USAF / USA / USN / USMC Vision

Guest doctidy

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if there any RPA pilots here who have a Depth Perception waiver? Had issues passing the test at my flight phys. and am wondering if this will slow down the process of getting into OTS or if it will have any impact on my journey? Any intel/advice will be greatly appreciated! 

Just wondering if there any RPA pilots here who have a Depth Perception waiver? Had issues passing the test at my flight phys. and am wondering if this will slow down the process of getting into OTS or if it will have any impact on my journey? Any intel/advice will be greatly appreciated! 

Nothing to worry about at this point.  Depth perception requirements for RPA Pilots were dropped when the 28 July 2015 MSD (Medical Standards Directory) was released.

Nothing to worry about at this point.  Depth perception requirements for RPA Pilots were dropped when the 28 July 2015 MSD (Medical Standards Directory) was released.

But there is no pipeline direct to RPA, yet. He still needs to go through normal pilot training, including normal FCI standards. RPA MSD criteria only apply to trained assets for now.

Isn't URT at Randolph/Holloman direct to RPA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But there is no pipeline direct to RPA, yet. He still needs to go through normal pilot training, including normal FCI standards. RPA MSD criteria only apply to trained assets for now.

I mis-spoke. He needs to go through normal pilot selection.

That's not what I am seeing. Unless someone is ANG/AFRC, they may be "RPA only" and they only have to meet RPA Pilot standards. We see a handful of "RPA Only" every week.

I have to caveat that I don't know the process, I just know who shows up at my door for an eye exam and what rules apply for the jobs they want.

Edited by stuckindayton
  • Upvote 1

I just hope it's not the end of the road for me and hope either a waiver or retest is possible. I passed the depth perception at MEPS and also just got my prescription renewed and had no problems with depth perception during the eye exam with my eye doc. I would think if I can hit a baseball I would have depth perception but for reasons unknown I could not pass that test. I am hoping there is something I am doing wrong during the test and do not have an actual deficiency of some sort, 

So I have read and searched everything I can about depth perception and Pilot/CSO selection. I recently got off AD under the Palace Chase (PC) program and joined a Guard unit. I will resume my college career in January and have my B.S. in Biology in 2 years. During the PC process, I went in for a IFCIII physical due to the option of cross-training to Loadmaster. It was there that I learned that my depth perception is essentially non-existent. The doc tried multiple tests with and without corrective lenses. I tried the test 3 times before I left AD and once since I've been in the Guard and am baffled at the fact that I can't tell which circle is closer, even in block 'A' (I have tried all the techniques on this site and others to pass). To my knowledge, I was not officially diagnosed with a condition, but the doc stated that my lack of DP may be due to Microtropia or Monofixation Syndrome.

I am wondering if there is any way to become a CSO without depth perception. I have read the Waiver Guide from USAFSAM and (as anticipated) it does not state definitively if a waiver can/will be given for a IFCI for CSO. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

So I have read and searched everything I can about depth perception and Pilot/CSO selection. I recently got off AD under the Palace Chase (PC) program and joined a Guard unit. I will resume my college career in January and have my B.S. in Biology in 2 years. During the PC process, I went in for a IFCIII physical due to the option of cross-training to Loadmaster. It was there that I learned that my depth perception is essentially non-existent. The doc tried multiple tests with and without corrective lenses. I tried the test 3 times before I left AD and once since I've been in the Guard and am baffled at the fact that I can't tell which circle is closer, even in block 'A' (I have tried all the techniques on this site and others to pass). To my knowledge, I was not officially diagnosed with a condition, but the doc stated that my lack of DP may be due to Microtropia or Monofixation Syndrome.

I am wondering if there is any way to become a CSO without depth perception. I have read the Waiver Guide from USAFSAM and (as anticipated) it does not state definitively if a waiver can/will be given for a IFCI for CSO. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

There are alternative tests that can be used to get a depth perception waiver.  Most people find them easier than the OVT (the box you look into that has Line 'A' that you referenced).  However, if you can't see anything on Line 'A' your chances of passing the test needed for a waiver aren't very good.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm new to this excellent looking board. Can't believe all the great information you guys/gals have.  I'll do my best not to color outside the lines.

I have a boy in Air Force ROTC who is interested in becoming an Air Force pilot. He's a hard charger, great GPA, and a well balance kid. So much so, I wonder if he's more closely related to the mailman than me. In any event, he's concerned he won't be qualified because of his vision. We know there are various types of surgery available, such as LASIK and PRK, but aren't sure exactly which one's are allowed, if any. We thought we had someone "in the know" who was going to get back to us with an answer, but haven't heard anything yet.

I really don't have any idea as to what questions I should ask, or what information I should provide. His contact prescription is as follows. B.C. 8.6 DIA 14.0,  under the SPH heading OD +2.25 OS -0.75  These are for 30 day disposable contacts. Does this information tell anybody anything? He's not color blind at all.  Is he qualified (vision wise) to be a pilot, and if not, is there anything he can legally have done? He doesn't want to go through years of prep, including getting his private pilots license, only to find out he's disqualified from the get go. He wants to be an Air Force Officer no matter what happens, but he'd like to know if he should be concentrating his efforts elsewhere.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. From reading past posts, you all seem to have the most knowledgeable board on the net.

Thanks!

On 12/27/2015 at 0:39 PM, Rodion said:

Hello, I'm new to this excellent looking board. Can't believe all the great information you guys/gals have.  I'll do my best not to color outside the lines.

I have a boy in Air Force ROTC who is interested in becoming an Air Force pilot. He's a hard charger, great GPA, and a well balance kid. So much so, I wonder if he's more closely related to the mailman than me. In any event, he's concerned he won't be qualified because of his vision. We know there are various types of surgery available, such as LASIK and PRK, but aren't sure exactly which one's are allowed, if any. We thought we had someone "in the know" who was going to get back to us with an answer, but haven't heard anything yet.

I really don't have any idea as to what questions I should ask, or what information I should provide. His contact prescription is as follows. B.C. 8.6 DIA 14.0,  under the SPH heading OD +2.25 OS -0.75  These are for 30 day disposable contacts. Does this information tell anybody anything? He's not color blind at all.  Is he qualified (vision wise) to be a pilot, and if not, is there anything he can legally have done? He doesn't want to go through years of prep, including getting his private pilots license, only to find out he's disqualified from the get go. He wants to be an Air Force Officer no matter what happens, but he'd like to know if he should be concentrating his efforts elsewhere.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. From reading past posts, you all seem to have the most knowledgeable board on the net.

Thanks!

There's really not enough information to answer the question about qualification, however, there are several items I can comment on.  The right eye is farsighted, hence the positive sign in front of the power.  +2.25 is within the waiverable range, however, the only way to accurately measure farsightedness in many cases is with a cycloplegic refraction (using Cyclopentolate not Tropicamide/Phenylephrine).  Second, the left eye is nearsighted, hence the minus sign in front of the prescription.  When the eyes are different like this, stereopsis (i.e. depth perception) is often compromised.

The only way to determine where your son stands would be to have an optometrist do a cycloplegic exam and measure the degree of stereopsis.  Although it does not guarantee anything it would give you a much better feel for where things stand.  If you choose to get this exam, either post or PM the results and I can comment further.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, stuckindayton said:

There's really not enough information to answer the question about qualification, however, there are several items I can comment on.  The right eye is farsighted, hence the positive sign in front of the power.  +2.25 is within the waiverable range, however, the only way to accurately measure farsightedness in many cases is with a cycloplegic refraction (using Cyclopentolate not Tropicamide/Phenylephrine).  Second, the left eye is nearsighted, hence the minus sign in front of the prescription.  When the eyes are different like this, stereopsis (i.e. depth perception) is often compromised.

The only way to determine where your son stands would be to have an optometrist do a cycloplegic exam and measure the degree of stereopsis.  Although it does not guarantee anything it would give you a much better feel for where things stand.  If you choose to get this exam, either post or PM the results and I can comment further.

StuckinDayton, thanks for the information. I'm not sure exactly how to interpret all of it, but I do know to see about getting him the cycloplegic exam. We are a military family and probably would have the base do it since he's still a dependent. Do you recommend doing this now so he know where he stands? I'm not sure when ROTC does it. He's a sophomore right now. He plaid Varsity football without any problems, so hopefully everything will be fine.

Thanks again for your time and explanation!

Regards...

On 12/27/2015 at 0:39 PM, Rodion said:

If you take him to any AF Optometrist and explain that you want a cycloplegic refraction and stereopsis measurement it would go a long ways to determining if he is pilot qualified.  Again, it's no guarantee, but you'll have a better feeling where he stands.

• Upvote 1

BLUF: as stuckindayton wrote, he should get a cycloplegic assessment ASAP.  I encourage you to provide those results to us, either here or in a PM.  Refractive Surgery (PRK or LASIK) might be his best chance for pursuing a Pilot position.

We can't give a good answer as the contacts prescription is not as comprehensive.  Also, everybody's vision changes as they age.  But guesstimating from the prescription you provided indicates he does not meet IFCI standards for a both Hyperopia (farsightedness) and Anisometropia (difference in vision for each eye).  Again making assumptions, he would be eligible for a IFCI waiver for his Hyperopia but not for the Anisometropia, not to mention the very likely possibility he would have trouble passing depth perception.  Also, this would be very borderline for a Navigator applicant.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, deaddebate said:

BLUF: as stuckindayton wrote, he should get a cycloplegic assessment ASAP.  I encourage you to provide those results to us, either here or in a PM.  Refractive Surgery (PRK or LASIK) might be his best chance for pursuing a Pilot position.

We can't give a good answer as the contacts prescription is not as comprehensive.  Also, everybody's vision changes as they age.  But guesstimating from the prescription you provided indicates he does not meet IFCI standards for a both Hyperopia (farsightedness) and Anisometropia (difference in vision for each eye).  Again making assumptions, he would be eligible for a IFCI waiver for his Hyperopia but not for the Anisometropia, not to mention the very likely possibility he would have trouble passing depth perception.  Also, this would be very borderline for a Navigator applicant.

I seem to recall someone saying he had good depth perception at one time. Maybe it was something else.  I thought he would be eligible if he had Lasik surgery, but might be with PRK? Not sure of the exact difference... Thx....

5 hours ago, Rodion said:

I seem to recall someone saying he had good depth perception at one time. Maybe it was something else.  I thought he would be eligible if he had Lasik surgery, but might be with PRK? Not sure of the exact difference... Thx....

Refractive surgery is not out of the question, but in this case I would not consider it until all other options are considered.

• 3 weeks later...
On October 29, 2015 at 8:18 PM, deaddebate said:

Can someone take a look at this app and give a report?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/med-standards/id1018687273

I don't own anything Apple, and it doesn't have an Android version yet.

Speaking as a civilian, the app appears to be laid out in a nice manner and holds useful information that people can use to answer basic questions (e.g. vision limitations, allergies, physical standards). The files are formatted in PDF and you can even use a search function for quick referencing. The only problem I have is the app will crash if it loads for more then 5 seconds. This could be induced by me using my iPhone 4S. Works good on the older iPad. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I underwent LASIK surgery on 1/27/16. I am currently two days out and I have 20/20 in my left eye and 20/25 in my right. This is from an initial 4.75/4.5 dipolar respectively. My right eye is generally blurrier than my left at this point, kind of frustrating. I know this can take weeks to even out. I will maintain my patience.

Edited by Jiancor

• 1 year later...

I received my ROTC pilot slot a few weeks ago. My vision isn't perfect but seems to be within allowable standards, possibly needing a waiver worst case scenario. 

My cadre waited to the last second to schedule my FCI appointment and due to the high numbers of Rated selectees this year I was only able to get the last possible date in September after HQ pulled some strings since I commission in Dec rather than May. With the possibility of needing a waiver, and being on such a short timeline(2months before commissioning & 5 before EAD to UPT) what is the average timeline for how long a waiver(visual acuity is the one I may need) takes? Would it even be possible to get a waiver in that time period?

8 hours ago, Flying EE said:

I received my ROTC pilot slot a few weeks ago. My vision isn't perfect but seems to be within allowable standards, possibly needing a waiver worst case scenario. 

My cadre waited to the last second to schedule my FCI appointment and due to the high numbers of Rated selectees this year I was only able to get the last possible date in September after HQ pulled some strings since I commission in Dec rather than May. With the possibility of needing a waiver, and being on such a short timeline(2months before commissioning & 5 before EAD to UPT) what is the average timeline for how long a waiver(visual acuity is the one I may need) takes? Would it even be possible to get a waiver in that time period?

I believe most physicals take around 6 weeks to process.  Requiring waivers does not change this.  If someone is on a short timeline, their physical will get expedited.  BTW- there is no longer a visual acuity standard.  You simply have to meet the refractive error requirements (-3.00 for myopia, -1.50 for astigmatism and +2.00 for hyperopia).

13 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

I believe most physicals take around 6 weeks to process.  Requiring waivers does not change this.  If someone is on a short timeline, their physical will get expedited.  BTW- there is no longer a visual acuity standard.  You simply have to meet the refractive error requirements (-3.00 for myopia, -1.50 for astigmatism and +2.00 for hyperopia).

Thanks!