie'd out of upt. Good luck

[ 30. April 2006, 19:31: Message edited by: wnanna ]

Guest PilotKD

Were you not one of those people who are 100% sure they want to fly for the next decade before you started UPT or is this just something recent? Were you flying airplanes before you went to the USAFA?

Guest kubtastic

I don't start upt for another 8 months...

for the record, I got the pilot assignment mostly by accident. The computer-based thing I selected my choices through had separate lists for Rated and non-Rated choices. I should've left the rated blank so that I'd be a 62 right now.

[ 30. April 2006, 19:46: Message edited by: cafb0805 ]

Originally posted by cafb0805:

for the record, I got the pilot assignment mostly by accident.

A great example of what happens without competition. You've got ROTC guys giving their left nuts to be pilots and it just falls in the laps of academy cadets.

[ 30. April 2006, 20:13: Message edited by: wnanna ]

• Upvote 1

Guest T38driver

For the sake of those who want to fly, do not start UPT thinking you may SIE. Go to your Supervisor ASAP and tell them you want to do something else! If you do SIE out of UPT, you will most likely be eliminated from the Air Force, regardless of commissioning source. Like others have already stated, if you have some type of technical degree, then you could get retained. UPT is not for the weak hearted!

Guest kubtastic

well, what's the best way to go for me if I want to get separated, with a technical BS and MS?

[ 30. April 2006, 20:27: Message edited by: cafb0805 ]

You just went through the Academy, got a pilot slot on accident and you don't even want it, and now you're asking how to separate?

Jesus Christ. Can you even fathom how far I would go to give up my nav slot and take your pilot slot?

Either give 100%, or for the sake of hundreds of those like me who aren't going to UPT, go to your commander right now and turn it down.

Guest uniballvisionmicro

get sick and say you cant fly. seriously though, i dont know of anyone who has had to pay back a dime. that being said, you need to talk to someone and get out of the UPT program... there are a lot of dudes who would love to be in your shoes. You dont even want a non-rated career? Whyd you go to AFA?

Guest knof8

If you SIE, and are even kept by the AF you can never go back to a rated position again.

Guest Smash

Dude, the best way for you to get separated is to change your AFSC, do 4 years, and then get out. If you SIE from UPT you will piss everyone off, have to recoup a six figure dollar amount for your academy time, and you will be kick out with a punitive separation code of “un-trainable”. This means that if you ever want to work of a federal government agency you will have to get a wavier.

Guest KoolKat

62 says it all...

Good on you for trying to figure it out before you go.

I wanted to fly, gave myself a 62 slot...It was one of the coolest non-flying gigs I can ever imagine...

But...I wanted to fly...so I was fourtanate to get out of there.

Don't let these guys tell you that your an idiot for wanting to do something other than fly...

There are alot of jobs in the USAF, 62 included, that rock with your **** out.

I still email people at that job I had, and talk to the contractors on the phone, becuase I care how the projects work out. It was important shit. Shit that bros use everyday...They need the best products we can give them.

If you decide to go to UPT, do it for the right reasons...it's not easy, it's not going to work out if you don't go in with the right mind set. UPT is NO PLACE to play catch up...your already behind.

If you decide to go the 62 route, there isn't anything wrong with that. Someone will gladly fill the UPT spot. Go do your thing...

If you go 62...Be EXTREMELY proactive. If your a sharpe dude, you can basically pick your job. It's a HUGE career field, it's extremely easy to find something interesting.

The Golden boy in my UPT class was a 62 from wright-pat, working on the F-22...doing centrifuge testing of new G-suits... If that isn't a cool gig, I can tell you about what they let me do as a 62...

PM me if you want to hear about that...

BENDY

EDIT: Don't worry about SIE either, 62 is a "recalled" career field, as is a pilot. That was the only reason I was able to get out of 62. Jumped from "recall" to "recall." The only other guy I ever knew that got out of 62 went on to be a combat controller. Sharp dude. I saw guys try for OSI, etc...Doesn't hapen. Bottom line, they own you, if your not going to be a pilot, then your going to be a 62. They don't force shape "recalled" AFSCs. That was the whole point of classifying AFSCs.

[ 30. April 2006, 21:16: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest PilotKD

OMG, you got a pilot slot by accident?

You know, when I applied to OTS for a pilot slot, there were 16 slots available for the board I was sending my package in for. That's 16 slots for the ENTIRE country. My recruiter had 8 other individuals in addition to me who were competing for the slots and that was just in my specific region alone. Can you imagine how many UPT packages they had to go through to select only 16 people? You better believe I felt quite privileged to be selected. Now, can you imagine if after getting to UPT, I SIE'd? I can't imagine getting a slot "by accident".

Tell me, besides putting up with BS for a couple of years, what other requirements are there to actually get a pilot slot out of the Academy? I knew a guy at UPT who graduated with a 2.2 GPA out of there and still got a slot (and was the type of guy who liked to advertise it). I'm just wondering what kind of standards they have. Not to say everyone out of there is a slacker, but it seems as though if you have a heartbeat, you're qualified.

And yes, talk to someone about taking another assignment. If you don't think you're going to be happy with that career field and it was an "accident", don't just live with it.

[ 30. April 2006, 21:25: Message edited by: PilotKD ]

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by cafb0805:

well, what's the best way to go for me if I want to get separated, with a technical BS and MS?

Dude!

You want totally OUT now?!?

WTF were you wasting four years the The Zoo for?!? That's 4 years of your life you'll never get back... Too bad....

You need some professional help, man.

You have issues...

Hydro

Guest KoolKat

Going to the AFA is a commitment to the USAF in and of itself. If you want to be a pilot, you should be able too. I didn't go to the AFA, I asked to be a pilot, I didn't offer the AF any commitment or effort in ROTC...I'm not even a zoomie, and I can say they deserve to get a little bit of preference if they want a pilot slot. They did something I didn't...I just drank beer, chased poon and showed up to march my flight around a box one day a week.

All this "hardcore or die" talk about UPT isn't totally right either...

Those that have BTDT like to say that...

Whether you want this or not, sure...that has to be figured out, UPT isn't the place to figure it out. Only start UPT if you WANT to be a pilot.

I really want to vomit when people piss on others because they [EDIT: aren't] sure if it's worth the effort you have to put in, then the time you have to do it.

Being a pilot isn't all hilary clinton and you don't get free F'in' blow jobs for finishing UPT.

Get real. It's about how much you enjoy your job...and there are, for many people, jobs that aren't flying that you can be VERY happy doing.

Pilots are people. The posters on this board are people. It's funny how every poster on this board has a stupid looking ass face.

Pilots would be intel officers if it wasn't for people that were happy doing a job that wasn't a pilot.

baaaaaaaa....

BENDY

[ 30. April 2006, 21:36: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest KoolKat

Everyone just sticky that post to your f_cking forehead...

When I started ROTC, I didn't know I'd like being a military pilot.

"What's it like to fly a Tweet?"

This is the exact reason why I like the fact we have FAIPs.

It's so easy to lose touch with what it's like to be in a truely FNG's position...

I can say my FAIPs were good shit...good peeps..good teachers.

BENDY

Guest KoolKat

Don't just seperate. That would be, well...stupid.

If it's your call, be the man...serve you f'in' country like you said you would...get a good 62 job, and learn everything you can while your doing your 4 years.

If you do that, the experience you gain will get you a better job than you can get if you bail now.

If you want to bail now...I'm with Hydro.

That makes you a coward, a tool, alot of other words I'll spare you...

You said you wanted to help us...you still want to do that, right?

BENDY

EDIT: and the zoo doesn't count as your combat tour...regardless of how rough it was on you.

[ 30. April 2006, 21:59: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest goirishgo

It's my understanding that if you change AFSCs before you get to UPT, you will not be force shaped because ostensibly the AF didn't spend any money to train you as a pilot. I think the force shaping becomes a player when they have to "re-train" you for another career.

Talk it up now to get the best option for you.

Guest KoolKat

In general, you can't change AFSCs before UPT.

If your a cadet, you have no AFSC...

If you have a AFSC, it doesn't change to [EDIT: 92T0, I don't even know what I meant by what I said before, just couldn't think of the code, I guess] until you start training at your UPT base...

Force shaping is a player for EVERYONE. Even pilots, so don't be a jerk-off...It can happen to you too!

The money thing is a player, they would rather cut intel officers than rated dudes...that makes sense.

But, most officer career fields don't "train" people. Most officer career fields just let you loose and do on the job training...

Being in a "recalled" field is the only place you aren't subject to RIF or FS...unless your a douche bag...then you are too...

gipper, I'm not sure where your comin' from there...It is a valid point that they don't want to waste money they put into you, but if you have a skill we need, your gonna go there...

BENDY

[ 01. May 2006, 05:07: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest Hydro130

Again, why the h#ll did you go to The Zoo if you were after an eductation versus a flying slot?

Does not compute...

Hydro