Tricare information

Guest r6pilot

I'm mostly just trying to figure out the out-of-pocket expense for a family of four every month during OTS/UPT/FTU. (This is referring to TRICARE Standard as you noted above.) Navigating the TRICARE website, I'm not sure whether I'll be AD during those times as I'm going to be AFRC when all is said and done.

Also, I'm trying to figure out when my coverage can/will start and when my family is also. (Which you answered above.)

Thanks again, K.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JerseyGirl

r6,

My husband bums with the Reserves, so hopefully I can help you out. I have no experience with OTS, so I can't help you there.

But, during UPT and FTU I believe you are on orders and you are considered active duty (and a little FYI, during this time is always easier to just tell folks you are active duty because not everyone understands the Reserve system!). Anyway, while you are on orders, you have your deductible that you must meet and then you'll have a co-pay. My husband goes to the base doctors, so he doesn't have any medical expenses. My girls and I have our civilian doctors. Our family deductible is $300 (I think?) and then our co-pay is about 15%. Its not outrageous, by any means. Those are your only costs, while on orders.

I don't know what your plans are after training, but you do have the option to continue TriCare coverage, as a traditional Reservist (which I am assuming you will be?). I think its called TriCare Reserve Select and it works just the same as the TriCare Standard while you are on orders, except you have a monthly premium of $260 (again, I think?).

As far as the costs for a family of four (which we are, too), I don't think its bad at all. We met our deductible within the first month or two of the start of the new year, but that is also because we have all of our yearly appointments fall in the same couple of months. My daughters' visits ran about $75 each, but I'm sure that is dependent on where you are located.

Hope this helps!

Edited by JerseyGirl

Guest r6pilot

Thank you for the info, JG. So the way I understand it is that while on AD status, there is no monthly premiums to pay just to "have" the insurance? I like the fact there's an option to have the TRICARE Reserve after becoming traditional Reserve in case my wife doesn't get a job right away as she's the main insurance carrier now since I'm self-employed.

Guest JerseyGirl
So the way I understand it is that while on AD status, there is no monthly premiums to pay just to "have" the insurance?

Yuppers....

active duty = no monthly premiums

traditional reserve status = monthly premiums

active duty and traditional reserve = $300 family deductible and 15% (I think) co-pays

Really, the only difference is the monthly premiums between being a traditional reservist and on TriCare Reserve Select and being a reservist on active orders and on TriCare Standard (in fact, at the doctor's office, I don't even say Reserve Select because they have never heard of it - its just Standard).

• 3 months later...

I did some searching for this subject and was unable to find anything related for dependents so I figured I would see if anyone on here had info on getting contact lens replacements for my wife.

We just recently got her enrolled in Tricare Prime and found out that they will only cover the visits to the optometrist but not glasses or lenses. Awesome. Anyone know of any places to get contacts that isn't going to charge me an arm & leg for them or have any experience with this stuff?

I did some searching for this subject and was unable to find anything related for dependents so I figured I would see if anyone on here had info on getting contact lens replacements for my wife.

We just recently got her enrolled in Tricare Prime and found out that they will only cover the visits to the optometrist but not glasses or lenses. Awesome. Anyone know of any places to get contacts that isn't going to charge me an arm & leg for them or have any experience with this stuff?

There are different places you can go, that will be cheap. wal-mart, costco, target, sam's club, just to name a few main places.

Depending on how big the base is where you are at, you can see if the glasses place in the BX can do contacts as well.

Wait till you see how much you have to pay out of pocket for dental!

Wait till you see how much you have to pay out of pocket for dental!

No joke! I thought that this whole Tricare Prime was going to be a good deal and be nice and easy on my wallet but these out of pocket expenses are going to start killing me! A couple hundred bucks for new contacts every 6 months and not the dental stuff. Oh goody.

Out of curiosity, what kind of co-pays do you have with the dental? Is it one of those deals that looks good on paper but not when it is put in to practice?

No joke! I thought that this whole Tricare Prime was going to be a good deal and be nice and easy on my wallet but these out of pocket expenses are going to start killing me! A couple hundred bucks for new contacts every 6 months and not the dental stuff. Oh goody.

Out of curiosity, what kind of co-pays do you have with the dental? Is it one of those deals that looks good on paper but not when it is put in to practice?

Tricare prime is a good deal, just not for eyes or dental (which is UC). Last year, I was sent to a Neurologist, had MRI's/MRA's and a full plannel of blood work done, and I didn't pay a cent. Not to mention all the freaking migraine and preventitive meds that I didn't have to pay out of pocket for! Every Pro has a Con..

As for dental, I paid close to $600 for a root canal and crown. A friend's aunt just had one, and with no insurence, she paid $1000. That's a $400 difference that deffinitly makes me question why I even pay for UC in the first place. And, their "emergency procedure" policy SUCKS ASS! Plus, teh Customer Service for UC is HORRID!

• 2 years later...

So I'm trying to navigate the murky waters that is Tricare. I'm a Guard guy who is going to AMS in Nov on Title 10 orders, and IFS is January on Title 32 orders. My civilian employer drops my family medical coverage when I'm on military leave for longer than 30 days (which both sets of orders will be). How does Tricare handle the difference in Title 10 and Title 32 orders? And to further complicate things my son requires special medical supplies a normal kid does not. Does anyone know of special programs offered to ensure that he will continue to get the special medical care that he needs when I'm at AMS, IFS, and UPT? Or at least a contact of someone who might know? Any help is much appreciated.

Recommend the following: make final "pre activation" med appts and scripts (90 days supply of meds/supplies) before you get activated using employers insurance. Once activated, enroll in Tricare prime, and stay on prime until you're released back to ANG and civ employer. The key is to be sure you have a 90 day supply of meds/supplies just before you activate--give you time to navigate Tricare and get established o. Mail order pharmacy, etc. Good luck!