Information on Flying Class 1(FC1)/MFS at Brooks

Guest k181

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see this in the thread: Is MFS the same, whether you're getting and FCII or FCI? I was there for an FCII and recently picked up a guard pilot slot. Do I need to go back to MFS?

Guest El Bastardo

From what I understand, MFS is only done if you are going to Pilot Training. And if you are selected to go to Pilot Training, you will go do your Class I and MFS at the same time. You will prolly have to go again to get the other necessary eye tests for the Class I, and do the MFS [games]. Thats my 2 cents, was there over the summer for the Class I/MFS and those are the guidelines as I see it.

I'm newly commissioned Lieutenant that had my FC1 accomplished at a local AFB instead of doing the typical Brooks IFC/MFS combo like most ROTC comissionees. What should I expected when I head to Brooks to accomplish the MFS already having a certified FC1? Will there be any repetition of the tests I've already accomplished/additional work ups on any waivers I've been granted or should I be golden if a condition has already been waived?

Edited by Odium

Guest FlighHy

I'm newly commissioned Lieutenant that had my FC1 accomplished at a local AFB instead of doing the typical Brooks IFC/MFS combo like most ROTC comissionees. What should I expected when I head to Brooks to accomplish the MFS already having a certified FC1? Will there be any repetition of the tests I've already accomplished/additional work ups on any waivers I've been granted or should I be golden if a condition has already been waived?

I just did the same thing. They don't repeat anything the local clinic already completed. You'll just have to take the computer based questioning and probably some vision tests. If you're "tall" or "short" the may stuff you in a mock cockpit to verify some anthropometrics. Other than that, you should be good.

I just want to share some insight on the IFC1 and MFS down at Brooks. First off,the entire staff at brooks is amazing. We had the largest group they had ever had back in August and they handled it very well. Everyone was really friendly and helpfull and was willing to walk you through tests if you needed it.

As far as the process goes. We were split into two groups on the first day. The first showing up at 7 am made up of Guard and ROTC and the other at 9:30 am which was all ROTC. We did all the blood work, heart exam, dental, hearing, and finished with all the vision tests (i.e. visual acuity, depth perception, color vision, etc...) We finished at about 4 pm.

Both groups came back the next day at about 8 am and we did the psych test and the drug urinalysis as well as chest x-rays. That was pretty much it for the 2nd day.

The last day consisted of dilating your eyes and doing more eye tests and finishing off with seeing the Flight Doc for a complete physical. We had people get released anywhere from 1 pm to 5 pm depending on what tests still needed to be done.

Overall, the process wasnt as bad as we all make it out to be. Most everyone there is nervous about something happening but for the most part it is all a mental thing. Plus the lodging is great too with pretty large rooms. Do your best to get out into San Antonio as its a great city.

Hopefully this gives some of you an idea of what exactly goes on during the process. Also, Wright-Pat is taking over the IFC1 and MFS duties here soon as brooks is getting closer to handing it off there. And as far as the timeline for approval, mine took about 6 weeks to get certified. One cadet in my Det who was down there with me had hers approved in about 4 1/2 weeks.

Guest El Bastardo

Just got my Physical through Brooks approved. I'm guessing they are super backed up; I went in late July, requested no waivers and finally approved. So, looks like a 12 week turnaround for me.

Just got my Physical through Brooks approved. I'm guessing they are super backed up; I went in late July, requested no waivers and finally approved. So, looks like a 12 week turnaround for me.

Are you Rotc or guard?

Guest El Bastardo

I'm ROTC. I'm thinking it was on our side to slow everything down, AFROTC HQ (like the others) is definetly in no hurry to pump them out

Edited by El Bastardo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just curious, do you bring any forms or records or anything like that from civilian doctors, or do they basically start from scratch? My records are scattered at several different doctors in several different states (and before age 10, several countries), and it would be a massive PITA to have to collect them all.

Just curious, do you bring any forms or records or anything like that from civilian doctors, or do they basically start from scratch? My records are scattered at several different doctors in several different states (and before age 10, several countries), and it would be a massive PITA to have to collect them all.

My opinion: It depends on what you have records for. I had a surgery that put a Ti rod in my leg, and a wakeboarding fall where I got checked out for a possible concussion. My unit was very avid about me getting in all of my paperwork, partly to cover myself. A friendly phone call got the ER from my wakeboarding fall to fax me all the paperwork in about 30 mins. A visit to my orthopaedic surgeon got all of my pre/post reports and even got him to write a recommendation that my leg is just fine. Brooks got this all up front, and I think it helped my medical go much more smoothly (there weren't any unanswered questions). Did they need it all? maybe, Did they look at it all, maybe. It was a pain and I know it sucks, but I'D rather be safe than sorry. I think having it all lined up and being over-prepared goes a long way in showing them you want this. I went through before they started their move and it was a very pleasant experience.

chuckster

Guest goducks

If you have/had a medical condition/event that is potentially disqualifying, I'd bring all the documentation. That doesn't mean every doctor's visit you've ever made, but if you were in a motor vehicle accident and ended up in the ER with broken bones or a concussion, you will more than likely need paperwork explaining the specifics. If you don't bring it, you'll be on the phone while at Wright-Patt and that's not ideal.

Makes sense, thanks. On the other hand (and this is purely hypothetical, I've never broken a bone or had a concussion in my life), if you did have a broken bone, and it fully healed and there's no trace of the injury ever happening, might it be easier just to say it never happened, just from a paperwork point of view? You know it's fine, your doc knows it's fine, so why let Wright-Patt worry about it? I know "lying" on medical forms is a big no-no, but if it makes everyone's lives easier...Again, just curious.

Edited by LoneWolf121188

Guest chairfly

Hello Everyone- Does anyone have any more "specific" details on the approval process for the FC1/MFS and the Air Guard? The reason I ask is that I had a medical DQ from active duty AF and the FC1. I have done my best to fix this issue and I think everything is fine now. I have heard that the Guard FC1 approval process is much different. First off, they do not use DODMERB as the final authority, it's guard bureau instead. Anyone have any more details about this? If DODMERB/AETC DQed my FC1 for active duty, will they still see that when I apply for Guard? Or am I starting fresh and they make the decision based off my new information?

Regards,

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hhwingman1

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I've had a decent amount of dental work done, however a lot of it is from when I was younger and I can't remember exactly what office may have done what or when they did it. I'm a little worried that if I unintentionally leave out... say one of my oral surgeries, could that come back to haunt me. Do they do some sort of a medical background check(insurance/medical records) for MEPS or the FC1?

Guest goducks

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I've had a decent amount of dental work done, however a lot of it is from when I was younger and I can't remember exactly what office may have done what or when they did it. I'm a little worried that if I unintentionally leave out... say one of my oral surgeries, could that come back to haunt me. Do they do some sort of a medical background check(insurance/medical records) for MEPS or the FC1?

No background checks that I'm aware of.

Guest goducks

Hello Everyone- Does anyone have any more "specific" details on the approval process for the FC1/MFS and the Air Guard? The reason I ask is that I had a medical DQ from active duty AF and the FC1. I have done my best to fix this issue and I think everything is fine now. I have heard that the Guard FC1 approval process is much different. First off, they do not use DODMERB as the final authority, it's guard bureau instead. Anyone have any more details about this? If DODMERB/AETC DQed my FC1 for active duty, will they still see that when I apply for Guard? Or am I starting fresh and they make the decision based off my new information?

Regards,

Dan

Dan,

To the best of my knowledge, the active duty and ANG processes are the same, other than the MAJCOM making the final decision (at least I believe that ANG manages their own cases versus AETC). As far as whether anyone will be aware that you had previously applied...all your information should be in an electronic waiver system called AIMWTS, so they would be able to see it if they wish to look. However, if you've fixed everything necessary, then it really shouldn't matter. The decision is based on your current status.

Guest hhwingman1

No background checks that I'm aware of.

Thanks, I was under the impression that you release your medical records to them, and they research your history.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest goducks

Has MFS fully moved to Wright-Patt or are they still doing it at Brooks?

Brooks is done, everything is packed or on a truck. First group is scheduled for 21 March at Wright-Patt. Starting slow since there was a huge turnover in staff, but will ramp up quickly.