Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK, vision)

Guest gixer

Guest goducks
Alright, here's my situation: I'm 19 and a freshman in college right now, with prescriptions of -2.50 in my left eye and -2.75 in my right.

Question 1: Should I bother with PRK in the first place? I don't have any astigmatism, so -2.50 and -2.75 are within waiver range, but my acuity is 20/200 in each eye which is rather close for comfort, and I'd be afraid of either getting worse after whatever the PRK deadline is. Of course, if at all possible I'd rather put the $5000 I've got stashed under my mattress toward some flight hours. Anyway, are there any guesses to how much wiggle-room I've got in the diopter without changing my acuity? Say if my right bumps up to -3.00, should it stay 20/200? And even if it does, would I just have a better shot at a waiver with PRK than some borderline waiver-able myopia?

Question 2: What's the latest I can get PRK and still be eligible for a pilot slot? My eyes haven't changed in about a year, so I think they're done changing, but I'd like to wait as long as possible so if they do change it happens before PRK. From what I can tell, in order to be Potential Pilot Qualified, meaning -1.50 or less in both eyes, I need to have my DODMERB physical updated with my post-op results by Nov of my AS300 year. Is this completely independent of FC I waiver requirements? In other words, do I need to the PRK a year before Nov of my AS300 year in order to get a PRK waiver? I've also heard I only need to wait 3 months to apply for pilot slot after PRK, so long a full year has passed between PRK and the actual FC I. In that case I guess I could wait until July/August of my junior year to get PRK, but that would depended on the latest I could take my FC I (assuming I get a pilot slot. I don't think I'd have to get a FC I until I actually land the slot anyway).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comic,

You've got a good handle on the situation and sounds like you fully understand the trade-offs. Here's my two cents. Waiverability is really based on the refractive error. Yes, 20/200 is the acuity limit, but if you're no worse than -3.00 D then you'll be able to at least eek out the 20/200 line most likely. The way the AF does the cyclo acuity will probably buy you about a half of a diopter. So, if your Rx was exactly -3.00, they'd probably measure you at -2.50. This is a rule of thumb, not a guarantee, but that's how it usually works. As far as waivers go, your chances of being DQ'd strictly due to a PRK problem are low, although not zero. Your chances of being waivered if your FCI cyclo refractive error is measured above -3.00 D are not good. Probably ain't gonna happen

I don't have a good handle on the whole time line. You are correct about the year wait prior to evaluation at Brooks and, yes, you can start the application process at 3 months after surgery. I also don't know a lot about DODMERB physicals, but I don't see why you'd need to worry about the -1.50 at that point. I would believe the -1.50 is only an issue with the FCI physical. I think you can wait a year or two before worrying about it. Please check around on this issues, but that's my understanding. Surely someone in your detachment has had some experience with refractive surgery. If not, have them put you in contact with a large detachment that has (Embry Riddle kicks out tons of them).

GD

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Whiplash

Does having PRK done disqualify a person from flying a specific type of aircraft (mainly high altitude aircraft such as fighters and bombers)?

Does having PRK done disqualify a person from flying a specific type of aircraft (mainly high altitude aircraft such as fighters and bombers)?

No, you'll have a get a waiver when you get your Flying Class 1 physical but it won't affect what aircraft you are "qualified" for.

Guest goducks

No, you'll have a get a waiver when you get your Flying Class 1 physical but it won't affect what aircraft you are "qualified" for.

FWIW, nor does LASIK.

Guest kfmfly

I have a question along these lines. I am 21 years old and have just been selected for OTS as a Weather Officer. Although I applied for a weather officer during the last board, my ultimate goal is to get a pilot slot. My vision is what held me back from applying for the pilot slot orginally. I have 20/525 and 20/500 in my right and left eye, respectively, thus needing surgery. How long should it take from graduation of OTS to the first possiblity of applying for PRK? Do many officers get the procedure if they select to have it or is it difficult to get and have a long waiting list? Also can you apply to the AD board before the full year after surgery is complete? Thanks for all the help!

Guest goducks
I have a question along these lines. I am 21 years old and have just been selected for OTS as a Weather Officer. Although I applied for a weather officer during the last board, my ultimate goal is to get a pilot slot. My vision is what held me back from applying for the pilot slot orginally. I have 20/525 and 20/500 in my right and left eye, respectively, thus needing surgery. How long should it take from graduation of OTS to the first possiblity of applying for PRK? Do many officers get the procedure if they select to have it or is it difficult to get and have a long waiting list? Also can you apply to the AD board before the full year after surgery is complete? Thanks for all the help!

I don't know when your training committment will allow PRK or LASIK, but as a non-flyer (I'm assuming you wouldn't be considered a flyer as a weather officer, right?) you can pursue CRS through either the military or via a private doctor on your own dollar. Regardless of which you select, you must go through the process of applying to the warfighter program prior to receiving treatment. This is to ensure that your commander is aware, and approves you having treatment. It also provides a bit of insurance that the treatment is in your best interest from a medical perspective. The link to the warfighter program is:

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/group...name=CTB_083799

If you do decide to go to a military surgery center the wait time is dependent on the center you choose, but has generally run anywhere from no wait time to several months. I wouldn't consider it to be difficult to accomplish the surgery assuming you have a commander that supports your decision.

GD

• 5 months later...

I'm an AS300 in AFROTC and have an appointment set up to have PRK on 8 October. I've talked to the NCOs at my Det but haven't gotten a really straight answer about whether it's possible for me to have the surgery this late in the game. I keep seeing something about a 3 month period before you can apply for a waiver. Since I'm having the surgery in October, the earliest I'll be able to submit for the waiver is 8 January. Is that too late? Also, is there anything I need to be doing right now (paperwork, etc.) before having my surgery? I'm trying to get a straight answer from someone who's had surgery as an AS300, or someone who knows the regulations, seeing as most people have it done their AS100 or AS200 year. Thanks.

Dan

I'm an AS300 in AFROTC and have an appointment set up to have PRK on 8 October. I've talked to the NCOs at my Det but haven't gotten a really straight answer about whether it's possible for me to have the surgery this late in the game. I keep seeing something about a 3 month period before you can apply for a waiver. Since I'm having the surgery in October, the earliest I'll be able to submit for the waiver is 8 January. Is that too late? Also, is there anything I need to be doing right now (paperwork, etc.) before having my surgery? I'm trying to get a straight answer from someone who's had surgery as an AS300, or someone who knows the regulations, seeing as most people have it done their AS100 or AS200 year. Thanks.

Dan

I had PRK surgery as an AS300, and have a reference attached. On page 9 it states,

"We will allow Cadets (contracted) on MRS that has had Corneal Refractive Surgery to be

submitted for categorization at the 3-month point with clearance from the treating

Ophthalmologist. Review by this office is mandatory"

As it states, you can be submitted for categorization after 3 months. There is a checklist in the guide that must be completed, and when you get to the 3 month point I believe the data is input into wings so you can be potentially pilot qualified (requisite for categorization). It's important to note that you must first be contracted before you undergo corrective eye surgery. If you are non-contracted at the time of surgery, you will be disqualified for 6 months.

Don't go out and get PRK on your own though make sure your cadre's involved, I just added the guide as a reference.

ROTC Cadet Medical Processing Procedures Guide Rev 3.pdf

Guest goducks

Looking through some of the posts i haven't seen a clear answer on this, i know that the vision is 20/70 for Air Force, what will/do they waiver it up to? Im about 20/70 in my right eye 20/40 in my left.

Thanks

You're fine. Might need a waiver, but that's routine.

GD

• 3 weeks later...

Cross post from the other LASIK thread....

Just an update for everyone on this subject. The Pre-Surgery Hyperopia (Farsightedness) limits have been up'd as of Oct 2009 from

Less than or equal to +0.50

to

Less than or equal to +3.00

Not sure if this has been posted yet. This information is available from the Oct2009 Waiver Guide which I have attached.

Also - here's a great statistic from the new Waiver Guide:

"AIMWTS review in Sep 2009 revealed 1712 total cases with a waiver disposition.

There were 412 FC I/IA cases, 687 FC II cases and 612 FC III cases and one case labeled “UAS”.

Within the FC I/IA group, 163 later had a disposition for FC II which is not reflected in the FC II total above.

There were a total of 80 disqualifications; 25 were FC I/IA, 20 were FC II, and there were 35 in the FC III category.

There was also one FC I case that was granted an ETP.

Within the population of those disqualified, about 60% were for vision-related problems, excessive presurgical refractive error, or side effects from the procedure such as haze, and the remainder were disqualified for other medical conditions or administrative issues."