Kidney Stones (Renal Calculi)

Guest moth1351

Will this waiver need to be approved by AFRC or AETC? Also what is the usual timeline for a response?

Edit. Looks like the waiver guide says AETC. It also says waiver potential "no", does this mean I'm dead in the water, or can I still submit and cross my fingers? Any idea on a timeline?

Cross your fingers. Chance of waiver is low, assuming you're going for Pilot, because I'm guessing you haven't gone to MFS at WPAFB yet since you weren't selected. If you did go, it is a better chance of approval, if not MFS would process the waiver, which is the same week as that TDY. Check out the MFS threads for more info on that.

Cross your fingers. Chance of waiver is low, assuming you're going for Pilot, because I'm guessing you haven't gone to MFS at WPAFB yet since you weren't selected. If you did go, it is a better chance of approval, if not MFS would process the waiver, which is the same week as that TDY. Check out the MFS threads for more info on that.

So I actually got back from MFS about a month ago and had no problems there. But my FC1 expires next month so I was getting it redone so it would be current all the way through UPT. Edited by thoma015

• 3 years later...

So I have a unique case that I am hoping someone can shed some light on. I am an AD officer select, and I was originally selected to be an RPA pilot. I had an age waiver approved to be a pilot, and when I went to get my flight physical, I was approved for FCII but not FCI due to a history of kidney stones (2 several years ago). I have since been to MFS and everything went fine for my FCII. Then, the officer accessions folks called me and told me that they are really hard up for pilots right now, and asked if there was any chance of getting my FC1 approved. The waiver guide is pretty grey in my opinion on what a trained asset is. I have been an aircrew member for 10 years, and currently have an FCIII and FCII waiver for kidney stones. Since UPT students need to meet FCII standards prior to starting UPT, is there any chance of me getting in? I mean I have come this far, and giving up is not something I want to do. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

21 hours ago, anthonykingston said:

So I have a unique case that I am hoping someone can shed some light on. I am an AD officer select, and I was originally selected to be an RPA pilot. I had an age waiver approved to be a pilot, and when I went to get my flight physical, I was approved for FCII but not FCI due to a history of kidney stones (2 several years ago). I have since been to MFS and everything went fine for my FCII. Then, the officer accessions folks called me and told me that they are really hard up for pilots right now, and asked if there was any chance of getting my FC1 approved. The waiver guide is pretty grey in my opinion on what a trained asset is. I have been an aircrew member for 10 years, and currently have an FCIII and FCII waiver for kidney stones. Since UPT students need to meet FCII standards prior to starting UPT, is there any chance of me getting in? I mean I have come this far, and giving up is not something I want to do. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Let me start by saying I haven't a clue about the regs regarding kidneys.  But, I can answer the question about a trained asset.  You are not a trained asset for pilot.  A trained asset refers to someone who is already in the career field.  In other words a current pilot is a trained asset for pilot.  You are considered a trained asset only for the job you currently occupy.  BTW- pilot applicants have to meet FCI standards, not FCII. You were likely given an IFC II (RPA) waiver simply because the requirements for RPA pilots are less stringent than IFC I.  That's due to: 1) Less investment dollars and 2) Shorter commitment.

Probably not what you were hoping to hear, but I hope that at least explains the situation.

• 8 months later...

My son is active duty Air Force and was picked up for OTS. He was selected to be a CSO.  He joined to be CCT and wound up a year later getting reclassed for two much magnesium in his urine. That’s since fixed itself.  He did however have a kidney stone, very mild and hasn’t had any since. While getting his flight physical the doctor told him he’d need a waiver. He’s completed four years now with no further issues. The doctor said he didn’t know if this was waiverable. Any expertise on this  out there would be appreciated.  

• 6 months later...

I'm going to bump this because I have some questions.

I am thinking about applying to undergraduate pilot slots with the ANG so I beleive that I would need a CFI.

I have a history of 3 visits for kidney stones to the hospital. My last occurance was in July of 2009, so nearly 10 years ago. I've been completely asymptomatic since then. I can find some of my records on the patient portal.

I had 3 visits to the ER. First was Nov of 2008. I cannot find records for this one, but I'm fairly certain that one small stone was confirmed via CT. I had a second visit in March 2009, which was written up as possible kidney stone. I had a renal US with no stone found in my kidney. Finally I had a visit in July 2009, with a single 1-2 mm stone inferred in the ureter.

The stones were calcium.

All stones were passed at home with no procedures to break them up nessecary.

I had a horrible diet at the time and little activity. I was told that it was a result of drinking far too much soda. After cutting the soda out, I was fine.

Upon reading the waiver guidelines, it seems that the answer is still a NO due to recurrence. My question is to what the meaning of a NO in the box is. Could I still apply to the AETC for a waiver? What would my chances of a waiver being granted be?

The navy seems to be slightly more lenient, but if I understand it correctly, I would still be denied under their rules because my stones were less than 5 years apart. Is there any chance of receiving a positive waiver from the navy?

Thanks in advance. I can PM certain things like radiology reports if required.