Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Guest NateERAU

Changing/switching units

Recommended Posts

Not sure what you are referring to here, the cost of attendance at both schools is very comparable. Ole Miss looks like ~$600 more a year. Pick the school you want to go to.

http://sfa.msstate.edu/cost/

http://www.olemiss.e...attendance.html (this includes non-resident fee's)

I know in MS everyone talks up MS State for Engineering vs. Ole Miss but I can tell you it doesn't matter. As an undergraduate, everyone (engineering) pretty much starts on the same playing field in the workforce, assuming you went to an ABET accredited school.

hmm, I didnt know they were the same price, I must have heard wrong :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thread revivial and piggy-backing off Taco,

I am selected for UPT from my unit that is "forecasted" to be closing. I understand the idea of switching units that are guard/reserve affiliated, but is it possible to go to an active duty unit from the reserves? I have scoured the interwebs looking for answers but nothing seems to be crystal. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thread revivial and piggy-backing off Taco,

I am selected for UPT from my unit that is "forecasted" to be closing. I understand the idea of switching units that are guard/reserve affiliated, but is it possible to go to an active duty unit from the reserves? I have scoured the interwebs looking for answers but nothing seems to be crystal. Any help/advice is appreciated.

I'm not the authority on this by any means, but pretty much once you're in the ARC, you're there permanently. To go on active duty requires pretty much a rated recall program to open up. The last one was in 2009 and offered 2-3 year tours. I was accepted into a Limited Period Recall program back in 2002 and spent almost 3 years on active duty, before they ended the program. While I was on my LPRP tour there was also a permanent recall program that was opened up as well. Right now, given the current Administration and fiscal health of the country, I don't see any of the recall programs opening up anytime soon.

Edited by Loach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread revival...

 

Civilian living the cubicle life. Recently picked up by KC-135 ANG unit for UPT. Swore in and now waiting to get sent to FC1 in a couple months. Hypothetically, if I get picked up by a fighter squadron before or after my FC1, would I be able to drop the 135 unit even though I’ve sworn in already? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 6:05 PM, CubeWarrior said:

Thread revival...

 

Civilian living the cubicle life. Recently picked up by KC-135 ANG unit for UPT. Swore in and now waiting to get sent to FC1 in a couple months. Hypothetically, if I get picked up by a fighter squadron before or after my FC1, would I be able to drop the 135 unit even though I’ve sworn in already? 

Well you would at a minimum need a DD368 since you are already a member of another unit. You would be at the mercy of your wing leadership and if you blindside them with something like this that isn't going to help your situation at all especially before you have left...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread revival here!

 

I have a similar question, but I think it is different enough to warrant me asking.  I was recently called by a heavy unit to be one of their UPT candidates.  I was very excited and said that I would love to go to UPT.  I haven’t received an official letter, started my official paperwork, or gone to MEPS  yet.  I’ve only received the phone call.  

Anyway, it’s always been my dream to fly fighters, but I haven’t had a chance to interview with any fighter units yet.   I don’t want to say no to this offer, and throw away a chance to go to UPT on just the hope that I might be picked up by a fighter unit in the future. “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”  I’d rather fly something than nothing, since eventually I plan on flying for the airlines as well, and I don’t want to waste time not flying!   But, I still want to know if I can land a fighter gig.

 I was wondering if I accept the offer, can I still try for other Guard/Reserve fighter units in the meantime?  Can I switch over to another unit that flys fighters before I go to UPT? If so, when is it too late for me to switch to fighters? I’ve heard that once I start flying T-1s the deed is done.

I was thinking of accepting the offer as a safety net to ensure I go to UPT this year, but still interviewing with fighter units up until it is too late for me to switch (whenever that is).  The heavy unit that called me was the first I interviewed with, so I didn’t expect to have an offer so soon.  I thought I would at least have tried a few fighter units before I got an offer. My main fear is that I accept the offer and start flying heavies and then later in my career I start to have this burning “what if” feeling.   I feel if I do fly heavies without at least trying for fighters I will constantly wonder “what if I could have been a fighter pilot.”  

Any advice? Slash back to the original question - can I switch to another unit even after I accept?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a good way to potentially burn a bridge with people who have already given you an opportunity. To each his own but I couldn't do that. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would like to have that heavy spot without question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, UPT-hopeful21 said:

Thread revival here!

 

I have a similar question, but I think it is different enough to warrant me asking.  I was recently called by a heavy unit to be one of their UPT candidates.  I was very excited and said that I would love to go to UPT.  I haven’t received an official letter, started my official paperwork, or gone to MEPS  yet.  I’ve only received the phone call.  

Anyway, it’s always been my dream to fly fighters, but I haven’t had a chance to interview with any fighter units yet.   I don’t want to say no to this offer, and throw away a chance to go to UPT on just the hope that I might be picked up by a fighter unit in the future. “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”  I’d rather fly something than nothing, since eventually I plan on flying for the airlines as well, and I don’t want to waste time not flying!   But, I still want to know if I can land a fighter gig.

 I was wondering if I accept the offer, can I still try for other Guard/Reserve fighter units in the meantime?  Can I switch over to another unit that flys fighters before I go to UPT? If so, when is it too late for me to switch to fighters? I’ve heard that once I start flying T-1s the deed is done.

I was thinking of accepting the offer as a safety net to ensure I go to UPT this year, but still interviewing with fighter units up until it is too late for me to switch (whenever that is).  The heavy unit that called me was the first I interviewed with, so I didn’t expect to have an offer so soon.  I thought I would at least have tried a few fighter units before I got an offer. My main fear is that I accept the offer and start flying heavies and then later in my career I start to have this burning “what if” feeling.   I feel if I do fly heavies without at least trying for fighters I will constantly wonder “what if I could have been a fighter pilot.”  

Any advice? Slash back to the original question - can I switch to another unit even after I accept?

I've stated this before but assuming you're already enlisted/sworn in with your current unit, at the end of the day if you're accepted into another squadron/wing, you will need to fill out a transfer sheet which needs to be signed by your leadership and wing. If I were you, I would be 100% transparent while doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flammable said:

I've stated this before but assuming you're already enlisted/sworn in with your current unit, at the end of the day if you're accepted into another squadron/wing, you will need to fill out a transfer sheet which needs to be signed by your leadership and wing. If I were you, I would be 100% transparent while doing this.

I’m not enlisted.  Just an “off the street” hire as they say.  So, it sounds like technically you can switch but you can potentially offend some people by doing that?  Isn’t that why they select alternates though? @flammable @RunningMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can absolutely turn down the offer, but clearly you risk going to UPT at all (if you don't subsequently get hired by another unit). Do it before swearing in, and nobody should care that much (as you said, alternates), do it after and you might piss people off. It's your life, don't let a few people possibly being pissed drive your decidion, but also know if fighters don't work out and you're back applying for heavy units, I have to imagine you may face an uphill battle (the new prospective units will find out, whether you tell them or not). Hard call, good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, brabus said:

You can absolutely turn down the offer, but clearly you risk going to UPT at all (if you don't subsequently get hired by another unit). Do it before swearing in, and nobody should care that much (as you said, alternates), do it after and you might piss people off. It's your life, don't let a few people possibly being pissed drive your decidion, but also know if fighters don't work out and you're back applying for heavy units, I have to imagine you may face an uphill battle (the new prospective units will find out, whether you tell them or not). Hard call, good luck.

@brabus thank you very much for you’re advice.  At what point do you actually “swear in” is that during OTS?  I’m not completely familiar with the timeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The timeline can drag out for a variety of reasons, but you usually swear in a couple months after being selected. You have to be sworn into the unit in order to receive orders to attend your FC1 physical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another revival! 

I understand the importance of loyalty in guard units, but what if a life change occurs, marriage/spouse's needs, etc. that isn't necessarily an "emergency" but still drives a desire to switch units? Is there a rough amount of time after returning to your unit from training, after which a commander would be more likely to approve a transfer to another unit? Is there any other sort of regulatory requirements to stay at a unit for X amount of time before requesting a transfer? 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there's any reg that mandates you stay for X time.  One way you could be on the hook "officially" for a length of time would be if you're on AGR orders for a few years and you want to end them early to transfer units, but TAG does not approve the curtailment (that's ANG, but I assume it's similar in AFRC).  If that happened, you'd have to finish out that set of orders before you could move.  This situation is probably unlikely, but possible.

Post-FTU, you will have some amount of full-time seasoning orders.  For fighters it's broken into two sets of 365 days, so roughly 2.5 years all said and done (assuming a few TDYs/deployment that are on different orders and don't count against your seasoning days).  I don't know how long heavies season for, but probably varies a bit depending on community.

Bottom line, as a new guy back from training, I'd plan on at least 3 years given to your unit before you try to transfer.  I think 3 years is also a good ROT for an AD guy who punches to the ARC, then wants to move later.  That all said, this isn't black and white and if you have a compelling situation that drives a necessity to move and that's what your family needs, then bring it up to the boss.  The ARC is generally very good at being supportive of family-driven decisions and will help you get where you need to be.  Just realize you may get less than enthusiastic support if you try to bail a year after getting to your unit.

Edited by brabus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you sign up for UPT in the ANG, you are signing up for 10 years of service after UPT just like AD guys.  You don't have to stay full time during that time, but you do owe 10 years.  That can be transferred but it will depend on the health of your current squadron and their desire to let you leave. 

Everyone is hurting for pilots, units can't allow guys to roll out just because they want to try something new.  If it's a legit concern and the squadron can hack the program, it can be done without much issue.  As with anything - it depends!  We've let guys go before and then regretted it years later due to lack of manning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×