Visiting a unit

Where ya from? Have you talked to anyone in the unit?

I am from Boston. I have spoken briefly with LtCol Zurkowski, who had invited me to come out for this drill weekend. I'll be there at 2pm on Saturday.

• 4 years later...

Thread revival: I'm looking at a unit 4 hours away, and I think it'd be good for my wife to see the area and the unit. I was invited to come down during the week and check it out and ask any questions I have, which I plan on doing. Any advice on taking your significant other for your first ever squadron visit?

Thread revival: I'm looking at a unit 4 hours away, and I think it'd be good for my wife to see the area and the unit. I was invited to come down during the week and check it out and ask any questions I have, which I plan on doing. Any advice on taking your significant other for your first ever squadron visit?

If she's hot, I don't see how it could hurt your chances.

Only half kidding, but I have no serious gouge to add to this topic.

While doing so likely wouldn't kill your chances, personally I'd give her $10 and tell her to head to Starbucks until you were done. What could you possibly gain from having your wife with you while informally interviewing with a unit (which is exactly what this will be)? She'll just get bored after the first 6-9 minutes and get the glazed eyeball look going, you'll feel bad, then rush out of there before you've had a chance to interact.

Get hired first, then if you feel like it bring her and the rest of the family by the squadron to make sure it's a good fit for everyone before signing on the dotted line. IMHO.

Yeah dude send her shopping or something. And bring a nice bottle of booze.

Roger. I suppose that makes sense. I was just wondering if it would help show them I'm serious about the area and that my wife's on board and all that. Some pilots I've talked to said they want someone that can not only commit to the unit, but to the area as well, and it helps if your spouse is on board. But I guess her seeing the unit isn't really going to affect her opinion at all, more so the area and the town.

So you guys would recommend bringing a bottle of booze?

Side note; I spent the past 30 minutes watching Kenny Power clips because of you. Thanks for the morale boost.

• 2 years later...

Thread revival:

I'm applying to the 143rd AW out of Quonset, RI and I reached out to the email listed on Bogidope but haven't heard back.  I am going to see if the ANG recruiting office might be able to help me out but I figure I'd ask on here since it's a great forum.  I was hoping to visit the unit or at least meet someone flying with the unit so I could ask a couple of questions. Any help would be much appreciated!

Fox3close

• Downvote 1

On 6/29/2017 at 6:28 PM, Fox3close said:

Thread revival:

I'm applying to the 143rd AW out of Quonset, RI and I reached out to the email listed on Bogidope but haven't heard back.  I am going to see if the ANG recruiting office might be able to help me out but I figure I'd ask on here since it's a great forum.  I was hoping to visit the unit or at least meet someone flying with the unit so I could ask a couple of questions. Any help would be much appreciated!

Fox3close

Remember - you are always being interviewed.  "Fox3Close" as a name is an interesting choice.  Good luck.  

Depends on the context. If in an informal setting, like a meet and greet, I would refer to them by the name they introduce themselves as or whatever is on their nametag. Nobody will care if you call them by their callsign.

If in a formal setting, like the interview, I would refer to them by rank and last name or sir/ma'am.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3