Visiting a unit

Some units allow (and encourage) off the street folks to come visit prior to board interviews, which is cool.

Other units strictly don't allow it. Is that their way of letting us know that they pretty much only hire within? Seems to me the chances of getting picked up to work with a unit for 20+ yrs based on a 5 page packet and a 20 minute interview are pretty slim.

Thoughts?

Guest JArcher00

If you do not care where you go then send packages out to every unit across the country. You will surely get an interview by one. If they do not want you to visit. Screw them. Move on to the next. Just don't be that guy/gal that only puts a package in with one unit an complains that they did not get picked. Flood the market like in the real job world. Good luck. It happened to me.

Guest Broncopilot943

I agree with RedDog on that! And it never hurts to ask if you can come out to the base. Dont just ask the recruiters though, ask the pilot in charge of the board. It's usually not hard to find out who that is by a phone call. If you get the interview to a far-away unit, see if you can show up the day before the interview and meet some people. You might end up having a few beers with them and getting to know everybody before the interview, which makes it MUCH more comfortable. I did it, and it turns out I was the only guy that interviewed to show the initiative to come out and visit, even though it was the day before. It made an outstanding impression. Good luck!

Guest grsckoro

I would highly recommend visiting as many units as possible. Most units, especially reserve units i found they love it when wananbees come down to visit. You make great connections if they like you. Just call the units prior, ask if you can speak with someone who deals with UPT applicates and tell them you would like to come down, meet some of the other members, hang out, or take someone to lunch(this is KEY). With the Reserves and ANG its all who you know and putting a face on the Resume. Make sure you have your AFOQT, BAT, PCSM scores out of the way, because you don't mean anything to them until your competetive. I visited every chance i got (after they told me to come down anytime) and got sponsored. Its all about face time with them, asking to take them to lunch, bringing a case of beer down or whatever. Just hang out with them. Ya there will be alot of standing around when your there, but you meet alot of members and alot of them are involved with the UPT board selections for sponsorship. Remember these members what to pick guy/girls who they would want to hang out with. Don't act cocky, be social, don't just sit in the corner and let them know you really want to fly with there unit. If you don't look at a unit you do want be with.

Cheers

[ 16. December 2004, 18:57: Message edited by: TUG ]

I agree with all of that TUG, but my problem is some units say "we don't allow you to visit prior to being interviewed".

I love it when some units say "come on down!" and I take them up on that offer. It's the ones that don't allow visits that I'm worried about.

Thanks for the feedback!

Guest dumaisj

Well, those are mostly "hire from within" units anyway...don't sweat it. There are plenty more who are happy to have you around...especially if you're buying drinks to grease the wheels a bit!

Guest grsckoro

When I was looking into the ANG and USAFR initally I called probably 30 different units just trying to suck all the helpful information from other pilots I could. One ANG's unit (f-16) commander asked me that they where looking at out of state applicants but told me not all ANG units do hire out of state. He did however tell me that they do not want any applicant to come down and visit the unit. If you did you would be crossed off the applicant list. He explained that they didn't want to have anyone feel like they were favoring an applicant over another if the other applicant lived too far to visit also. That was my experience with units telling you not to come down.

• 1 year later...
Guest comanche

I've been told when first going to a unit do it on a week day when they aren't busy so they actually have time to talk to you. Would you recommend this or is it best to go to a drill weekend??

Also is it a good idea to bring beer or something of that nature along or is that just being to much of a kiss ass??

Thanks for the help

• 2 years later...
Guest txnative

I went down last week for a tour of the unit i'm interviewing with this week. It was pretty early in the morning (6am) and all I really got to meet was the POC compliling the interview packets for the board and a flight engineer that was going to be on the board. With that said, it was still an awesome experience. Got to bs a little, he explained the unit's background a little bit and we crawled around a C-130 that had returned from the desert not too long ago. The biggest thing for me is that its going to definintely help me relax for the actual interview. Its a great opportunity if you can do it. I would agree with MT Near, don't go over the top and bring in a bunch of cases of beer or anything like that. Just show up (I went in a nicer pair of jeans, polo shirt and shoes), ask some questions, listen to what they say and have a good time. Khakis probably would have been a better idea, but from my conversations with the POC at the unit, he sounded real laid back about the formalities which put me at ease about going in jeans. Its most likely different at other units. Hopefully it doesnt come back to bite me in butt this week :beer:

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any guidance on visiting a squadron if you are an active duty pilot looking to apply to a reserve squadron? Is there any difference to the questions you should ask? I know this may be a dumb question but do you wear your bag? I have never done this before and I am just looking for some general ROE's. Thanks.

Does anyone have any guidance on visiting a squadron if you are an active duty pilot looking to apply to a reserve squadron? Is there any difference to the questions you should ask? I know this may be a dumb question but do you wear your bag? I have never done this before and I am just looking for some general ROE's. Thanks.

I had a much more detailed post- but this billeting internet sucks and lost it twice.

1st- wear your bag.

2nd bring your OPRs and Form 8s. Also put together a resume.

3rd ask what your expected participation level is. The reserves have changed and you might want to know what they expect. Its kinda active duty light without the pay or benefits.

Questions Ive seen asked to guys in your position name someone who hates you and why?

What was your crappiest additional duty and how did you dominate it?

When have you knowingly violated a reg and why?

The key is- you want to seem like someone who you could deploy with, but someone who could be a kick-ass awards and decs guy too. The crew dogs want to hire the beer drinking, good pilot. The boss wants to hire a kick ass exec. You need everyones vote.

Edited by slacker

I appreciate the advice. I just want to be clear I am going to visit I was not invited for an interview or anything like that; I should definitely wear/bring all that stuff? Are there any taboos about bringing wives/girlfriends (maybe both for some) or friends? What day is best to go (Friday vs. Saturday)? I appreciate any words of wisdom.

- Chuy

i have just sent off my packet to my hometown Air National Guard unit. i currently have my packet in with with a reserve guy who sends it all over to other units with a generalized cover letter and different paper work.....

after finding out that my home town unit is hiring (C130 airlift), i have whipped up a very personalized cover letter, filled out forms SF 93, SF 86, AF 24....etc to the best of my ability. having done 100% of this on my own i just dont have a good feeling about it even though i went over all of it about 20 times and had many different people proof read everything. even called the MSgt in charge of packets to ask questions, which i sure i sounded like a huge bother.....

i did not send a a picture in with the packet, but i did call the chief pilot and schedule a visit before i come out and interview. hopefully that will also be a chance to correct anything that may be wrong with my packet. The chief was surprisingly willing to take time and shoot the breeze with me, when my whole mentality in my head was just schedule the thing and get going cuz this guy is busy and probably gets calls like this from random "interested potential pilots" all the time. we actually talked about flying and stuff once he found out i have about 1000 hours and since i`m from the area.

now on to the point. i need to know the best way to go about visiting...etc. i have read all of the above and a few things on other forums. i also would love to know what kinda interview curve balls are thrown. i have been successful thru one airline interview already and know what that is like, but have no idea if there are any nuances to an ANG interview....

if anyone has any pointers on how to make the best impression while visiting a C-130 unit and any Interview pointers, that would be great.

86 PCSM

80 AFOQT

around 58 on AA NAV VERBAL.....

be honest about how good/bad those scores are too.

• Upvote 1

Guest CombatDescent

curtiswg:

If you are not happy with those scores tell them if they ask what you think about them. Mine were not the highest at my board and when asked about them I said I was going to take it again if not selected. I told them the exact date that I was planning on taking it and which upcoming pilot board I was planning on sending my updated package to. Show dedication..it worked for me.

curtiswg:

if anyone has any pointers on how to make the best impression while visiting a C-130 unit and any Interview pointers, that would be great.

I interviewed twice this past October. Both interviews were at Air Force Reserve C-130 units. As far as making a good impression and interviewing tips, here is my advice:

These interviews work both ways. Yes, they are interviewing you, but you need to interview them as well. Granted when you interview, you are essentially a guest, and you should act accordingly, but if the Unit feels that you have an obvious invested interest in the people you could potentially be working with for 20 plus years, then I think you will make a good impression. Be Honest, Be Genuine, Be Professional. As far as interview tips. I had my wife print out the "Standard Interview Questions" thread on this website. She asked me every question and I answered every single one them the best I could. It didn't take that long and I felt it was well worth the time. As far as your scores go, I had similar numbers and I got hired. Again, Be Honest, Genuine, and Professional. I'm sure you will do fine.

-J.

Guest FlighHy

Call and ask them when its best for them. Most will prob say drill weekend. I wouldnt bring beer as you never know what your gonna run into. I would wait till maybe a second visit or so (if thats even necessary)....just go and be urself.

So if I'm heading to a drill weekend in a couple of weeks to my local unit, would it be kosher to bring in a couple cases of beer or bottle of whiskey? I just dont want to be that guy who kiss-ass'd his way OUT of a job, or is it something you kind of play by ear from unit to unit?

So if I'm heading to a drill weekend in a couple of weeks to my local unit, would it be kosher to bring in a couple cases of beer or bottle of whiskey? I just dont want to be that guy who kiss-ass'd his way OUT of a job, or is it something you kind of play by ear from unit to unit?

It varies from unit to unit. The unit that hired me is the only one I didn't bring booze to. Some units told me up front to stop by a liquor store, and others flat said, "Don't try to get in by kissing our asses."

Just ask.

Guest flyer331

It varies from unit to unit. The unit that hired me is the only one I didn't bring booze to. Some units told me up front to stop by a liquor store, and others flat said, "Don't try to get in by kissing our asses."

Just ask.

At my unit most people brought bottles since we hung out in the bar after drill. If you're going to a unit for an interview and there is not a social event before/afterwards, you probably don't want to bring one to the board and plop it down on the table.

At my unit most people brought bottles since we hung out in the bar after drill. If you're going to a unit for an interview and there is not a social event before/afterwards, you probably don't want to bring one to the board and plop it down on the table.

Or be the one who plops it on the bar, then pours half of it for himself (seen it happen!).

I would recommend bringing something and leaving it in your car if you are unsure. When I was rushing an A-10 unit on a UTA weekend I got stuck in traffic on the way. Didn't show up till Roll Call already started. But having a handle of gentleman Jack in my hand saved me, they all just yelled at me real quick, made me do a shot, pounded me on the back and told me to sit down.

But again, I didn't bring anything to the unit that picked me up eventually. So YMMV.

A word of advice: If you think you may be drinking when you get there, eat something before you go in, nothing like trying to drink on an empty stomach while still keeping your wits about you.

Q

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be heading down south for a pre-interview meet up over Charlotte NCANG's drill weekend. Potential Nav's packets are in but they have not asked anyone to come to an interview just yet. However, I'm driving 10 hours each way to pop in for their Saturday UTA, say hello and chat with them a bit. I"m already a Loadmaster on the Herk so I would think I could talk shop a bit with them.

Just curious though, how much shop talk is too much on a visit like this? I want to show them I'm interested in the unit and our mission but want to ensure I'm more than just a Dash 1 in a flight suit.

The LtCol POC Nav has told me they go to the all ranks club after business is conducted, so I'll be sure to go to that and SIP my beer, not be doing keg stands like we would be doing on a TDY in Key West.

Anything I should bring with me on my first visit? I know they are flying and its crossed my mind to bring my helmet and headset but I won't officially be on a pay status and don't have an interfly agreement set up. But, I want to come prepared. Would it be overkill to bring my pro-gear? They are gonna be doing some airdrops, so I could always offer to lend a hand when it came to stuff out on the plane.

I'm sure their roll call is at 7, or around that. Is it a good idea to show up then or a few hours later? The POC mentioned he would be in around 0700 so it almost seems he is alluding to me being there about then? If I were there at rollcall, it might be a good chance for me to be introduced like I'm visiting the unit and this way, everyone knows who I am and what I'm doing. Don't want to be that guy that is just creeping around the squadron like a lost pup.

Anything else I'm missing here before my visit? The POC down there has been VERY helpful, we've swapped a dozen emails, and at least appears to be very interested. Want to make sure this visit is a positive one prior to my interview. Also, I know Nav school and AMS (or ANGOTS, whatever its called now) has quite a backlog so if I get hired on, I'd be more than happy to transfer as a LM prior to commissioning and keep flying for the time being. Should I make this known to them now, during the interview or just don't bother? I would think them getting a fully qualified LM waiting for school dates would be beneficial rather than a civilian sitting in the corner on drill weekends. Thanks! -Ryan

Edited by LoadClear

I'm visiting the 157FS in South Carolina, this weekend, and was hoping someone here might have some good knowledge to drop before I head out. I have already visited with several squadrons, but they all have their differences. Anything unique to this group, that could help me with the visit would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm heading out to Tulsa to visit the 125FS during April UTA. If anyone has any info/advice on this squadron, I'd really appreciate it. Also, any info on the Tulsa area would be good too. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I am visiting the 175 FW / 104 FS in Maryland this weekend, and was again hoping that I could get some solid info on this group before heading out. Thanks.

Edited by tlr9489