Information on Flying Class 1(FC1)/MFS at Brooks

Guest k181

First, thank you very much for this P27, we all appreciate it.

Secondly, I had a question about getting an FCI before OTS while NOT being age critical, and whether it is allowed, frowned upon, or just not allowed at all. I know that age critical people have to get their FCI and put that in with their OTS application (do they also go through MFS too, or just the FCI portion?).

I know this it putting the cart way ahead of the horse, but if someone (read me) was really worried about somehow not passing the FCI/MFS, is it possible to go through the process before being selected to OTS? It would be an enormous relief to be able to know a simple yes or no (even if it was a no) before the whole process begins and you get worked up just to be let down. It would be really hard to be awarded a pilot slot, get worked up, and then be told your dreams are over because your heart has some obscure flaw or ___________ other random disease/ disability/ or whatever else.

Part of me wants to say they wouldn't because they want people who have actually committed (as opposed to some random civilian) to the AF before they pour all this money into them by doing all of those medical tests, but then again they let (force) civilians to go through the process (although again they're age critical).

This is still 2-3 years out, so things could obviously change, but as of now, do you know what the deal is with cases like this?

Thanks, and I appreciate any help.

Edited by donkey

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, thank you very much for this P27, we all appreciate it.

Secondly, I had a question about getting an FCI before OTS while NOT being age critical, and whether it is allowed, frowned upon, or just not allowed at all. I know that age critical people have to get their FCI and put that in with their OTS application (do they also go through MFS too, or just the FCI portion?).

I know this it putting the cart way ahead of the horse, but if someone (read me) was really worried about somehow not passing the FCI/MFS, is it possible to go through the process before being selected to OTS? It would be an enormous relief to be able to know a simple yes or no (even if it was a no) before the whole process begins and you get worked up just to be let down. It would be really hard to be awarded a pilot slot, get worked up, and then be told your dreams are over because your heart has some obscure flaw or ___________ other random disease/ disability/ or whatever else.

Part of me wants to say they wouldn't because they want people who have actually committed (as opposed to some random civilian) to the AF before they pour all this money into them by doing all of those medical tests, but then again they let (force) civilians to go through the process (although again they're age critical).

This is still 2-3 years out, so things could obviously change, but as of now, do you know what the deal is with cases like this?

Thanks, and I appreciate any help.

Short answer - No. I asked my recruiter before my app went to the board and he said that unfortunately the AF doesn't want to spend the $$ to send all their applicants to get physicals prior to their selection. Kind of stinks, I know, but at the same time it does make sense... I go to do mine in about a week (am a little nervous too) so wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes!

Update:

I just got back from Brooks today. I just wanted to announce that it's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. The staff are courteous and professional. They did a great job making us all comfortable, and from what I could tell were extremely helpful in getting waivers and retests.

Only real complaints: MFS blows pretty hard. I took the IQ test seriously for about an hour, but it gets exhausting. The proctor is pretty cute though.

Day 2 takes forever. Big group + specialized equipment/tests = Hurry up and wait all day.

On the whole the trip was actually kind of fun. Thanks to P27 and co.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SCtrojan

So I just went for my flying class 1/a today at LA Air Force Base. Well, part of it. They did bloodwork, x-rays, hearing, blood pressure, urine test, and intraocular pressure. I am going back tomorrow for dental, and then will have to schedule to see the doctor after that. Furthermore, my eye exam isn't until the 23rd. Does any of this seem disorganized or is there anything I am missing? I feel like I expected there to be more to it than that.

Also, my intraocular readings from the puff test were 20 in my right eye and 25 in my left. This was after several tests. I know that you have to be 22 or below to not be medically DQed, but a waiver is possible for under 30. Is it likely that I'd get a waiver? I know that they have to do that contact test as well. Would they do this during my eye exam on the 23rd?

Edited by SCtrojan

I'm flying to San Antonio this Sunday for my FC1 at Brooks. TMO booked me on a flight home Tuesday morning, which I'll obviously have to reschedule.

What's up with the 'must not leave before noon Wednesday' policy? I'd much rather fly out as early as possible on Wednesday morning.

I'm flying to San Antonio this Sunday for my FC1 at Brooks. TMO booked me on a flight home Tuesday morning, which I'll obviously have to reschedule.

What's up with the 'must not leave before noon Wednesday' policy? I'd much rather fly out as early as possible on Wednesday morning.

Everyone would. They do that in case they need to repeat tests or depending on your situation do more tests. Since they don't know who that will be they have that rule for everyone.

Guest goducks
So I just went for my flying class 1/a today at LA Air Force Base. Well, part of it. They did bloodwork, x-rays, hearing, blood pressure, urine test, and intraocular pressure. I am going back tomorrow for dental, and then will have to schedule to see the doctor after that. Furthermore, my eye exam isn't until the 23rd. Does any of this seem disorganized or is there anything I am missing? I feel like I expected there to be more to it than that.

Also, my intraocular readings from the puff test were 20 in my right eye and 25 in my left. This was after several tests. I know that you have to be 22 or below to not be medically DQed, but a waiver is possible for under 30. Is it likely that I'd get a waiver? I know that they have to do that contact test as well. Would they do this during my eye exam on the 23rd?

Your experience demonstrates why Brooks has become a clearhouse for physicals. Two/three days in and out and everything complete. As Nole pointed out, small bases are simply not equipped with the people to handle these things expeditiously.

Regarding the puff test...It is no more than a screening. You cannot be DQ'd based on a puff test. A contact (Goldmann) tonometer will (should) be used when you see the eye doc. This will determine your true IOP (intraocular pressure).

I wouldn't sweat it. Most of the time the non-contact test is high, it's wrong.

GD

• 3 months later...
Guest desrea777

So after multiple searches, etc. I can't seem to find an answer to this, hopefully someone can help.

So I know at Brooks they will conduct a Cycoplegic exam to determine my refraction, and I've read this is using an eye chart (either on the wall or using an electronic device) and they will see what power lenses get you to 20/20, which gives them my refractive error. That I understand, and have already had done at my Guard unit coming out right at -3.00 on both eyes. My question is about an "autorefractor" or a "keratometer" which, if I'm not mistaken, are devices that automatically determine your prescription by seeing how your eyes focus. Do they use either of these devices? If so, and if the numbers don't match (let's say I'm -3.00 with the Cycoplegic and -3.25 on the autorefractor), which one do they use? I had an autorefraction done awhile back, but don't remember the results, though I know they varied slightly from my actual "eye chart" prescription (Cycoplegic and regular). Thanks for any input!!

Guest goducks
So after multiple searches, etc. I can't seem to find an answer to this, hopefully someone can help.

So I know at Brooks they will conduct a Cycoplegic exam to determine my refraction, and I've read this is using an eye chart (either on the wall or using an electronic device) and they will see what power lenses get you to 20/20, which gives them my refractive error. That I understand, and have already had done at my Guard unit coming out right at -3.00 on both eyes. My question is about an "autorefractor" or a "keratometer" which, if I'm not mistaken, are devices that automatically determine your prescription by seeing how your eyes focus. Do they use either of these devices? If so, and if the numbers don't match (let's say I'm -3.00 with the Cycoplegic and -3.25 on the autorefractor), which one do they use? I had an autorefraction done awhile back, but don't remember the results, though I know they varied slightly from my actual "eye chart" prescription (Cycoplegic and regular). Thanks for any input!!

Autorefractors (objective "estimate" of refractive error) and autokeratometers (measurement of corneal curvature) are used, but do not determine the final numbers. It is all based on the minimum lens you need to read 20/20.

• 1 month later...
Guest Black Baron

I have a question too. I have not been to Brooks yet but had a FC1 for CSO prior to being bumped. I had to retake my EKG three times for CSO to get a pass. Is this likely to be an issue? Will they let me take it a couple times at Brooks?

Also, I am not scheduled for Brooks until Feb of 2010. Is there anyway to get this moved sooner? I start IFS in March.

Hi TenguFlyer,

At Brooks they will give you an ECG test, Electrocardiogram test. If you happen to fail this or they don't get a good reading, they will give you an ultrasound test. Yes, this is the same machine that is used on women when they are pregnant. I was at Brooks last week, and we had a guy who failed the ECG, they tested him on the Ultrasound (Echocardiogram) and he passed.

Don't worry too much about it, if you've made it this far you're probably going to be good to go. Good luck

Cheers,

BB

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Viper Style 09

I know this isn't something a lot of people freak out over but I have a possible issue I need clarified. I got a pilot slot in the ANG and have been told that I will be going to Brooks with short notice. I read their website and saw that there is going to be a dental exam (thorough)and x-rays. After I graduated college, I got dropped from my medical insurance and have not picked it back up yet. Anyway, I went to the dentist yesterday and got x-rays and an examination. The x-rays were spotless, but the examination went a little different. The dentist told me that I have crevices on the tops of my back teeth that are areas where a cavity will form unless covered. I would have got it fixed (even though I think they are full of SH*T) but would have cost me $1,000 out of pocket. My questions to you guys are:

1. Will I run into trouble for having areas on my chewing surfaces that will eventuallty get cavities?

2. Can I email my packet to Brooks before I even have a date to go?

I know this isn't something a lot of people freak out over but I have a possible issue I need clarified. I got a pilot slot in the ANG and have been told that I will be going to Brooks with short notice. I read their website and saw that there is going to be a dental exam (thorough)and x-rays. After I graduated college, I got dropped from my medical insurance and have not picked it back up yet. Anyway, I went to the dentist yesterday and got x-rays and an examination. The x-rays were spotless, but the examination went a little different. The dentist told me that I have crevices on the tops of my back teeth that are areas where a cavity will form unless covered. I would have got it fixed (even though I think they are full of SH*T) but would have cost me $1,000 out of pocket. My questions to you guys are:

1. Will I run into trouble for having areas on my chewing surfaces that will eventuallty get cavities?

2. Can I email my packet to Brooks before I even have a date to go?

Don't know about your second question. As for the first, they (Brooks) will make you get any cavities filled before they pass you. I know this because I had to pay a lot of money before I was cleared... As for whether they'll make you pay to take care of "crevices where cavities may form unless covered"- I don't know. Sounds like your dentist may be trying to maximize income..... My thought is that Brooks won't have a problem with them. Either way, you don't have to do anything until they tell you to.

Edited by Rolds

Guest Black Baron

I 2nd that Roids.

Wait until Brooks tells you what you need to do. You never know.

Although, I was on the other side of things. I have a dentist and just had an appointment with a cleaning and x-rays. I thought everything was fine...until I was told I had a cavity that busted the root of one of my teeth. Yeah, Root canal. $600 later and I'm good. Would have been about $1600 without dental insurance.

In conjunction with question 2, you can fax or email your packet. I had to email my x-rays and dental procedure after the root canal. You just need to get it done within 2 weeks after you leave Brooks.

Word of advice, United Concordia Dental Insurance (for military only). This is only about $20 a month for a single guy. You'll get x-rays, cleaning free. cavities/fillings are covered at around 60-85% depending on if you get the plain old metal (cheap) or porcelain fillings.

Edited by Black Baron

• 3 months later...
Guest DavisF22

Hello,

Searched and really didn't find anything pertaining to this actual question.Wondering if you guys had the same situation as me. I went to brooks and passed everything. However,when I went to the dentist I was told I had a few cavities.(Idiot dentist at home told me I was all clear cavity free) I know these are disqualifying until fixed. However, my flight doctor gave me the FAA certification for the physical and said I was good to go. I plan on getting this fixed within the next week, is that all there is to it? Just get them fixed?

Thanks for the input

Guest goducks

Hello,

Searched and really didn't find anything pertaining to this actual question.Wondering if you guys had the same situation as me. I went to brooks and passed everything. However,when I went to the dentist I was told I had a few cavities.(Idiot dentist at home told me I was all clear cavity free) I know these are disqualifying until fixed. However, my flight doctor gave me the FAA certification for the physical and said I was good to go. I plan on getting this fixed within the next week, is that all there is to it? Just get them fixed?

Thanks for the input

I would say yes

And likely submit exam records documenting the "fix".

And likely submit exam records documenting the "fix".

I was at brooks recently, and also had a couple cavities. I was told by the dentist that AETC would contact me and let me know what they wanted me to do. However, it's been about 8 weeks since brooks and I still haven't heard anything. I figure i'll just get them fixed and make sure everything is documented so when (if) AETC contacts me, i'll be good to go.

Guest goducks

I was at brooks recently, and also had a couple cavities. I was told by the dentist that AETC would contact me and let me know what they wanted me to do. However, it's been about 8 weeks since brooks and I still haven't heard anything. I figure i'll just get them fixed and make sure everything is documented so when (if) AETC contacts me, i'll be good to go.

I'm not sure what the turn-around time is for FCI physicals right now. I thought it was running 6-8 weeks a while back, but things may have changed a little. In any case, folks at Brooks are instructed to be very careful about telling anyone to go out and get a medical procedure done without first hearing from AETC. There may be some odd cases where AETC decides it's not necessary (probably few and far between). More realistic is the possibility that someone may choose to get some medical treatment (on their dime) ONLY because they were told it was necessary by Brooks. AETC may then review the case and find other DQ'ing factors that aren't waiverable. Now this person has paid for something that they wouldn't have otherwise done on their own and they want to be reimbursed for their expenses. It's actually happened (so I hear).

More than likely, AETC will echo what the dentist told you. Everyone just wants to be careful about overstepping their role in the process, that's all. If you want the cavities fixed, I would see no issue doing it now.

GD

Guest DavisF22

Thanks for all the info. Really helped out. I'll just get them fixed and get a copy of the records. Hopefully this next dentist is better as the dentist at brooks didn't tell me where the cavities were.

• 1 month later...
Guest YoFlyZone

How long is your FC1 good for? Just got done with Brooks and now wondering when I have to do my next physical. Are the next physicals to keep current similar to the Brooks physical? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a complicated situation. A couple of years ago a doctor put me on Zoloft because he thought I had OCD. I took it once and got sick and stopped taking it. Every doctor I've been to since (2) has said that it was a misdiagnosis, etc etc. Well I just got my flight class medical 3 revoked a week before soloing because they thought I was still on the medicine and now have to go through an appeal process. I didn't report having OCD at MEPS because the whole thing was a mistake and I don't have it, but now my FAA records are going to say I did. Will this be a problem when going through the FC1 at Brooks? I don't want them thinking that I lied over the thing at MEPS.

• 1 month later...
Guest Justshootme

Just got back from MFS. Fair warning to those who will be attending. There is a computer-based color vision test that you likely have never seen before. You have to read out increasingly faded letters as they flash on the screen. Don't sweat it when you can't see the last 2-3 letters for each color...apparently that's normal. I was the first to take it in my group and got pretty nervous until everyone in my group walked back into the waiting room saying the same thing.

Guest palmettopilot

I just got Back from Brooks for my FC1 + MFS. Overall it was almost enjoyable, they were not out to get you and the whole process really went smoothly. Doc Owens said the group the week before was the worse group he had ever seen and 2 cadets lost their pilot slots for poor behavior. The exams were no sweat, dont lie about the obvious be aware of what you answer "yes" for and be able to provide detailed medical history. My best advice is use common sense and dont be a dick to the staff and you will be in and out in no time.

I just got Back from Brooks for my FC1 + MFS. Overall it was almost enjoyable, they were not out to get you and the whole process really went smoothly. Doc Owens said the group the week before was the worse group he had ever seen and 2 cadets lost their pilot slots for poor behavior. The exams were no sweat, dont lie about the obvious be aware of what you answer "yes" for and be able to provide detailed medical history. My best advice is use common sense and dont be a dick to the staff and you will be in and out in no time.

Good to hear that you had a good experience. I went back in January and I found the staff to be very nice/friendly overall. My group was mostly ROTC, with a few Guard and civs like myself. Everyone in our group kind of hung out and got to know each other.. I even took a trip to the river walk with some of the fellas I made friends with during my time down there.

Off topic: Go check out Rudy's "Worst BBQ in San Antonio".. On the contrary, possibly the best BBQ I've ever had.

• 1 month later...
Guest columbus2LT

Quick Question- I still have a few cavities left, still in the process of getting them filled. I got a few filled at the dentist here at columbus, but I was TDY at ASBC for a while and they were all booked up by the time I got to trying to schedule an appt with them. Do I need to have all my cavities filled before IFS?? My FC1 that I got at brooks has the stamp on it that says "medically acceptable." Doesn't that mean I'm clear?

But confused on that physical paper. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.