One Kidney

Guest TrevorW

Guest TrevorW

Hi, first post... I was wondering the possibility of obtaining a waiver for having one kidney. My kidney was not removed by surgery, I was only born with one kidney. My FAA medical examiner is a Nephrologist and had no qualms with issuing me a first class medical. I have no other or related underlying health problems. Is this an automatic deal breaker or is there any precedent for this type of situation? I appreciate any info, Thanks.

Guest Thriller

This is a definitely a new one to my ears.

Trevor,

I'm sure Rage or F16PilotMD will be able to lead you in the right direction. Welcome to the forum.

Rage/F16PilotMD,

Would the FC1 or MFS even be able to pick up on the fact that Trevor only has one kidney???

Due to the fact that he had no surgery...is this something that he would even have to report? And if he didn't...would the screening even be able to notice it?

I do remember having a chest cavity X-ray done at FC1/MFS, however that would only pick up bone structure...not organs. However, I guess it would be possible to see shadows.

Never-the-less...I too would like to know the answer to this one

Peace,

THRILLER

[ 04. January 2006, 20:50: Message edited by: Thriller ]

Guest F16PilotMD

DQ

A7.21.10. Absence of one kidney. Functional impairment of either or both kidneys.

"How would they know?" etc. etc. Probably wouldn't be able to tell on routine IFC-1 physical without surgical scars. ????Abnormal renal function on labs but doubtful.

"Do you have to report it?" etc, etc,:

I think we've about covered this question with multiple other medical issues. If you try, can you hide things? Yes. Only your conscience can guide you.

Waiver for something like this....? My thought is no.

Rage, thoughts?

Guest TrevorW

No abnormal renal function, it was an incidental finding during and ultrasound following a car accident. Thanks for your input.

Sounds like the best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut about it...to anyone. But that's just my opinion...how bad do you want to fly? Seems pretty dumb to me to get yourself DQ'd because you said something about a medical condition that doesn't really have any adverse affects (according to the 1st Class Medical doc).

Guest F16PilotMD

Just so it's clear to all....

A civilian 1st Class medical means nothing. You would be amazed and frightened to know what's "legal" in the civ system. Yes, these are airline Captains...no, it means nothing to us.

"...doesn't really have any adverse effects..." Not in your day-to-day living, it doesn't. However, you are missing a very important redundant system and you need to protect the one kidney you have left. Contact sports, etc...no-no's.

As far as not telling anyone...that's been covered numerous times on this board by myself and Rage. Bad idea.

Guest doctidy

A question:

- How did you find out that you only had one kidney?

and a comment:

- The culture of lying, hiding, or otherwise telling half-truths MUST END. The academy has a policy on integrity...yet there is some concept here that it does not apply to a flight physical. Same goes for cheating, ie-memorizing the color vision chart (which BTW does not work as we mix up the plates and have plates that are internally generated). One of the Air Force' core values is integrity. I like the Army's policy on this subject so much I believe I will lobby for the AF to adopt. That policy being...if you fill out the form and it is found to be false, it is an automatic DQ. That policy is uphelp by Army line leadership. FACT = the AF needs upstanding officers more than it needs pilot applicants.

I'll let you know tomorrow if single kidney is waiverable for MILITARY aviation (which carries totally different requirements w/ regards to mission/safety than being an ATP).

Guest TrevorW

It was discovered that I only have one kidney after a car accident. They did an ultrasound to check for internal injuries (none present). The kidney is present and vascular just non-functioning. Blood tests and urinalysis confirmed that my functioning kidney is working properly. I wouldn't lie about it, that is why I am asking. Is this condition waiverable for a non-flight position? Thanks for your help.

Guest doctidy

We have waived single kidney for joining the Air Force. As for pilot...it would be on a case by case basis. We're not sure if we ever have...would be an extensive database querry to find out.

Trevor, case by case basis means you have a shot. Throw in an app, get a pilot slot, and then if you are denied or dq'd go from there. Don't dq yourself just yet.

Rage is great about these things and will probably look further for you, if nothing is found about anyone ever flying then be the one to set the precident, finish UPT and educate the others in your situation.

Good luck, and hope it works out favorably for you. Wait until you get 10 doctors telling you no way, and even then be skeptical while pursuing your dream. You found a great site to start looking a little deeper into your situation, give it a couple of days to work for you.

-j

Guest Thriller
Originally posted by TrevorW:

It was discovered that I only have one kidney after a car accident. They did an ultrasound to check for internal injuries (none present). The kidney is present and vascular just non-functioning. Blood tests and urinalysis confirmed that my functioning kidney is working properly. I wouldn't lie about it, that is why I am asking. Is this condition waiver able for a non-flight position? Thanks for your help.

Trevor,

Your first post was a bit confusing. In your first post you said..."I was only born with one kidney". Now this post says..."The kidney is present and vascular just non-functioning". If you have Unilateral Renal Agenesis, then you have only one kidney. However, after your most recient post, I'm "guessing" you have just unilateral kidney disfunction. Both of with are medical conditions that your doctor should have diagnosed and filed in your records.

I'm confused bro.

Also,

If the kidneys is vascular and no physical abnormalities exist. How did they conclude that it was not functioning?

I noticed that you said that you had a blood test and urinalysis confirmed normal kidney functioning for your working kidney. However, did they find abnormal proteins in the urine?

This is the only way that I can see how they figured you had one non-working kidney (with the exception of maybe high blood pressure).

Rage...you agree?

Furthermore, if abnormal protein levels were found...then chances are they will be found on your urinalysis that you take at the FC1/MFS. This could then lead to further testing and questioning.

Just keep that in mind.

Peace,

THRILLER

[ 07. January 2006, 06:26: Message edited by: Thriller ]

Guest TrevorW

They discovered I have one (functioning) kidney via ultrasound. As far as it being vascular, they said that the veins around it were not having any problems, it is a kidney, I guess its just shriveled or something. To be safe they did blood and urine tests, both showed no problems. I would like to apply for a pilot slot, but I don't want to go through all the work to get one and then be immediately DQ'd. I am just trying to get as much info on it as possible and determine if it is a worthwhile venture.

Guest cbire880

Still sounds like a fishy diagnosis. Except for a few cases, the phrase "where there's a will, there's a waiver" seems to apply. If you want to be a pilot, put your nose to the grindstone and get the process started. Let them tell you no, don't assume you are DQ'd. I thought I'd get DQ'd and have to go for a waiver for my ACL surgery, but it turns out I could pass right at MEPS with an X-ray. Basically, don't make the DQ decision yourself. See a doc who knows the regs and let him tell you the bad news with the supporting documentation to show that its a DQ.

Guest doctidy

All the posts since mine have it right...there are a lot of unanswered questions. But like Greasy says, we won't be able to answer the questions unless you get to the point where your tests and docs words are on the standards guys desks. Put in an application.

cbire - We ask the flight docs to submit the paper, whether Q or DQ by the "regs". Its not the "regs" they need to know, but what we are waiving...that is not written down.

• 5 years later...
Guest Zerohour

*Reviving thread*

i have read this specific topic since i joined rotc in 2007. The situation that i am dealing with is that i have one kidney. When i was 4 i was diagnosed with wilms tumor. I had my right kidney removed along with the tumor. I have been cancer free for 18 years now with no relapse or any adverse affects. I have had check ups every 2 years all the way until 2007 when i went to college. Everything has been fine. I joined rotc with the fact that i knew i was fighting a up hill battle. I got my waiver for one kidney in 2008 and went to Field Training in 2009. I am currentley a Senior commisoning in may. i did not recivie a pilot slot last year, but i was picked up 2 weeks ago for a RPA slot. Today i was told by one of the cadre at my det that the inital paperwork that was sent off to the base were i am to get my fc2u flight physical done has dq'ed me because of my one kidney. the person told them that it is dq'ing for all rated positions. now i have read this topic and it seems like its a case by case basis and that some people knew a guy who donated and went to upt and what not so it appears that SOMEWHERE someone has gotten through the paperwork surrounding a condition like this. my question is though with being a rpa pilot and technically not flying since i am on the ground, is this one kidney policy still applicable to me? they are sending my paperwork to aetc for a decision but i dont know if their is something i need to be doing or getting more paperwork to somebody in the meantime. I assume they are including my doctors letter that states i am cured and my left kidney is 100% aswell as what i had put on my dodmerb. any advice would be helpful.

• 3 months later...
Guest Zerohour

Just wanted to Let everyone know that having one kidney is not disqualyfing for RPA pilot as the flight doc has put my waiver through!

As for being a pilot he said the regs are a bit weird as somebody already on Active duty would have a much easier time getting a waiver than somebody applying through rotc/ots.

Guest Randy170

I know with my kidney disease, the word I got from a friend of a of a current USAF flight surgeon, is that it depends on a case-by-case basis. If you want it really bad and this is made known to the flight surgeon and you are not currently or haven't in the past, experience any effects from having one kidney, it could increase the likelihood that a waiver be issued, provided your condition would not affect your flight status. My thoughts on whether to tell the flight surgeon or not would be that, if asked by the FS, that you disclose it, so you don't put yourself into a bad situation later on if they find out you only have one kidney. Best of luck to you!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Zerohour

My flight physical got approved yesterday with 1 kidney. They told me i had no chance from the start. never give up

• 6 years later...
On 1/6/2006 at 4:34 AM, Guest doctidy said:

We have waived single kidney for joining the Air Force. As for pilot...it would be on a case by case basis. We're not sure if we ever have...would be an extensive database querry to find out.

I also have a single kidney because the right one had a blood vessel wrapped around it so it was failing. I had it removed surgically. I would like to join the Army, what are my chances of getting a waiver for this? Thanks 

4 hours ago, GDAL said:

Did you just create an account on an Air Force flying forum, pose some medically obscure scenario in reply to a post from 2006, and ask how it affects your chances with the Army?

...sounds like you're mentally qualified.

I was honestly wondering if anyone else had any success with only one kidney but if you’ll criticize then do what you want. I got my info sent to a army national guard recruiter today so hopefully I’ll hear back if there’s the possibility of a waiver or if I’m out of luck.

Here are a few suggestions...

verticalreference.com
kiowapilots.com
APTAP.org

But honestly I think your best bet would be to contact an Army recruiter and see what they say!

Good luck!  M2