Peterson AFB/Colorado Springs info

Guest Flow777

I guess the only reason I questioned it was because I've heard other people having the assignments changed from where they were originally told they were headed. I don't want to start making plans for moving to Colorado then find I'm actually headed somewhere else. You're right though the "space" portion would make sense to be out at Peterson.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Thread-Necro.jpg

The search function has been used.

Looking for opinions on the areas of reasonable commute to Peterson. I won't be PCS'ing for a few more months still, but looking to do some research in my down time.

In particular, the thought of buying isn't too far off the possibility list. I've spent time in the area for TDY and family vacation, but never for the purpose of exploring the actual housing part of the city/surrounding areas.

Thoughts? Opinions? Any input would be appreciated.

Stretch.

Thread-Necro.jpg

The search function has been used.

Looking for opinions on the areas of reasonable commute to Peterson. I won't be PCS'ing for a few more months still, but looking to do some research in my down time.

In particular, the thought of buying isn't too far off the possibility list. I've spent time in the area for TDY and family vacation, but never for the purpose of exploring the actual housing part of the city/surrounding areas.

Thoughts? Opinions? Any input would be appreciated.

Stretch.

Stretch,

I recently moved to COS. Definitely a buyer's market. Miltiary folks tend to buy/rent in Cordera and Wolf Ranch (20 minute commute). Several live in Monument. A few live as far away as Castle Rock. The commutes aren't that bad because of I-25 and US 83, about 45 minutes. I chose to live on the west side of 25 up against the mountains. We are loving it.

If you are going to buy, I would highly recommend limting your search to ASD20. It is the most desired school district and makes life much easier when it comes time to sell. Many folks limit their search to ASD20.

PM me for more info,

Buenos

Amplifying:

Single, no kids, O-2 putting on O-3 in May. I don't mind a fixer-upper. Reading what I have been and talking to the people I have, I am painted the picture of getting stabbed whilst in the process of falling to the ground after being shot on the southeast side of the city - I am skeptical of this opinion for obvious reasons. I've seen and worked in "bad" towns (pulled bodies off the streets the most murder-prone city of the US for years) so I have a difficult time taking horror stories from lifelong suburb dwellers.

I've heard just a bit of information about ASD20, all good as of yet. That's exactly the sort of information I'm looking to get/confirm.

The north parts are all fine (also incredibly boring). Wouldn't live up here if single unless you have some surburbia fetish or are really concerned about school district for resale. There are smaller/older (20ish years) houses that I think you could safely call fixer uppers.

Dist 20 is great. More importantly everyone thinks it's great and it's highly rated. I think the cut line is Dublin, if you've been looking at maps. Dist 11 has a somewhat crappy rep, all that means is you have to look at individual schools. I know people who teach in 11 schools and like it fine, and I know quite a few folks whose kids go to 11 schools they are quite happy with. Still, 9 out of 10 people moving here won't look at anything south of dist 20. Something to think about.

Downtown is nice, and there are some awesome older houses near there. Everything around Colorado College is pretty nice. Good stuff on west side of 25, got a friend with family off Pikes Peak over there that loves it. As you get close to Broadmoor also very cool. As a single guy, finding something within walking distance of downtown would be pretty awesome.

I think you'll get a pretty good feel once you drive around. The South side is a lot older, more urban. Like any urban area it changes rapidly as you move around, couple nice blocks, couple not so nice blocks, repeat. Crime in town (that hits the news) is pretty much down south. Which doesn't mean you'll get shot.

Old Colorado City is also worth considering. Manitou Springs is pretty cool, but I think the amount of tourists might drive me insane.

I'm blathering, just saying I wouldn't sweat living south, especially if you're looking for an urban experience.

Stretch,

You may want to look at Manitou Springs. It has a "Colorado vibe" and seems to be a decent place for a young, single dude with lots of money to spend. This is coming from an old married guy with three kids and no money to spend.

BTW, your BAH will be $1464 when you pin on. You can buy a lot of house for that. However, the rental market is booming here so you won't be able to get as much house with the same money. My advice would be to buy a big place in Cordera or Wolf Ranch and rent out the basement to another Lt or Capt.

Later,

Buenos

I would recommend living in an apartment downtown or near Colorado College if you are single and don't have kids. There is a lot to do in those areas. Tejon Street is infested with young enlisted kids from Carson getting into trouble, but you can still have a good time if you avoid Blondies, The Mansion, etc. Jack Quinns and Phantom Canyon are much better places to drink, if that's what you are looking for.

If you want a big house, look in Falcon/Peyton. My wife and I are renting a 5-bedroom house with an enormous yard, three-car garage for all of my toys and huge basement for $1500/month. We live on the tee box of a par 3 and have a nice rec center as well. We lived on base for a couple of years and paid almost that much and got a lot less. There are tons of houses in this area with 2- 4 single Lts/Capts splitting rent, and it's a 15-minute easy drive to the gate or to Colorado Springs proper.

As far as the city being dangerous...you'll hear that from people from the midwest that have never actually been anywhere dangerous. Being from Atlanta, I have seen bad parts of town. There aren't any in COS.

I would recommend living in an apartment downtown or near Colorado College if you are single and don't have kids. There is a lot to do in those areas. Tejon Street is infested with young enlisted kids from Carson getting into trouble, but you can still have a good time if you avoid Blondies, The Mansion, etc. Jack Quinns and Phantom Canyon are much better places to drink, if that's what you are looking for.

If you want a big house, look in Falcon/Peyton. My wife and I are renting a 5-bedroom house with an enormous yard, three-car garage for all of my toys and huge basement for $1500/month. We live on the tee box of a par 3 and have a nice rec center as well. We lived on base for a couple of years and paid almost that much and got a lot less. There are tons of houses in this area with 2- 4 single Lts/Capts splitting rent, and it's a 15-minute easy drive to the gate or to Colorado Springs proper.

As far as the city being dangerous...you'll hear that from people from the midwest that have never actually been anywhere dangerous. Being from Atlanta, I have seen bad parts of town. There aren't any in COS.

I read this and laughed almost until I cried. I remember being warned about the bad side of Altus ...