Tricare information

Okay I have a hypothetical question for those who would know.

Lets say you get married on a Sunday and you go on a week long honeymoon. If your wife gets injured during the honeymoon is she covered? This is assuming all the paper work has not yet been given to the MPF, the Med group and all that. Thanks in advance

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a beaurocratic nightmare, but you would have all of the legal docs proving she was in fact your spouse as of the date she got sick/injured, so she would be covered. You would most likely spend lots of time on the phone and faxing documents all over God's green earth, but eventually it would be settled.

• 2 months later...
Guest degarbage

Anybody sign up for this new Tricare for reservists? My squadron was activated in 2003 for a year, am I now eligible?

Guest Lightninbo

and for anyone else in the know... does this program apply to activation due to school ie...upt/unt. Or is it only for those who went on active duty overseas.

Guest Wxpunk

I'm in the know. I signed up this week and have spoken with Tricare and a few local liasons:

To qualify you must either be coming off AD with a ANG/USAFR commitment of at least the duration coverage you are signing up for; or have been activated on Title 10 orders for 90 consecutive days since Sept. 11, 2001.

Every consecutive 90 days = 1 year eligibility.

I had an activation just after 9/11 that lasted nearly a year so I qualify for 3 years coverage.

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/guard-reserveportal

----------

Wxpunk

Guest Wxpunk

Plan details:

Monthly Premiums:

---Single: $75/month

---Family: $233/month

Annual Deductible: $150 (Sngl) $300 (Fam) per fiscal year.

Cost-Share: 85/15 (you pay 15%)

Catastrophic Cap $1000/year

---------

Wxpunk

Guest JArcher00

So would UPT be considered activated "for training" or how does the 1,2,3 years of AD apply?

Guest Wxpunk

Look at your orders. It shouldn't be.

TRICARE Reserve Select Pamphlet:

1. You are called or ordered under Title 10 in support of a contingency operation for more than 30 consecutive days on or after 9/11.

2. You have served continuously on active duty for 90 days or more under such call or order* --the length of time served determines the maximum period of coverage offered to you under TRICARE Reserve Select.

*If you are otherwise eligible, but did not serve continuously on active duty for 90 days under that call-up due to an injury, illness, or disease incurred or aggravated while you were activated, you may be eligible for one year of coverage.

3. You must enter an agreement to serve in the Selected Reserve before leaving active duty. See pages 4-5 for information about your Service Agreement.

1-89 days -> No coverage

90-179 days -> 1 year

180-269 days -> 2 years

270-359 days -> 3 years

360 days -> 4 years

In case you are curious about the apparent contradiction regarding 30 vs 90 days, you have to serve at least 30 days and then have some sort of medical deactivation to qualify. Otherwise, you have to serve 90 days.

Who's your TRICARE daddy?

------------

Wxpunk

[ 21. July 2005, 12:52: Message edited by: Wxpunk ]

Guest degarbage

I just met with the Tricare office on base, and I guess I am not eligible. I was activated feb 2003 - feb 2004 in support of the war, but because I am not coming off any active duty right now, I am not eligible.

Guest Wxpunk

You're base liaison is wrong. Check the website I listed.

I was Title 10 activated from Dec/01 - Oct/02 in support of Noble Eagle and am eligible for 3 years' coverage.

I do think it depends on how they enter your information into DEERS, so you need to put a foot in someone's ass.

Good Luck!

------------

Wxpunk

Guest 130Nav
Originally posted by degarbage:

I just met with the Tricare office on base, and I guess I am not eligible. I was activated feb 2003 - feb 2004 in support of the war, but because I am not coming off any active duty right now, I am not eligible.

You definitely need to talk to someone who knows what they are talking abou,t I was activated for OEF in 2001 and I am eligible. Check out the websites and then talk to your MPF people to make sure your DD214 and DEERS are both correct. There could be other errors that will come back to haunt you later on.

Guest degarbage

Thanks for the info, I am TDY at Altus and got the info from the people here, I'll have to reengage when I get back to home station. Are you currently enrolled, or are you sure that you are eligible based on your research alone?

degarbage,

If you were Title 10 AD in support of OEF/OIF/Noble Eagle, then you should be qualified for one year of coverage for every 90 consecutive days of AD. 1 year will equal 4 years. You need to sign up by Oct 28th if you came off orders prior to 26 April 05. Also, you have to be in the reserve component for those 4 years you are receiving the coverage.

Altus is an AD base. Amn Snuffy at the customer service counter will probably have no idea what you are talking about. They do have that SMSgt in the TRS who is the Guard/Reserve Liaison, kind of a First Shirt . He may have the info on the Tricare for Reservists.

Guest Wxpunk
Are you currently enrolled, or are you sure that you are eligible based on your research alone?
I've been to the official sign-up website, verified my three years coverage, completed my forms, and printed for sending with payment.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to do the whole family thing. We have a very unique and complex medical situation in our family. I need to do the right thing now or potentially pay the piper big-time later. <--Say that three times fast!

Go to the previously posted link…

-------------

Wxpunk

• 6 months later...
Guest LakeGirl

Hey, My husband commissions in April and I am new to the whole military life etc, and I have a couple of questions about Tricare. My questions deal actually with the dental coverage. Both of my brothers are dentists and I was wondering if anybody new if Tricare will cover dentists outside of the Air Force. Can my brothers become Tricare providers? I don't mind going to another dentist, but I really love having my brother do the work! What can I say I trust him and if it hurts I can tell him where to go. Any information would be fantastic!! Thanks!

Just this morning we passed a local dentist's office with a big sign that said "Tricare welcomed!" Everything you need to know can be found here, info that both you and your brother will need to know. If your brother accepts Tricare, then there is no reason why you can't keep going to him.

Cheers! M2

Dependants do not see the dentist on base, only active duty. You can see any civilian you want as long as they are a united concordia (tricare dentist) provider. Which basically means they agree to except the allowance allowed by tricare on all procedures (which is generally less than they charge) and the dentist is not allowed to have you pay the diiference in cost from what they charge and what united concordia will pay.

Guest SpyGadget

Medik,

Can you point me to the rules on the part where they can't make you pay the difference? I might be getting screwed here.

Guest homewith4

http://www.tricaredentalprogram.com/tdptws...ts_overview.jsp

The statement is not quite accurate. For diagnostic and preventative, we pay nothing. But for sealants, fillings and other services there is a co-pay.

If you are overseas you will be seen once a year on base. Stateside allows a visit every six months. Be careful to not see the provider before that six months to the day from your last appointment.

[ 01. February 2006, 18:08: Message edited by: homewith4 ]

Sorry I guess I didn't explain it well enough.

Yes you do have co-pays for certain things, fillings, root canals, sealants, etc.

What I was talking about is, take just a routine exam and cleaning for example, Say the dentist usually charges $200 for that type of office visit and exam. But tricare has an allowable amount of $100 for that exam. If the dentist is a tricare network provider he has to except what tricare will pay him ($100) and cannot have you pay the other $100 that tricare does not.

Same for something like a filling which you pay 20% of. If the dentist charges $100 for a filling but tricare's allowance for a filling is $50 then the dentist is only allowed to have you pay 20% of $50 not his usual charge of $100 to other patients with different insurance.

Does that make better sense? I apologize for any confusion.

Also, United Concordia will only pay $1200.00 a year towards your dental. If you go over that amount then you pay everything out of your pocket until the year starts over. But, the dentist office can still only have you pay what united concordia's allowable charge is for the procedure or office visit and not what there usual charge is.

Guest LakeGirl

This is probably a stupid question, but like I mentioned earlier this is all new to me. Are the benefits different for officers vs. enlisted? Also, is that 1200.00 a year per person or per family?

The benefits are the same no matter what your rank and the $1200 is per person per year. Just remember that this is just dependants, your husband does not count. All of his dental needs are done on base and there is no cost or co pay for him.