Questions on TPS (Test Pilot School)

Guest STLCFII

I've actually heard of more than AFSOC that has done this, there are more than a few stories of "we didn't realize there was a deadline" and "sorry we lost it"... Make sure it gets in early and then call to confirm it is there! The only person that cares about it being submitted is you... you are essentially telling your MAJCOM to go pound sand, I'm going to try my luck somewhere else.

This. In my current situation, my SQ/CC is essentially holding my 1712 hostage until she finds out whether or not my WG/CC will support losing an 11F to a potential TPS assignment. Apparently, if my WG/CC won't let the AFSC go, then my commander won't support my application.

As a side note, rated TPS grads have our own AFPC functional vice the MDS-specific guy you had on the porch before.

You wouldn't happen to have a POC, would you?

Thanks, again.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what the curriculum is like for helo guys? Read earlier on the forum that the fixed-wing get to fly about 25 different types of aircraft. But that the helo dudes go to pax river. Do they do purely rotary-wing stuff, or do they get familiarize with other fixed wing A/C too?

Also, what will helo test pilots do after for their assignments? Will they only do rotary wing testing?

This. In my current situation, my SQ/CC is essentially holding my 1712 hostage until she finds out whether or not my WG/CC will support losing an 11F to a potential TPS assignment. Apparently, if my WG/CC won't let the AFSC go, then my commander won't support my application.

You wouldn't happen to have a POC, would you?

Thanks, again.

R-Dub, My two cents ... (1) Check myPers and find the PSDM announcing last year's picks. If you're an 11F, there should be about ten selects to contact and get the inside scoop. Sadly, very few in Ops have a clue of how the application works ... or what it can do for your career (i.e. IDE in-residence equivalent). (2) Talk to Mr. Peterson at AFPC -worst case, try calling anyone at the DPAOT extension. (3) My last chance to apply was denied for not meeting the min TOS. At that point, I didn't have anyone on my side who could push for a waiver ... and the TPS ship sailed. All the best to ya though!

Sadly, very few in Ops have a clue of how the application works ...

True statement.

or what it can do for your career (i.e. IDE in-residence equivalent).

Is this legit?

Talk to Mr. Peterson at AFPC -worst case, try calling anyone at the DPAOT extension...My last chance to apply was denied for not meeting the min TOS.

So, yeah, I talked to both Mr. Peterson and the DPOAT, and they both kind of conceded to the Fighter Porch, so I'll probably have a TOS issue for this years board, regardless of whether or not I was even competitive to the board. Here's hoping for 7 consecutive miracles for this year's selection!

Is this legit?

Yes, TPS qualifies as IDE in-res (36-2301, Table 4). Anyone feel free to correct me, but what I've been told by a couple current test pilots is that they will try to send you to an actual school if you are a school select, but otherwise you can request equivalency credit from the DT board. You would still have to do ACSC online in order to receive credit.

you can request equivalency credit from the DT board.

It is not automatic though, I'm pretty sure your record still competes for school and if selected then they will look at your preferences... if your preference is credit, then that is what you get. And if you compete for school and get selected as an alternate... then credit is off the table and if someone drops out ahead of you and you are the next in line, you go. (probably 10% truth from the rumor mil) and if you are a Capt when you go through? I don't know...

Also, what will helo test pilots do after for their assignments? Will they only do rotary wing testing?

Of the 5 helo guys I am aware of who went to TPS in recent times, two are in RW test, and one is in CV-22s. Not sure about the other two, I lost track of them.

Yes, TPS qualifies as IDE in-res (36-2301, Table 4). Anyone feel free to correct me, but what I've been told by a couple current test pilots is that they will try to send you to an actual school if you are a school select, but otherwise you can request equivalency credit from the DT board. You would still have to do ACSC online in order to receive credit.

True, leadership still pushes for school attendance, but no bets on what the DT and/or DEDB will decide.

and if you are a Capt when you go through? I don't know...

Still eligible for credit when you meet your IDE looks

Of the 5 helo guys I am aware of who went to TPS in recent times, two are in RW test, and one is in CV-22s. Not sure about the other two, I lost track of them.

Not unlike the operational 11H world, blue-patched RW folks are challenged career-wise beyond their first test assignment. AFMC has exactly 1 RW SQ/CC spot and we don't have any firm RW staff positions. That picture leads to stunted career opportunities. I cannot think of a single RW TPS-grad O-6. That said, connections with industry are very good with this job. A conversation with a current helo test pilot is a must for any RW guy considering applying to TPS.

All AF RW test is now under the 413 FLTS at Hurlburt/Duke and its Det at Nellis. There are limited positions, but still need 1-2 folks per year to go to TPS for the various MDS's and locations. If you'd like to get in touch with a rotary type grad, PM me. True statement, after a test tour in the 413th, the path is pretty unclear due to the options, or lack thereof (much the same for C-130 nav grads). Staff and program office jobs are most likely, then you compete with your rotary peers, as well as all of the C-130 grads, for the 413th sq/cc.

Anyone hear any info from the 2013 board or know what the traditional timeline is for interview selection announcements?

The board met two weeks ago. If selected for an interview, expect notification sometime in the next few weeks with interviews in the Sep-Nov timeframe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I know this has been briefly touched on before, but does anyone know if it's likely for a ANG fighter pilot to be selected to TPS? I know Col Colmer did it some years back and that the AFI does mention guardsmen, but has anyone had any experience on how likely it is to happen? Would a guard unit typically let you go on EAD for TPS?

Also, does anyone know how many hours guard fighter pilots normally get? I'm wondering whether it's likely for them to get the required 750 hrs before they become too senior to be considered.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hey folks,

I know this has been briefly touched on before, but does anyone know if it's likely for a ANG fighter pilot to be selected to TPS? I know Col Colmer did it some years back and that the AFI does mention guardsmen, but has anyone had any experience on how likely it is to happen? Would a guard unit typically let you go on EAD for TPS?

Also, does anyone know how many hours guard fighter pilots normally get? I'm wondering whether it's likely for them to get the required 750 hrs before they become too senior to be considered.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Straight from the PDSM

NOTE: Members of the ANG and AFRC are currently ineligible to apply to TPS due to suspension of all voluntary recall programs

No problem and thanks! In case it does change in the coming years, do you know how many hours a guard fighter pilot could expect to get yearly?

No clue...depends on the unit...funding...how much they like you...etc. But instructor would probably be able to happen faster than the 750 if they were on board with pushing you for TPS.

No problem and thanks! In case it does change in the coming years, do you know how many hours a guard fighter pilot could expect to get yearly?

I don't see any Guard unit in the country other than Tucson as being willing to throw a guy in AD orders for a year to go to TPS. Let me ask you this: what makes you want to go to TPS in the first place?

I'm an engineer, and while Ive no doubt I would love flying, I would miss engineering in the long run. I've no desire to fly for the airlines, and frankly I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to get back into engineering if I left it for a 12 year adsc (although that could be just a misconception of mine). The guard would let me combine two of my passions.

TPS would be heavenly exactly because it combines engineering and flight, but mostly because ultimately I want to get into spacecraft test and evaluation, and I feel that TPS would be the best avenue into that niche field. It would also help with NASA's astronaut selection boards, although I do realize it's a longshot and I'd be more than content with being a test pilot or flight test engineer in the aviation or space industries.

Those are the main motivators and, honestly, after a few years in industry I do think that I'd feel at home in the fast-pace and challenging environment of a flight test program.

It would also help with NASA's astronaut selection boards, although I do realize it's a longshot and I'd be more than content with being a test pilot or flight test engineer in the aviation or space industries.

Do you know what they call Test Pilot School grads who go to the astronaut board, but don't quite make the cut?

Program Managers.

• Upvote 1

Do you know what they call Test Pilot School grads who go to the astronaut board, but don't quite make the cut?

Program Managers.

Why are we wasting time on hypotheticals so far removed from the present...IF you get picked up at the unit, IF you pass UPT in the top half, IF you pass IFF, IF you pass RTU, IF you don't get killed, IF you pass your pt test...blah blah blah, then 5 years down the road you might want to gladly help the air force out and go to TPS. Great....get in line with everyone else and their mom...oh and actually get on the train that everyone is riding instead of yelling all these questions from the station.

I've no intention or desire to waste anyone's time, nor do I have the presumption to think that I'll do well enough to pass all those gates. I'm simply doing my homework. You'll concede that it's only sensible to inquire about my options and seek advice from people with far more experience than I do before signing up for a 12 year commitment. That's not to say that not having the option to go to TPS would be a deal-breaker, but I'd at least want to research possibilities before deciding whether my personal preference would be the Guard, Reserve, or AD.

If you do think that I'm wasting your time, I apologize. But I do assure you that it's far from what I want.

Edited by luke_c