Questions on broken bones

Guest Dactyl

Guest Dactyl

I'm headed to Brooks in a couple weeks and have a question about the Pre-exam report (where you are asked about 70 questions about your medical history).

One question asks for broken bones, dates, explanations etc.. My question is, what differences does the AF make between "Broken bones", "Stress fractures", and "Hairline fractures"?

Here's my situation:

1985 - Broken right wrist

1995 - Broken right arm

1997 - Broken left arm (hairline fracture)

2002 - Stress fracture in left ankle

All healed completley with no pins or surgury, so my next question is.. are these disqualifying?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Guest P27:17

Broken vs fractured bones are interchangeable... the doc needs to know about the history so during the evaluation he/she can check your range of motion, strength, and to see if there is any significant deformity. If any of these are out of standard then a waiver would be required. From what you have posted there shouldn't be any problems.

Good luck

Dude you will be fine. I had 5 broken bones documented on mine and passed. My left hand still has 2 screws in it. I also had 1 third degree burn, and too many scares to count. As long as you dont have any major hardware in your body you'll be fine. Good luck.

• 3 years later...

I broke a rib on Monday, 4/12. I don't expect it to be a big deal- it should heal up fine on it's own. I am curious, as I am applying for ANG/AFRC pilot slots now, will I need to wait a certain amount of time before I am eligible to pass at Brooks? Is there any policy on current broken bones (ie, wait 6 months after break has healed, etc.)?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest goducks

I broke a rib on Monday, 4/12. I don't expect it to be a big deal- it should heal up fine on it's own. I am curious, as I am applying for ANG/AFRC pilot slots now, will I need to wait a certain amount of time before I am eligible to pass at Brooks? Is there any policy on current broken bones (ie, wait 6 months after break has healed, etc.)?

I searched and didn't find any specifics regarding broken bones, other than the big stuff (skull and spinal fractures). I recall seeing quite a few things like these in patient charts (but I'm not a bone doctor) and as long as it's healed without sequelae (ie. pain, limitations of movement) you should be fine. There doesn't appear to be any specified waiting period before you can be cleared.

I just had a talk with my flight doc about my waivers, I needed one for retained hardware on my arm to get into the AF, however once I got in there was no need for a waiver to fly. As long as your broken bones weren't in a joint AND said joint has full range of movement, you'll be just fine. It's really not a big deal, even if you have a metal plate stuck in your arm like me. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest herkjerk

I have IFS and UPT dates but just broke two bones in my ankle, it may need surgery. IFS starts in November, should I keep the same dates and see if I am going to be fine or should I try and get later dates to make sure I am completely ready to go. I am unsure what to do at this point, I think Nov might to soon.

• 1 year later...

I broke my left ring finger in 2008, never got it set because it didn't bother me and I thought it was just jammed. Now it has about a 30 degree curve near the top joint. I am still a military dependent so I went to the ortho to see if they could straighten it, but there are only two real options. 1) cut the bone and attempt to reset it with some pins (that would be removed) along with lots of PT to attempt to gain mobility in that top finger joint. 2) If option 1 does not work, the surgeon wants to fuse the bones of the top and middle finger bones together and I would lose all mobility in that top joint.

I have already passed my FC1 and my IFS dates are in March 2013 and UPT in May 2013. If I lose mobility from the second procedure, could that disqualify me at my FCII before UPT? Any flight docs out there think it would be worth doing the first procedure to get the finger straight and rehab it to get mobility even if it's like a 50% chance of it working? The Wright Patt doc did not worry because I have full grip strength in both hands. Any input would be helpful!

Not a doc, but does the finger bother you right now...i.e. any pain, discomfort, etc? You say you have full "grip strength" (sts), so it seems if the finger doesn't actually hurt you, avoidance for now anyways might be the best idea. What I gather here is you have full use of it, just with a curve on the top joint. Wait till you have wings on your chest and are "safer" from the AF drop kicking your dreams over a finger. Just an opinion based on what I've seen over the years happen to other dudes.

• Upvote 1

Not a doc, but does the finger bother you right now...i.e. any pain, discomfort, etc? You say you have full "grip strength" (sts), so it seems if the finger doesn't actually hurt you, avoidance for now anyways might be the best idea. What I gather here is you have full use of it, just with a curve on the top joint. Wait till you have wings on your chest and are "safer" from the AF drop kicking your dreams over a finger. Just an opinion based on what I've seen over the years happen to other dudes.

+1.. ignore it until you have wings or even better are at your first assignment after FTU then get it fixed if needed.

Would that put me on DNF if it was in a hand cast, etc.?

We usually see it written "DNIF"--Duties Not Including Flying..,

DNIF for a few days/weeks is likely, until the cast comes off...or, unless you could demonstrate to the doc you can still manipulate all controls properly and can egress a-ok. +2 on the above, unless you're in real pain and can't stand it, wait until you're at your first assignment after all training to let the AF ortho guys have a go at it (or, they'll refer you to civ orthos "downtown").

Edited by Learjetter

• 2 weeks later...

I have already passed my FC1 and my IFS dates are in March 2013 and UPT in May 2013. If I lose mobility from the second procedure, could that disqualify me at my FCII before UPT? Any flight docs out there think it would be worth doing the first procedure to get the finger straight and rehab it to get mobility even if it's like a 50% chance of it working? The Wright Patt doc did not worry because I have full grip strength in both hands. Any input would be helpful!

Ask yourself if you want to be a pilot.

If the answer is yes then stop talking to or asking questions of the Flight Docs. Only answer questions they ask you if doing otherwise would constitute a UCMJ violation. If they ever ask you a question that could effect your flight status answer in such a way that you can keep flying.

Nothing's wrong with your finger and you've never been knocked out. Press.

Ask yourself if you want to be a pilot.

If the answer is yes then stop talking to or asking questions of the Flight Docs. Only answer questions they ask you if doing otherwise would constitute a UCMJ violation. If they ever ask you a question that could effect your flight status answer in such a way that you can keep flying.

Nothing's wrong with your finger and you've never been knocked out. Press.

Absolutely, unequivocally, spot on.

+2.

• 1 year later...

Sounds like a non-issue as long as you can be physically active and wear required filghtsuit/PPE items. Read AFI 48-123 para. 6.44.25. if you want more specifics.

• 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey guys. Heard a rumor the other day from a friend transitioning to the Air Reserve to fly helos that individuals who had broken their collarbones before were DQ’d on the FC1 and from flying fighters because of the ejection seats regardless of how well it healed and their shoulder mobility. Seemed odd and out of sync with everything else I have read on hear but figured I’d ask. Is there any truth to this? Asking for a friend. Thanks in advance.

V/R

- J