Information on Flying Class 1(FC1)/MFS at Brooks

Guest k181

MOD NOTE

This is a merge of all the topics dealing with Medical Flight Screening (MFS), consisting of multiple threads discussing MFS information and prcedures. The Baseops merge feature had issues merging topics posted prior to the Baseops conversion, so the first page and a half of dates are not chronological but the original topics are consolidated.

This thread is only for issues that are handles at Brooks during MFS and those procedures. It is not for general questions on those symptoms. For example, "How do they check for blood pressure at MFS?" is fine. "What happens if I have high blood pressure in the AF?" goes elsewhere.

Below are links to other threads for reference.

Blood pressure

Waivers

Vision

LASIK

PRK

Edited by Toro

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm scheduled to for my MFS/FC1 at Brooks form August 15th through the 18th. In anyones experiance with the whole process does the process run according to the dates on your orders or if something bad happens can you be held up much longer than anticipated.

I'm trying to get married this summer and the only weekend that really works is 21 August. I'm suppose to return from brooks on the 18th which gives me 3 days untill the wedding. If something happens and i miss my own wedding i'll be fighting brooks for a waiver for castration.

Any thoughts on that?

Can Brooks run longer?? Yes

For example, if you fail anything at Brooks, they keep you there. That is according to TSgt Gillette the NCOIC. You stay there until you get another career field. She mentioned one Lt who has been there for 9 months now.

Now barring you don't fail, if you need extra tests it depends. Most of the extra tests wouldn't run more than a day.

If you have had PRK you will definitely be there three-four days.

The dates listed on your orders should provide a RNLTD... the date of your testing (billeting reservations are made for the day before) and then the next day you can leave after 1200.

Out of my class we had one guy who was still in testing when we all found out we passed.

I still don't know the fate of that guy.

You can stay there, but most people dont. I only did MFS there, but the ROTC kids there at the time got done early, hell, we got done early as well. You shouldnt worry about having problems there, but anything can happen, so plan accordingly. That date would cut it close.

• 2 months later...

A question toward the end of the FC1/MFS Pre-examination report of medical history asks if "you have ever been a patient in a hospital". It tells you to state when, why, what doctor, and what hospital. I was an out-patient in a hospital when I was 7 years old, and the only info I have on it is the date and doctors name. I have no idea what hospital it was at. The hospital visit was for stomach discomfort that was found to be nothing serious at all.

My question is if I was an "out-patient", does this still have to be listed?

This kind of thing has been the source for lenghty discussion. My advice is to not list it. I made the mistake of being completely honest on my form and I wound up dealing with DoDMERB for 2 months. If something had been wrong, then its another story, but "stomach discomfort," they can live without that. Hell I have stomach discomfort right now but I'm sure the AF could care less.

Guest Youngnita

If I remember correctly the question didn't ask about the outcome. Check with the medical squadron about this. Regardless of your decision you alone are the one who will have to own up if it ever comes down to it...not anyone who posts with advice. Good luck.

• 4 months later...
Guest emilyjoyau

Just curious what the difference is between the MFS and FC1 physicals and wondering which one is the Brooks one...which I did this summer. I heard there was another physical done right before you start UPT? If so, what does it entail...kind of the same as brooks, i.e. blood tests, EKG, eye tests, etc? or is it less in depth...thanks for the help. Ill be going to Moody in a few weeks, for IFT and UPT if anyone out there is doing the same...let me know! WAR EAGLE!!!

Guest rumblefish_2

ROLL TIDE!!! Just kidding...The FC1 is more extensive than MFS (which is what is at Brooks) but I would say that the MFS is more in-depth/specific. I'm sure there are different ways to do it, but I had my FC1 done before I went to Brooks and it took FOREVER to get completed and signed off. MFS took one day (for me) and I assume the results were added to my medical files. Someone may have a different opinion, but it seems the FC1 evaluates your general health for pilot qual, and the MFS augments that.

Brooks took one day and after all the hype that I had heard, I actually thought it was rather lame. They didn't do anything that wasn't already done to me except for the cardiogram (or what ever it was) and the psych test. over all not much to worry about.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest f16guard

Here's the deal. I went to Brooks, missed one number in all the CV (Color Vision) plates. They immediately re-tested and I got them all correct. They had me come back the next day because I missed one number on the original exam. (why they had me take it again is beyond me if they were going to have me come back anyway)

The next day, I did some further testing. I had some questions about one of the tests and the administrator did not answer my questions. I think I did the test wrong, and it happens to be the one test the Doc made his recommendation on.

I have talked with my Squadron, they talked with Brooks and Brooks says that it is un-waiverable. I'm not necessarily looking for a waiver because I think I have good CV (as the plate results show). My question is: What next?? What can I do or who can I talk to about my concerns with the particular test. I just don't understand, I answered all the numbers correctly as outlined on the Brooks website, but was DQ'd on a test that I think was given incorrectly or incorrectly understood.

The CV plates at Brooks are "harder" than any I'd seen before. I know of a couple guys, including myself, that were going through them too quickly and had to be stopped to look at one or two a little closer. I could definately see how a slight form of rare colorblindness could trip someone up there.

A lot of people who get DQ'ed at Brooks for CV never even knew they were weak, let alone deficient in color vision. Like Dennis said, the tests are "different" from the standard CV tests they give at the FC1. If you have good CV, you have nothing to worry about, of course. Just take your time.

Don't concern yourself over it. The worst thing you can do is be stressed out there because that will trip you up quickly if you don't have any colorblindness. If you are colorblind, don't worry, they'll let you know right away. It might seem like they're telling you absolutely nothing while you're there -- but from what I understand if they're saying nothing that's a good thing.

Except the heart ultrasound.. apparently you have to wait on those results for a bit. So whatever happens during that test means nothing until a doctor looks at the results later.

Guest doctidy

I don't usually monitor this...but here's your answer:

DISCUSSION

The directive

– all pilots will have a one time re-test for color vision using two booklets of color vision plates

- The change –

-- previous test was given only on physical prior to UPT (aircrew are not tested again for color vision)

-- previous test was the PIP 1 (the color plates with the numbers). These were designed to detect congenital color deficiencies (those since birth)

-- added is a test for acquired color deficiency (developed during life). Test is known as the PIP 2

- The driver - The color vision requirement for UPT has been challenged several times through the Exception to Policy (ETP) process. The ETP applicants frequently cite that the Air Force has many trained pilots with color deficiency (previously failed the PIP I but passed the FALANT). After several of these color vision ETP’s in 2003, the USAF/CV requested more information about the color vision status of our trained pilots. Specifically: how many current pilots have abnormal color vision and how severe is their color vision?

- Aircrew disposition –

-- All pilots found to have color vision deficiency will be granted a waiver based on demonstrated ability in the aircraft unless there's a specific "safety of flight" concern. An example would be a severe, congenital red-green color blindness.

-- Pilots previously evaluated who have a color vision deficiency waiver will still undergo the PIP 1 or PIP 2 tests to ensure inclusion of their data but will not need to go the Aeromedical Consult Service

- How have people been “missed”?

-- previously accepted individuals passing a test called the FALANT lantern. These individuals have moderate, congenital red-green color deficiency

-- some aircrew pass the PIP 1 by memorizing the order as well as clues on the plates themselves when presented out of order

SUMMARY

Color is being increasingly used in and out of the aircraft to enhance aircrew effectiveness. Increasing our understanding of current pilot physiologic attributes will further this capability.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I really need some help/info from anyone willing and able. I just took my IFC-1/MFS at Brooks on Monday and Tuesday of this week (11-12 Apr), and the Flight Doc told me that absolutely everything was perfect except my Blood Pressure...so wouldn't you know it, I had to take it a few more times and now I'm all worried about the results.

Here are some of my results that they told me:

Echo: Normal (no enlargement of the heart walls)

EKG: Normal

Heart Rate: Normal (68 sitting, 70 standing, 112 after excersize, 80 after excersize)

Cholesteral: 151 (Bad:99, Good:52)

My BP the first three times were: 140/80 (sitting), 144/82 (standing), and 140/90 (lying down). They made me take it three more times, and the values were 130/80, 140/90, and 130/90.

What does all this stuff about my BP really mean with my medical? Is this going to deny me flying status? What's next with the whole process? If anyone out there has any info/advice/insight, I'd really appreciate any information that you could offer. Thanks in advance.

-RAW

Guest F16PilotMD

Relax. Your BP is boarderline and it's likely because you were nervous. You will probably be fine. Many, many pilots have gone through this. Most get a five-day BP check--they take you bp for 5 consecutive days and average. Typically, you get used to the process and your bp goes down to your "normal". Relax.

Guest shawn.cavanaugh

I actually went through the same thing about a month ago. I was going through an IFC 3 and everything was fine except my BP was up to something about 163/98 standing, and about the same for sitting and recumbent. I had to go for the five day check and they checked my BP manually. It checked out to be around 110/60 all five days and everything turned out ok, got cleared good to go. I don't know what caused my BP to be up, maybe nerves i guess. The med-tech's and doc suggested that some supplements may have caused it to be up. Also they checked it with a machine so maybe that had something to do with it. On the 5 day check they used the cuff that they pump up by hand, a sphygmometer I think. Anyways I was in the same boat and just went in for the checks as relaxed as possible. Hope everything works out for you.

F16PilotMD,

First I'd like to say that I've seen you post a lot of info on this website, and you've offer a HUGE service for guys like me who've been wanting to be a pilot since we were 3! Anyway, I just wanted to know what happens if I take the 5 BP tests in 5 days thing and it's still failing? What are the chances for someone getting a waiver who hasn't actually entered the pipeline yet? And what are the chances of medication helping? Thanks for any additional info you can offer!

-RAW

Guest F16PilotMD

I would say it would be tough to get a waiver for high blood pressure. In general, that's an indicator of bad things to come in the future, so not likely that the USAF would want to invest in you. That being said, I HIGHLY DOUBT you are actually hypertensive. Your numbers are boarderline and it's very, very rare at your age. Try not to stress over it too much. Do what you can to relax when they take it. Again, this is very common and many pilots went through this when at your stage...me included.

• 5 months later...
Guest SkoolBusVMI04

Dudes pass the FC1 then get cut at MFS, unfortunately. Brooks publishes a 2% failure rate, but it varies from group to group. Everyone in my group of six passed, where as the folks who tested the week before us had 5 of 7 fail. It's something you can't get ready for or change your fate, so relax as best you can and drive on. The staff at Brooks will do all they can to help you out, but some areas they test are not waiverable.

OD, I head out to Columbus with a 30 or 31 JAN start date. When is your active duty board? Let me know how that turns out & keep me posted if you're interested in the ANG.