Information on Flying Class 1(FC1)/MFS at Brooks

Guest k181

Guest jwebley

Do they check blood pessure during the MFS? Im curious because I always seem to get the white coat syndrome.

I passed the FC1 and the doctor made no mention of it, but i remember seeing 143 over somthing. I did see a cardiologist that day, but it was related to a little blip on my ekg. With that said should i even worry about it? I do plan on reducing my sodium intake and increasing my aerobic workouts. But it would be a big stress relief to not worry about making it that far and then busting due to high blood pressure.

Is high BP disqualifing for pilots?

I am 6'3" and weigh 155lbs. My body fat is about 13% (i think), my waist is about 30-31 inches.

Thanks

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, blood pressure will not be measured at MFS, but you will be required to have a BP check for each annual physical, and for any time you visit sick call. A one-time BP reading over 140/90 is not disqualifying per se, as a two repeat readings should be taken following a "high" reading - this should eliminate the "white coat" variable. If it still is high, you will be asked to do a 5-day BP check.

Below is the excerpt from AFI 48-123 on high BP and disqualification from flying.

A7.17.1.5. Elevated blood pressure (measured in the sitting position) as follows:

A7.17.1.5.1. In applicants for flying training or initial flying duty, evidenced by average systolic pressure greater than 140 mmHg, or average diastolic pressure of greater than 90 mmHg obtained from the 5-day blood pressure check.

A7.17.1.5.2. History of elevated blood pressure requiring chronic medication for control.

A7.17.1.5.3. In trained flying personnel evidenced by:

A7.17.1.5.3.1. Average systolic blood pressure greater than 140 mmHg or average diastolic

blood pressure greater than 90 mmHg.

NOTE: *Asymptomatic personnel with average systolic blood pressure ranging between 141 mmHg and 160 mmHg, or average diastolic blood pressure ranging between 91 mmHg and 100 mmHg, may remain on flying status for up to 6 months (from the date the elevated blood pressure was first identified) while undergoing non-pharmacological intervention to achieve acceptable values.

A7.17.1.5.3.2. Any elevation in blood pressure due to secondary metabolic or pathologic

causes until the underlying cause has been corrected, provided the primary condition is not

disqualifying.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't count a BP check at MFS out. If anything comes out abnormal, chances are a BP check would be part of the further tests. But don't ask me, I waltzed through MFS. I know guys that were stuck at Brooks for months though, and I'm sure they had a BP check at one point or another.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks - chill out a bit. Whoever told you two weeks was lying. Best case scenario is 6-8 weeks (without any waivers required). You may not realize, but there is only ONE person down at AETC/SG who processes IFC I/IA physicals for all AD, Reserves and Guard, so they are rather busy. They do a kick a$$ job down there, so please don't fly off the handle if your physical takes a while to be approved. They go by first-come, first-served and don't know which board you are applying to. Moral of the story - don't wait until the last minute to get your physical done, don't harass the AETC/SG people and don't worry - my physical took THREE YEARS to be approved. You guys got nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Thriller

Hey guys,

For some reason, while reading through some posts, I was reminded of an experience that I had while at Brooks. Hopefully this will help out some of you who are going to Brooks in the near future...

One of the guys that were in my group ran into a problem with the Flight Doc. I was sitting in the waiting room (after I had completed my testing) when I see a fellow cadet come out with a look on his face that caught my attention. I walked over to him to see what the matter was and he told me that it looks like he might be DQ’d because the Doc (a Major) could not see proper eardrum movement during the Valsalva maneuver (pinching the nose and blowing to clear the ears). I could tell the kid was distraught that he might be loosing his slot.

I started thinking to myself…maybe this guys Valsalva technique was off. A few minutes later, after we were raping up the last few Flight Surgeon visits, I simply suggested to him to try a technique that I have always used when flying. Basically, you simply pinch your nose (just like a Valsalva), except while you are trying to force air out, you swallow very hard.

He tried it once and all of the sudden I saw this huge smile on his face. He politely asked the Flight Surgeon to give him another shot. When he came back from the second attempt, he said the flight surgeon told him that he saw good eardrum movement. HE PASSED!

My only question is why the hell didn't the flight surgeon offer this kid any tips on clearing the ears. This technique isn't new and it is in the books. :confused:

Anyway, this is just a little nugget for you guys to take with you on your trip to Brooks. Hopefully you won’t run into this problem…but if you do, give the technique a try. It just might save your butt from a DQ.

Lets keep looking out for each other and offering any tips to our bros who have not experienced Brooks yet!

Peace,

THRILLER

[ 11. December 2005, 21:18: Message edited by: Thriller ]

Guest doctidy

What kind of AF Med Service could stand up to the scrutiny of DQ-ing applicants for things that don't have direct negative impact on:

- mission completion

- flying safety

- individual health and well-being

I like the Cadets, but you guys know there are all kinds of rumors and innuendos going on in the Zoo...with many revolving around the horror story of being DQ-ed from flying for something ridiculous. Here's another nice story...but no one has ever, nor ever will, get DQ for not being able to clear there ears.

Guest Thriller
Originally posted by Rage_:P:

What kind of AF Med Service could stand up to the scrutiny of DQ-ing applicants for things that don't have direct negative impact on:

- mission completion

- flying safety

- individual health and well-being

I like the Cadets, but you guys know there are all kinds of rumors and innuendos going on in the Zoo...with many revolving around the horror story of being DQ-ed from flying for something ridiculous. Here's another nice story...but no one has ever, nor ever will, get DQ for not being able to clear there ears.

Rage, now you’ve got me curious…

Could you elaborate some on why one can't get DQ'd for not being able to clear one's ears? Wouldn't that be a legit reason if that were the case?

This fellow ROTC cadet was told that the Doc could not see enough movement of the tympanic membrane when he performed the Valsalva. Is there a certain degree of movement that you all look for???

If one couldn't clear his/her ears, wouldn't this pose a threat to "individual health and well being"? Just curious.

Peace,

THRILLER

Guest doctidy

Could you...yes. But I have never seen, and can't imagine seeing, someone who could not clear their ears due to Eustacian Tube Dysfunction (ETD). Acutely...yes...nearly every cold. Chronicly which has resulted in DQ...no, not unless there is some tumor or some other cause. I've seen sinuses problems as a cause...chronic sinusitis...but not ETD.

Remember, some things in the AFI are there because they are disqualifying for acute problems...this is one.

Now watch some ENT doc who stayed in a Holiday Inn Express tell me the exception to the rule!

Guest F16PilotMD

Thriller, there's probably little doubt that your friend would have ended up with an IFC1 "pass". There's also little doubt that (s)he would have lost their mind worrying about it for a few weeks while the process unfolded. Having been there & done that, I can remember the panic, anxiety, fear, etc that goes along with thinking you are "losing" your pilot slot. Good-on-ya for helping and preventing his/her melt-down. Remember that behavior and foster it in your peers at UPT.

Guest Thriller

Rage & F16PilotMD...

Thanks gentlemen for your advice/info on this board. We really appreciate it! Believe it of not, but your all’s advice helped get me and other fellow pilot hopefuls on this board through the stressors of the FC1! Man I’m glad to be done with that thing.

Anyway…back to med stuff,

When you guys are performing regular flight physicals for your aircrew personnel, is there a certain amount/degree of Tympanic M. movement that you look for on Valsalva? Or are you just looking for any movement?

Sorry if this topic seems boring to you, but it's just the Anatomy/Phys side of me taking over.

Peace,

THRILLER

[ 13. December 2005, 20:18: Message edited by: Thriller ]

Guest doctidy

If I don't see movement, I:

1 - ask the aircrew member, "I didn't see it move, did you feel it pop?" If they say yes, I mark normal.

2 - take into account that it sometimes moves very little on the second ear...because they already filled it up w/ a bunch of air when the cleared their first ear.

As for the assistance on this forum...there are some great docs at USAFA who are more on the spot to answer your questions. Consider suggesting to Col Benjamin a similar non-attributional open forum or e-mail to keep the rumors down!

Guest F16PilotMD

Ditto on the exam. I am a little more conservative with younger aviators and students. In general, younger folks are less forth-coming with issues, etc...they can't imagine coming off the schedule, whether their ears clear or not. The more experienced guys have realized that the next sortie isn't that big of a deal vs. their health. This is by NO means ABSOLUTE...but typically pretty close. Definitely was in my youth.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chillout7655

Quick question...

If someone was selected for the Active Duty UPT board in January, would the Brooks portion of the MFS encompass the same tests as the FC1 they completed to qualify for the board? Or is it just the tests listed on this site:

http://www.brooks.af.mil/web/fec/master.html

There is some confusion I think since it looks like AFROTC and OTS candidates utilize Brooks for both tests. I dread looking into that depth perception test again!

Guest Thriller

Chillout,

I'm ROTC, so MFS and the FC1 are mixed together over the course of two days (after we received our slots). However, the class before us FY05 ROTC guys had their FC1 completed prior to the board.

As for your question, I can tell you (from speaking with some of my FY04 buds) MFS is much less stressful than the FC1.

Basically, if you passed the FC1 with no problems…I wouldn’t sweat the MFS. The main 2 things they will test are your anthropometrics and give you an ECG. Basically, if you know you have no heart issues and your measurements are good…then you should be gold.

Everything else is just a review of things you already passed on the FC1.

Best of luck and see you in the Blue bro!

Peace,

THRILLER

[ 30. December 2005, 04:59: Message edited by: Thriller ]

• 5 months later...

I was a little confused and concerned as to what exactly happens at Military Flight Screening for active duty/ANG. I just got back and I wanted to provide some info of exactly what to expect. Obviously, I can't talk about how to do the exact tests, but hopefully this will help with regards to how the process works. The Brooks website goes into some detail but here is some first hand experience if interested.

Here's how it went...

First, when you fly into San Antonio, go over to the USO in the terminal. they will call a Fiesta shuttle for you that is $25 to brooks opposed to a $40 taxi ride. In addition, you may be able to meet some people going to brooks with you. Fiesta will bring you straight to billeting where you will get a room assigned to you. Most people seem to stay on base, but there is non-availability. If you can get off-base hotels you may be better off because there are restaurants outside such as BDub's and a Chili's. There is no food on base unless you walk a mile to the chow hall. The O'club no longer serves food so we ended up walking about a mile to Chilis. In the morning, you have to be outside lodging at 0645 for a bus to bring you over to the clinic. If you are staying at a hotel off-base, a shuttle will pick you up there also (see Brooks site for times). Once you arrive, you are placed in a waiting room with the rest of the people you are there with (we had a large group with about 14). The person in charge of MFS will come talk to you about what to expect. He said that 2-4% of people going through MFS will be DQ's but 95% of all stuff they find is waiverable. He also mentioned how important it is to not talk about the actual tests with each other. They make you fill out some paperwork and also collect a copy of your flight physical with the stamped "FC1A approved pending MFS". As of now, you don't have to bring your whole medical records. They then conduct height measurements to make sure you fit in the cockpit (i.e. height, knee to butt length, sitting height). They also collect $7 if you want pizza for lunch After the admin stuff, they bring you down to do the psychological testing on computers. It is not disqualifying, but serves as a benchmark for the future in case you receive a head injury. They can then test you and compare your pre-injury mental state with your mental state after injury. They can then determing your physical status and how long until you can fly again if ever. All these tests last till about 1130 or 1200. After this, you return to the waiting room and eat lunch. Right after lunch, they bring a few at a time back to get an echocardiogram done. This is where they take a video of your heart to make sure all your valves work and that the blood flows properly. It is pretty crazy to see your heart like that. After that, you go back to the waiting room and wait for a few more tests to include corneal topography , color vision test, and red lens test. The corneal topography makes sure you have a smooth cornea and that you did not lie about having PRK. The red lens test makes sure that your eyes work together and that there are not any depth perception issues. Finally, the color vision test is pretty self-explanatory. The color vision test is not too bad but it is more thorough than the FC1 exam. If all goes well, that is all the tests they do (no blood pressure, no depth perception, no vision checks,no blood work, etc.. Actually, you never see a doctor unless there is a problem). They then give you a sheet saying that you passed MFS! Most people get out of there by 1530.

Now, with that said, if you had PRK, plan to have to stay longer and probably come back a second day for a more thorough eye exam. The optometrist will have to take a look at you more closely. In addition, if there are any blemishes on your FC1, they will look at you more closely. For example, on my FC1, I had an issue with a test, so I had to come back the next day for a depth perception exam. If at all possible, make sure your physical is accurate and complete before your base sends it to AETC. If there are any blemishes, they will dig some at MFS and you want to avoid that if at all possible. Out of our group of 14, I believe 5 had to come back for some kind of further testing.

As for the staff, I would characterize them as moderately friendly. To their credit, they have a tough job having to test a bunch of agitated future flyers worried about being DQ'd. Don't expect much feedback from them (no news is good news). Actually, you are not even allowed to ask how you are doing. At the end of the day, if you get a sheet then that means you passed everything. They are good about informing you, however, if they noticed an issue, but they won't tell you during the test. They will approach you later in the day and tell you what further tests need to be done, if any. Realize, if something comes up on a test, they won't just kick you out the door with a DQ. They will conduct extensive tests to determine your qual status. It just becomes a pain in the ass because that is where the digging starts and the chances increase that they will find something.

Overall, there is not a whole lot to worry about because the MFS physical is not very extensive. They are not trying to eliminate you from flying. If something comes up at Brooks or on your FC1 paperwork, however, they will conduct further tests which I would be lying if I said they were fun. According to their stats, though, all turns out well for at least 96% of the people that come through. Pretty good odds if you ask me...let me know if you have any questions.

-spaw

Guest Robes

Agreed-

Also, depending on your meal status attempt to get a missed meal letter stating that mess was not obtainable due to schedule and distance from mess. Also, pray that some astronaut is not coming in. They had all the call backs wait another day while the space boy was there.

• 1 year later...
Guest LakenheathSpouse

I am a civilian/dependent applying to the 0803 Rated Board. My question pertains to the initial flight physical.

We are in the UK at so I am getting my IFC1 at Flight Med at Lakenheath. I have been reading all the topics on the IFC1 and am confused about the MFS posts. When I complete my IFC1 here and approved, is it sent to AETC for approval, thus foregoing the MFS if I get selected? (And I'm not really clear what MFS is, so if I don't make sense I apologize)

Basically, if I am approved here at Flight Med and then it is sent for approval to AETC, then if I get selected for the Board do I go through another Medical screening?

Any guidance is appreciated.

I am a civilian/dependent applying to the 0803 Rated Board. My question pertains to the initial flight physical.

We are in the UK at so I am getting my IFC1 at Flight Med at Lakenheath. I have been reading all the topics on the IFC1 and am confused about the MFS posts. When I complete my IFC1 here and approved, is it sent to AETC for approval, thus foregoing the MFS if I get selected? (And I'm not really clear what MFS is, so if I don't make sense I apologize)

Basically, if I am approved here at Flight Med and then it is sent for approval to AETC, then if I get selected for the Board do I go through another Medical screening?

Any guidance is appreciated.

They are two different animals...MFS is the second part.

MFS is only accomplished at Brooks and it is focused on Neuro psych, anthros, color vision, red lens, and corneal topography.

Your IFC will say "certified contingent upon passing MFS."

• 9 months later...

In the next week or two...I'm going to work with my friends at Brooks to gather and post as much information that will help many of you get through the examination process easier and more efficiently...I plan on informing the "Me now...Me first" generation just how lucky they are should they have an opportunity to get their entire process done down in good ole San Antonio! I will include history, websites, AFI references and issues that prolong the process.

I will also trying and keep you informed of changes that are likely to happen in 2010 when the program begins the process of moving to WPAFB.

If there is other information that any of you want to know (and I can answer) please feel free to ask...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest P27:17

First let me start by saying the process at Brooks is unprecedented...the closest process to it is at the AFA (they have 4 years and a captive "audience" to process their exams) Brooks gets theirs to HQ AETC for review and certification generally under 30 days from the start date. There are 2 distinct exam processes at Brooks and a third/possible fourth in the works...the 2 that specifically deal with pilots are the Medical Flight Screening (MFS) and the Initial Flying Class I programs (FCI). They can be confusing so let me see if I can clear the fog...

- MFS: The MFS process is the last medical gate prior to going to SUPT. It focuses on the standing, sitting, buttocks to knee measurements, 4 hours of neuropsych testing, and getting a corneal topography, red lens, and several color vision tests. If all goes well you are released at the end of the day with an MFS 600 that is to be given at the SUPT base as proof of completion. The individuals who go through this process have already had a FCI at a Medical Treatment Facility and it has been certified by AETC with the remarks "pending successful completion of MFS" on the certification stamp on the SF 88 or DD 2808.

These exams are done on Weds only and start at 0700 (for more info look at the website). The MFS exam is NOT geared to reaccomplish the FCI, it is a supplemental to complete it. That being said...if a DQ issue is found or a known DQ issue (previously waived by AETC) has changed then Brooks will fully evaluate and submit the waiver recommendations to AETC.

All PRK/LASIK (CRS) cases will spend at least one extra day for more testing...

If the candidate is enroute to SUPT they will be held until a decision is given from AETC. If the waiver is denied by AETC then:

- If Active Duty, AFPC is notified and the candidate is usually reassigned to Brooks pending reclassification

- ANG and AFRC candidates are usually sent back to their units for disposition

- FCI: The IFC program began in 2003 with a Beta Test on 133 AFROTC cadets (June through Aug)...it was set up to see if the FCI and the MFS could be combined thereby shortening the exam process (over six months for the FCIs done at local MTFs), standardizing the examination process (one place instead of 75+) offering more consistency, and all but eliminating the 12 per year average of last minute MFS DQs resulting in an unfilled $1M training seat each. The Beta Test went well, AF funded it, and in Apr of 2004 Brooks began seeing all AFROTC FCI examinations (approximately 550+ per year). The AFRC was added in 2005, the ANG was added in 2008, and the Active Duty have yet to want to participate.

If you are selected to go to Brooks for a FCI exam here's what to expect...

- Arrive on Sunday

- Show up at 0700 or 1030 Monday morning (depending on if you are in Group 1 or Group 2) in a fasting state (see website). Go through a full day of evaluations.

- Show up on Tuesday morning at 0700 for another full day of evaluations. PRK/LASIK candidates will receive an additional day of testing.

- Most of Group 1 will be released to go home at COB Tuesday (must not leave San Antonio any earlier that 1200 noon on Weds.) Group 2 will come back to complete the optometry portion and be released in the early afternoon.

- If a questionable or disqualifying defect is found it will be thoroughly worked (through Friday if necessary) in order to give AETC the most complete exam possible in order to make a certification decision.

The FCI exam includes the MFS evaluations and a Class III FAA exam. Notification of a decision usually takes less than 3 months. The notification will be:

- Medically Acceptable

- Medically Disqualified but Acceptable with waiver for____

- Medically Disqualified waiver not granted

- Need more information, evaluations, or tests to make a decision

If you are selected to go through Brooks for a MFS or FCI exam...it is imperative that you go to the website and complete/forward the information in a timely manner: These are issues that will delay/cancel your appointment...

- MFS/FCI CRS candidates must send all pre and post op medical records to Brooks 30 days prior to the appointment!

- Information from the website must be received NLT 2 weeks prior to exam date!

- As stated on the website...contacts MUST be out 30 days prior (soft) and 90 days (hard) prior to the exam!

- You may be asked to submit more information, records, or have a history issue that is identified in the webpage questionnaires...those should be completed and returned ASAP!

I think I've covered most, if not all, of the questions about Brooks and what to expect.

For AFI 48-123, CRS Policy, and ETPS use the search function...they have been posted before.

Here are the websites: Be sure you are on the one the correlates to your exam!

IFC 1/MFS website: https://kx.afms.mil/IFC1-MFS <https://kx.afms.mil/IFC1-MFS>

or

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/IFC1-MFS <http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/IFC1-MFS>

Hope this helps...and Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Just got an e-mail yesterday scheduling for the end of March...Just in time to miss the March AFRC Board! I sent my MEPS in several weeks ago after they dragged ass scheduling/clearing my commissioning physical. Evidently Brooks only takes 2 reserve guys a week...freaking joke. I'm glad all the non-time-critical ROTC dudes take up so much time down there.

Sorry for sounding "Me first, me now" P27, but this freaking sucks. Maybe you can shed some light on why we are fortunate to go to Brooks rather than get the FC-1 at our sponsoring unit? I know I would rest easier if there was some explanation...

I'm not sure why you can't get into Brooks sooner...AFRC does the scheduling and I think there is an opportunity to occasionally overbook since they've gone to 2 groups. I would contact HQ AFRC and find out why...the only limitations that I know of at Brooks is their ability to see X amount of PRKs each Monday and they have a UAS Beta Test Mid-March...unless you are a PRK/LASIK there really isn't any reason for you not to be seen much sooner.

As to the second part of your post...for the majority of folks the Brooks process is much quicker, effecient, and complete when you compare it to the local MTFs. I also believe there was a Policy Letter written by the previous AFRC/SG forbidding MTFs to do FC I exams...very short sighted IMO...but still in place as far as I know. There are many limiting factors at local MTFs not to exclude EXPERIENCE when it comes to these and other flying exams...often it's very difficult to get in or get an appointment in the "near future" and if you do go, you need to pray that all specialties are available that day and that they don't forget to do something or you have an abnormal finding that you need to ping-pong back and forth over...after they find it a couple weeks down the road because it sat idle.

Other than that...MTFs are fine....

Bottom-line: It could take up to 6 months or more to go through the MTF...then you still have to go to Brooks for the MFS piece and get the FAA on your own dime.

At Brooks, you get the whole deal when you take the FCI and you will know the results (most of the time) in well under 3 months.

Get a hold of HQ AFRC and try again...if not call Mr. Nagle at Brooks (210) 536-4185...

I'm not sure why you can't get into Brooks sooner...AFRC does the scheduling and I think there is an opportunity to occasionally overbook since they've gone to 2 groups. I would contact HQ AFRC and find out why...the only limitations that I know of at Brooks is their ability to see X amount of PRKs each Monday and they have a UAS Beta Test Mid-March...unless you are a PRK/LASIK there really isn't any reason for you not to be seen much sooner.

As to the second part of your post...for the majority of folks the Brooks process is much quicker, effecient, and complete when you compare it to the local MTFs. I also believe there was a Policy Letter written by the previous AFRC/SG forbidding MTFs to do FC I exams...very short sighted IMO...but still in place as far as I know. There are many limiting factors at local MTFs not to exclude EXPERIENCE when it comes to these and other flying exams...often it's very difficult to get in or get an appointment in the "near future" and if you do go, you need to pray that all specialties are available that day and that they don't forget to do something or you have an abnormal finding that you need to ping-pong back and forth over...after they find it a couple weeks down the road because it sat idle.

Other than that...MTFs are fine....

Bottom-line: It could take up to 6 months or more to go through the MTF...then you still have to go to Brooks for the MFS piece and get the FAA on your own dime.

At Brooks, you get the whole deal when you take the FCI and you will know the results (most of the time) in well under 3 months.

I was selected on the OTS board last October and go to Sheppard next week for my iFC1 - my recruiter said he was unable to get ahold of anyone at Brooks to schedule me there. Is there any way to stay on top of the guys at the MTF there to "keep on them" about getting the physical routed through the proper channels to get it certified quickly? Just curious if you've had any experience dealing with random bases that do FC1's and their process(es) as compared to Brooks...

Thanks!

I was selected on the OTS board last October and go to Sheppard next week for my iFC1 - my recruiter said he was unable to get ahold of anyone at Brooks to schedule me there. Is there any way to stay on top of the guys at the MTF there to "keep on them" about getting the physical routed through the proper channels to get it certified quickly? Just curious if you've had any experience dealing with random bases that do FC1's and their process(es) as compared to Brooks...

AFPC and Recruiting Services have not wanted to get into the program at Brooks so they still send their examinees to local bases.

If you are Reserve you should go through Brooks...there is no comparison between what Brooks offers/does and the base MTFs