Changing/switching units

Guest NateERAU

I know the obvious conclusion here is that it's my attitude and/or I'm just an as*hole. I disagree (of course) - if you were to talk with folks I have worked with in the past, I think you will find that I am well liked and a good Officer (PAB and ChuckFlys17s back me up on this one!
He is a good officer. I don't really like him, though.

All kidding aside, this has been an excellent discussion for me (and others on this board) to learn a great deal from. There is a whole lot more to the ANG than showing up 2.5 hours prior to takeoff, grabbing your helmet bag, briefing it up and heading out to Laser North so the Hogs can cancel (saw the shot, had to take it ). There are AGR/Tech slots, MPA tours, civillian employers to deal with, PME to complete, retirement point calculations, HQ jobs, non-flying billets, etc. etc. It can be very dicey and very confusing. Compound this with the fact that nobody ever goes anywhere in a Guard unit, most folks stay in for 20, 25, 30 years unitl they pry cold, dead hands off of yokes and sticks, and things get tricky quickly.

So you've got Bergman with the plight of the Guard bum who can't get enough work at his unit who's halfway to an AD retirement and sees a way to get there (AGR slot, Guard Bum's wet dream, right?)in a very unorganized unit (Bergman's right, I've got a lot of first and second hand knowledge of this fact) and Rainman with the manning nightmare that all Guard units wrestle with on a daily basis and the "view from the top" so to speak, and the drama unfolds.

All you ANG wannabes out there, learn from this discussion. The Guard is a great place to be, but it's not all hunky dorey all the time.

[ 28. April 2005, 08:58: Message edited by: PAB ]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rainman A-10
I was in the unit 2+ years before I ever met my Sq/CC (he's an AA captain and part-timer as well) and I couldn't even tell you who my Flt/CC is...

Wow. I can't even imagine this.

I have made many phone calls in the last few days and learned that I do NOT have any options; the Wg/CC CAN disapprove my transfer.

I knew the Wg/CC has the hammer but you do have options. Keep talking to them. Help them understand how important this is to you. You know they would never screw with a guy who was risking he precious quiche eating airline pilot job. Put it to them like that and see if you can meet them 1/2 way.

Good luck.

Guest SnakeT38

Rainman............they have quit serving "quiche", it is a "prepared"

meal we no longer have the luxury

of consuming. Perhaps, "cereal", or "sandwich"

eating airline job would be more accurate.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by SnakeT38:

Rainman............they have quit serving "quiche", it is a "prepared"

meal we no longer have the luxury

of consuming. Perhaps, "cereal", or "sandwich"

eating airline job would be more accurate.

LOL

• 2 years later...
Guest AZDiamondbacks

I'm applying to a bunch of ANG units but would prefer to be based near my home state. If I get selected by another unit (knowing that beggars can't be choosers) and go to pilot training, is it possible to transfer to another unit say 4-5 years out of UPT? Understandably, the unit that trained you would probably be pissed, but i want to know if this is even possible and if it takes some great connections and a truly good reason, or if it is pretty much unacceptable unless the unit is BRAC'd or something along those lines.

Thanks,

JC

I'm applying to a bunch of ANG units but would prefer to be based near my home state. If I get selected by another unit (knowing that beggars can't be choosers) and go to pilot training, is it possible to transfer to another unit say 4-5 years out of UPT? Understandably, the unit that trained you would probably be pissed, but i want to know if this is even possible and if it takes some great connections and a truly good reason, or if it is pretty much unacceptable unless the unit is BRAC'd or something along those lines.

Thanks,

JC

Part of what the interview process does is try to eliminate those they don't believe will be dedicated to that unit and that area for a long time. Keep that in mind. If you go to a unit with only a half desire to fly for them, it may be reflected in your attitude during your interview. If this is how you feel, go to the unit you want to fly for more than anything and let them know that!

• 6 months later...
Guest Flygy51

I'm a 1Lt C-130 pilot and am considering switching units and am trying to decide what the first step should be.....Should I call the recruitment office or call straight to someone from flight ops? Would it be poor taste to just drop in and introduce myself and drop off a resume?? Any advice is greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Guest flanker_hater

I don't know about the Herc world but the in the fighter community it's well worth your time to include a bottle of Jack as you drop of your resume with the DO or CC.

Also as far as transferring ANG units, it's easy. Remember you commission into the AIR NATIONAL GUARD first and foremost, not "insert random state" ANG. I've known several people that commission with X guard unit and very shortly after tech school transfer to Y guard unit in essence using a unit for the gold bars. So yes it can be done but if you plan on doing something like that keep your mouth shut as it is seen as poor form. Although as a pilot all of this could be extremely tricky and might not work out well for you, especially if you try it soon after you finish MQT.

Good luck!

• 3 years later...

Reserve dude here currently in T 1's whose sponsoring unit is "forecasted" to be closed. I have a feeling alot of dudes will be looking for jobs at other units in the near future. Wondering If it's a good idea to "pitch the switch" to my sponsoring unit while in upt. Really don't want to be that guy, but I also don't want to be left without a chair when the music stops either. Thoughts?

holy thread revival dude. At any rate, focus on getting through UPT. If the closure becomes effective prior to you hitting your MWS FTU, they'll audible that before going through the expense. Otherwise expect to push through and manage the switch when you're back at the unit. A lot of these closings are not going to become effective for a couple years anyways.

You could be proactive if you think your airframe in general is going to leave you out of options. Other than that I don't think you're really out a seat. You'll have to move, so if that's not palatable to ya then I got nothing. Welcome to AD Lite. The flying club is dead.

I'm with hindsight, get your wings first - that's priority number one. The lists that have come down about trading/retiring iron and closing bases is not in stone, so there isn't a need to freak out just yet. Be patient and get through your training, and when/if it comes time to try to move on from where you are then do it. If you make it to your FTU, which is likely, you'll meet a lot of other dudes from other units to network with if the need arises. And remember, there are a lot more billets for LTs on the manning documents than there are for the higher ranks - so finding a home shouldn't be that hard.

• 9 months later...

I am considering going into the ANG for a mechanical related job. I am full time college right now and want to go in to further my career and get tuition assistance. The only problem that is keeping me from signing up is that I do not know what will happen after I get out of school and whether or not I can move to another unit easily if I have to take a job in a different state for example. The ANG says that you can change units but they did not say how long the process took. Also I guess its the question of whether or not the job I am trained for is avaliable in another place or not...anyone else out there had to do this?

I am on my 3rd unit now. First unit I joined when I left active duty, transferred from there when I graduated college due to my new civilian job being in another state, then got picked up for a pilot slot in another state and have transferred to that unit.

Never had a problem. When I transfered from my first guard unit to my second, I stayed in the same career field which made it easy.

I would ask the recruiter you are working with but I would be suprised if they told you otherwise.

Edited by Kenny Powers

I am on my 3rd unit now. First unit I joined when I left active duty, transferred from there when I graduated college due to my new civilian job being in another state, then got picked up for a pilot slot in another state and have transferred to that unit.

Never had a problem. When I transfered from my first guard unit to my second, I stayed in the same career field which made it easy.

I would ask the recruiter you are working with but I would be suprised if they told you otherwise.

+1

I'm in a very similar situation. 3rd ANG unit, 3rd state. Transferred all first to second in the same career field and third unit for Nav school. The transfer is typically very quick. Paperwork takes a few days and I was flying with the new unit a month later. Obviously your unit has to release you. I wouldn't expect to spend 6 months or a year in tech school on one units dime and want to transfer 6 months later to another. And as always, don't burn bridges. If you've transferred once or twice, you may end up doing it again and the ANG is a small community.

I was only in one Guard unit then switched to the AFRES. Spent 18 years between the two units and saw PLENTY of people moving between units, both Reserve and Guard. Don't worry about it. As long as you are doing it for legitimate reasons it will never be a problem.

thats good to know, its my main concern. I am going to Mississippi State next fall for aerospace engineering or something similar. I know the closest ANG bases to where the college is, is about 1 1/2 hours. Jackson and Meridian. I figure if I got an ANG tech job in something that is needed everywhere, like aircraft maintanence, then it should be easy to transfer.

thats good to know, its my main concern. I am going to Mississippi State next fall for aerospace engineering or something similar. I know the closest ANG bases to where the college is, is about 1 1/2 hours. Jackson and Meridian. I figure if I got an ANG tech job in something that is needed everywhere, like aircraft maintanence, then it should be easy to transfer.

The 186th ARW in Meridian, MS was my first guard unit. Great bunch but very "good ole boy". When I left they were transitioning from KC-135's to C-27J's. Do some research on the C-27J program - I think Meridian is scheduled to lose those too and I don't think they have anything lined up to replace them yet.

My suggestion - get to the Jackson unit and get working on C-17's. My other two suggestions:

1. Go Mechanical instead of Aero. Mechanical is a little better suited for entry level work in my opinion (I am a ME in the Aerospace Industry). If after a few years in the industry you want to go Aero, get your masters in it.

2. Go to Ole Miss!

Edited by Kenny Powers

cool, I'll check that out. I was thinking about working around the bigger planes anyways. I don't have any prior military experience, so I would have to go to basic and tech school. Im not sure how long the airplane maintanence tech school is...

as for mechanical engineering, I was hoping that getting a degree in aerospace would qualify me for a position as another type of engineer. maybe engineering off road equipment or automotive. I have a visit planned for jan. 10th at Ms state, so i need to ask them about all that.

As for Ole Miss, I wish I could afford it LOL. But it is a good school, I know a couple of people that went there.

As for Ole Miss, I wish I could afford it LOL. But it is a good school, I know a couple of people that went there.

Call their financial aid office and ask if they have the same tuition rates for veterans or those currently serving in the ANG/AFRES. I went to grad school out of state and the cost was insane (New York) but being a vet, they gave me in state tuition rates at a reduced rate (at the ANG tuition assistance price). Its worth a phone call if its really where you want to go.

Not sure what you are referring to here, the cost of attendance at both schools is very comparable. Ole Miss looks like ~$600 more a year. Pick the school you want to go to.

http://sfa.msstate.edu/cost/

http://www.olemiss.e...attendance.html (this includes non-resident fee's)

I know in MS everyone talks up MS State for Engineering vs. Ole Miss but I can tell you it doesn't matter. As an undergraduate, everyone (engineering) pretty much starts on the same playing field in the workforce, assuming you went to an ABET accredited school.

Edited by Kenny Powers

I'm currently enlisted in the maintenance squadron at the 172nd. I've been in for 4 years, and I can honestly say it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. If you want to be around aircraft, look into Jackson.

I'm also about to graduate from Mississippi State in December with an Electrical Engineering degree. You can't go wrong with any engineering degree, whether it's aero or mech. I will back what was said earlier about aero, the job market is slim in the south. Even in Huntsville, it's mostly EE, ME, or CPE jobs.

If you live in Mississippi, then you already know my opinion toward Ole Miss ha. They're both good schools, but stick with State if you are seriously considering engineering. Tuition assistance will be the same for every school in Mississippi.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the 172nd or engineering school. I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Edited by Free7