Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK, vision)

Guest gixer

Guest rtstolwo
Hey rtstolwo,

I know i had cited the current crs policy in the sticky thread but i don't see anything about the 3 month policy that you speak of. I know i had read some where a while back that you could begin the waiver process between 3 and 6 months if you vision had stabilized with less thana 0.50 shift in diopters between checks or something to that affect. I understand this time frame is to begin the actual waiver process, though i have no idea where it shows up in any of the AF CRS policies or memos. Do you know if you have to wait for the 3 to 6 months post op until you actually apply to OTS, or can you apply before that? I only ask because i probably won't be able to get the time off of work i need until august but the next board is in october... so would i be able to apply to this board of have to wait until the rated 0803 board, which i believe is next May? Also, you mentioned you had PRK done this past winter... what type of documentation, policies or checklists did you give to your surgeon when you had the PRK performed? Even though i am a civilian, i was wondering if it was possible to get the official checklist that the AF wants filled out for the preop and postop evaluations? Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your surgery end up costing (i know it varies and i am expecting it to cost atleast $4000 or so)?

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/group.../ctb_071176.pdf

In this memo, exactly 27 lines from the top, paragraph 5.1, it states that "JSUPT applicants may apply for a FC1 waiver as earlier as 3 months post op".

Now, nobody really knows any of this stuff...not even the doctors at my initial physical. They were saying that they thought I had to be 6 months post op, but they weren't sure. Now, I didn't have to test it out because by shear coincidence, I was 6 months and 1 day post op.

As far as getting it done in August and the board being in October, that seems a bit tight. Even if you were to get your physical at 3 months, you might not make the board. Call Brooks, I am sure a flight doc on here can give you the number in a PM or something if you ask. They seem to be the only people in the Air Force who are intimate with these policies (sts).

I had the surgery done by a Navy Reserves Flight Surgeon (at his civilian facility), so he was really willing to work with me as far as any military documentation was concerned. You do not have to get anything filled out before your surgery. HOWEVER, it would be good technique to print out all of the letters that have the pre-op requirements (you know, like the -8.00 max with X amount of astigmatism blah blah) and have him review them. It would be a shame to have the surgery only to find out later that you never even qual'd in the first place. Also, make sure he knows that all of the records that he keeps from day 1 are going to be scrutinized by the waiver authority, so he needs to keep them impecibly. You will have to submit all of the records plus a one page form that your recruiter will give you to have your surgeon fill out (post-op). This is all the documentation required (at least this has been my experience thus far).

The surgery was around 4400, but I told them I was getting it done to qualify for the AF so they gave me their military discount, brought it down to 3900. Run that by the financial person at the doc's office and you may save a few bucks.

Hope that answers all your questions.

Good Luck

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest P27:17

Physical/waiver application timelines post PRK:

- Commission/FC I: 3 months post op (**EXCEPT IF ACCOMPLISHED AT BROOKS**)

- MFS (BROOKS) 1 year post op (minimum)

Currently 99.9% of AFROTC cadets go through Brooks for their FC 1, MFS, and FAA exams...currently the AFRC is sending about 60% of their applicants to Brooks. Those who go to Brooks must be at least a year out from PRK because of the MFS piece.

Until proper funding/resources are provided the ANG/OTS folks will have to get the FC I done locally...they are the ones who can start the FC I 3 months post-op. Then attend the MFS at Brooks 1 year post op.

The standards have eased for pre-op refractive error (-8.00 and +.50 astigmatism) anything above that will NOT be waived...ETP is the only route...and a difficult one at that.

Guest Make Yourself

I am attending MFS in a couple weeks and the website states "Send paperwork prior to your scheduled appointment to ensure you are scheduled appropriately. You may need to spend extra time at MFS to complete your evaluation." How much time are we talking? An extra day or just a couple hours more on the day of screening? I am there Wednesday and would like to be out on Thursday is that possible?

Thanks........

If you had PRK, you will for sure be there for an extra day. It's not as long as the previous day, but expect to be there for at least half a day. You would probably be ok flying out later that evening depending on how well you handle dilation.

Edited by lagguer

I am attending MFS in a couple weeks and the website states "Send paperwork prior to your scheduled appointment to ensure you are scheduled appropriately. You may need to spend extra time at MFS to complete your evaluation." How much time are we talking? An extra day or just a couple hours more on the day of screening? I am there Wednesday and would like to be out on Thursday is that possible?

Thanks........

Plan on one extra day...could be more if there is something significant going on or they are short staffed. Your eyes will be dilated so driving will be a no no..

Guest illini52

I ended up being there an extra half day. They did most of the eye and PRK stuff on the 2nd day and did just a few tests the 3rd day. Good people. Answered all my questions. Good luck. The tests are not that bad and kinda cool.

Guest Make Yourself

What do members usually get DQ'd for during PRK eval? Decentered ablation zone, corneal haze etc. Any others?

What do members usually get DQ'd for during PRK eval? Decentered ablation zone, corneal haze etc. Any others?

You might be surprised, but there aren't too many PRK "hard down" DQs...most get waivers. Corneal haze is usally the biggest...or something totally unrelated to the PRK.

Guest ElRoy

Out of curiosity,

I got PRK in college and went through the entire waiver process (beat Corneal Haze's ass down) to come and realize that I didn't meet the original requirements for PRE-Op refractive error.

It just recently changed, correct? So would I just have to reapply under the new criteria?

Out of curiosity,

I got PRK in college and went through the entire waiver process (beat Corneal Haze's ass down) to come and realize that I didn't meet the original requirements for PRE-Op refractive error.

It just recently changed, correct? So would I just have to reapply under the new criteria?

If you can still meet all the other gates then I would recommend a reattempt! The new pro-op refractive error is -8.00.

God luck

• 1 year later...

ok, I think I've searched pretty thoroughly . . .

Almost all of the info on these threads about vision/surgury/etc is from a precommissioning or pre-UPT standpoint. How does it differ for rated aviators?

In other words, ok, now I've got my wings. What are the considerations/policies/etc for getting PRK at this point? I've been wearing contacts for as long as I can remember, and I don't think I wanna bother with em in Afghanistan . . .

Guest goducks
ok, I think I've searched pretty thoroughly . . .

Almost all of the info on these threads about vision/surgury/etc is from a precommissioning or pre-UPT standpoint. How does it differ for rated aviators?

In other words, ok, now I've got my wings. What are the considerations/policies/etc for getting PRK at this point? I've been wearing contacts for as long as I can remember, and I don't think I wanna bother with em in Afghanistan . . .

There is a very well defined process by which active flyers can seek refractive surgery. It involves several steps including co-ordination with your flight surgeon, commander's approval, a screening exam by your local eye doctor as well as their (the eye doc's) agreement to follow you after surgery. You then submit your package to Brooks for approval to pursue surgery. They screen things to make sure you meet the requirement of the program including meeting the retainability requirements (12 months), your eyes are stable and there are no other contra-indications to surgery.

You have the option of seeking surgery at a DoD facility (free of charge) or going to a private doc on your own dollar. The AF strongly prefers you go through DoD channels and there's less paperwork involved if you do so. Here's a link to the refractive surgery site, which includes the latest policy letter.

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/group...name=CTB_070655

If you still have questions, call the Refractive Surgery Registry at Brooks and they can explain everything, DSN 240-4514 or comm 210 536-4514. If you have the motivation to pursue this, I'd go for it. Results have been phenomenal.

Guest dougan22

I apologize if any of this was answered in a different thread, but I really tried searching and couldn't find anything...

I'm currently a civilian (no prior service), college-graduate, 25, no PPL, and I'm considering joining the AF, ANG or the USMC. My vision is currently 20/60 which is within AF standards (20/70) but below the USMC standards (20/40). I was considering taking my chances and applying for a pilot slot in any of those services, but to be eligible for the USMC I'd need to get PRK (waivers are typically "easy" to come by in the Marines, AFAIK). I am not sure however how getting the eye surgery would affect my AF/ANG chances.

1) Are PRK waivers easily obtainable for civilians?

2) I read somewhere that only 10% of people accepted into OTS/UPT are ones with PRK waivers. Any truth to this?

3) Can the PRK procedure be conducted by any civilian doctor?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Guest goducks
I apologize if any of this was answered in a different thread, but I really tried searching and couldn't find anything...

I'm currently a civilian (no prior service), college-graduate, 25, no PPL, and I'm considering joining the AF, ANG or the USMC. My vision is currently 20/60 which is within AF standards (20/70) but below the USMC standards (20/40). I was considering taking my chances and applying for a pilot slot in any of those services, but to be eligible for the USMC I'd need to get PRK (waivers are typically "easy" to come by in the Marines, AFAIK). I am not sure however how getting the eye surgery would affect my AF/ANG chances.

1) Are PRK waivers easily obtainable for civilians?

2) I read somewhere that only 10% of people accepted into OTS/UPT are ones with PRK waivers. Any truth to this?

3) Can the PRK procedure be conducted by any civilian doctor?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Speaking only in reference to the AF/ANG, PRK (or LASIK if you so choose) waivers are highly likely assuming no surgical complications and your eyes are otherwise normal now (e.g. no color vision problems). There is a very small (maybe 1%) DQ rate due to problems from the surgery itself. Years ago, that wasn't the case as there were far more complications. But, the LASER technology has really improved since then.

Historically, USAF policy restricted each accession source to have no more than 10% of the class post-PRK. That limit was dropped a couple of years ago when it was realized that there were no long term PRK issues.

The procedure can be done by any civilian doctor that you choose. Find one that has done a lot of refractive surgery.

Seriously consider whether you really want to pursue an elective procedure if you don't have to. As you noted, you are currently qualified for the AF based on acuity and have lots of wiggle room for waiver (up to 20/200) if your eyes get any worse . Not knowing your refractive error (ie. prescription) I can't be sure whether that would be an issue, but I'm guessing it wouldn't. On the flip-side, I can't recall anyone I've run across that wasn't happy they got PRK or LASIK.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Been browsing all this info for a while now and can't really find exactly what I'm looking for here. I've been a loadmaster for 5 years now and had PRK back in July. Surgery went great, couldn't be more pleased with the results. I need the FCIII waiver so I can return to flying status. The docs in my unit are pretty clueless about the waiver process...hell so am I. How exactly does the process work and what can I do to speed this process up and get back on flying status?

Question 2

I was recently picked up for UPT with my current ANG unit in Sept. I need to go to Brooks in the next several months to get my FC1 so I can get my package for the guard bureau approved. I'm obviously going to get DQ due to PRK and will have to apply for that waiver. Will my loadmaster waiver suffice for FC1 or do I need a whole new waiver?

Assuming PRK is the only thing that DQs me, can/will the guard bureau approve me pending a waiver approval at the 1yr mark? If so, can I go to AMS prior to waiver approval and then just wait to start UPT? Sorry about the long winded questions here but everybody involved seems to be clueless. I hate to sit back and just let the docs handle this. thanks!

Been browsing all this info for a while now and can't really find exactly what I'm looking for here. I've been a loadmaster for 5 years now and had PRK back in July. Surgery went great, couldn't be more pleased with the results. I need the FCIII waiver so I can return to flying status. The docs in my unit are pretty clueless about the waiver process...hell so am I. How exactly does the process work and what can I do to speed this process up and get back on flying status?

Question 2

I was recently picked up for UPT with my current ANG unit in Sept. I need to go to Brooks in the next several months to get my FC1 so I can get my package for the guard bureau approved. I'm obviously going to get DQ due to PRK and will have to apply for that waiver. Will my loadmaster waiver suffice for FC1 or do I need a whole new waiver?

Assuming PRK is the only thing that DQs me, can/will the guard bureau approve me pending a waiver approval at the 1yr mark? If so, can I go to AMS prior to waiver approval and then just wait to start UPT? Sorry about the long winded questions here but everybody involved seems to be clueless. I hate to sit back and just let the docs handle this. thanks!

Apples and oranges...contact AETC about the FC III standards/process.

As for Brooks and the FC I...you won't be able to go there until next July at the soonest (one year post op). Make sure you get all of your follow-ups and have the records to send to Brooks as soon as you are cleared to schedule...you FC I waiver is much more involved than you FC III

Guest goducks

Question 2

To initiate the FCIII waiver, your flight surgeon needs to submit a waiver request to your MAJCOM (ANG?) in AIMWTS (he'll know what that is if you don't) that contains all of your surgical and post-surgical information. Essentially what is required per USAF waiver guide is that your eyes are stable, you are seeing "normally" and you have no complaints about your vision that would contra-indicate putting you back in the air. If your flight doc doesn't know how to proceed from there, have him call the Aviation Refractive Surgery Registry for further guidance at DSN 240-4514 or comm 210 536-4514. Their job is to help facilitate this process. They can't submit the waiver request for the FS, but they can help him/her understand the process.

Apples and oranges...contact AETC about the FC III standards/process.

As for Brooks and the FC I...you won't be able to go there until next July at the soonest (one year post op). Make sure you get all of your follow-ups and have the records to send to Brooks as soon as you are cleared to schedule...you FC I waiver is much more involved than you FC III

That sucks if I can't even go to Brooks prior to the 1 yr mark? I've had other people tell me that I could go to Brooks prior to 1 yr but that I would get DQ. I would then have to submit the waiver and wait until 1 yr post op for the approval. Where is the guidance regarding all this info? Thanks for the responses above! I'm just anxious and can't wait to get to it!

Guest goducks
That sucks if I can't even go to Brooks prior to the 1 yr mark? I've had other people tell me that I could go to Brooks prior to 1 yr but that I would get DQ. I would then have to submit the waiver and wait until 1 yr post op for the approval. Where is the guidance regarding all this info? Thanks for the responses above! I'm just anxious and can't wait to get to it!

I'm sorry to tell you that you cannot go to Brooks prior to the 1 year mark. There have been several precedents in this situation where pilot applicants showed up at 10, 11 months post-PRK and were not waivered until re-eval at the 1 year point. The concern is the possibility of late onset corneal haze, which is considered a risk factor through the first 12 months after PRK. While LASIK doesn't have these long term risks, the rules are still the same.

You can, however, start the FCI waiver process sooner than 12 months. I'm not sure the exact timeline, perhaps someone else can provide better guidance.

The guidance for this is in the USAF waiver guide:

"For an applicant to AASD, the individual must meet pre-RS clinical criteria and

documentation of such must be provided. All pre-operative, intra-operative and postoperative

documentation must be forward to the USAF-RS Registry (documentation

attached in AIMWTS meets this requirement). At a minimum the individual must be 12

months post-RS for waiver consideration. US Air Force Academy (USAFA) cadets must

be treated at the USAFA Laser Center for PRK (ASA) and at WHMC for LASIK (ISA).

Non-active duty pilot applicants (civilians, ROTC) must pursue RS at their own expense

and follow-up by civilian providers. They will be evaluated at the ACS at the time of

medical flight screening (MFS) to determine if they meet waiver criteria. Active duty

pilot applicants will also be evaluated at the ACS during MFS."

and the CRS policy letter:

4.3.1. Applicants must be, at minimum, 12 months post-RS for waiver consideration.

I realize this guidance refers to pilot applicants as being only USAFA, ROTC or civilian, while you're an active flyer (or will be soon hopefully). Maybe there is additional guidance that I've missed that would cover your situation more appropriately. Nevertheless, the 12 month wait will still apply.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I seem to have a situation here and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I was selected for a pilot slot on the 08-03 OTS board, and had my FC1 in the middle of September. Yesterday, I received a call that I was DQ'd because of my manifest refraction test. Right now, my vision is -6.25 in my right eye and -5.00 in my left eye, which is beyond the -3.00 waiverable limit for pilot and the -4.50 waiverable limit for navigator, but still within the -8.00 limit for PRK pre-op numbers. From what I've heard, I can't get PRK now because they won't hold my slot for the 1 year wait to get a PRK waiver, and from what it sounds like, I won't be able to switch over to nav for the same reason. So to me it sounds like I'm going to get the boot, unless there is anything anyone knows of that I can do to keep my slot?

If I do loose my slot, can I get PRK done now and wait and reapply to the OTS boards in a year (or however long I have to wait to reapply), or do I have a permanent mark on my record that's going to keep my from flying?

I brought this situation up with multiple recruiters and AF medical people before I applied because I knew I was probably outside the limits, but everyone I spoke to either didn't know the requirements or told me to wait until after I go through OTS and training to get PRK done, which apparently isn't at all how it works. It seems to me that if someone had told me how it actually was, I could have had PRK and I would still be in a position to have a slot or get a slot, but instead, I'm stuck here now in what should be a totally avoidable predicament.

Thanks for any information.

Mike

Guest goducks
Hi everyone,

I seem to have a situation here and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I was selected for a pilot slot on the 08-03 OTS board, and had my FC1 in the middle of September. Yesterday, I received a call that I was DQ'd because of my manifest refraction test. Right now, my vision is -6.25 in my right eye and -5.00 in my left eye, which is beyond the -3.00 waiverable limit for pilot and the -4.50 waiverable limit for navigator, but still within the -8.00 limit for PRK pre-op numbers. From what I've heard, I can't get PRK now because they won't hold my slot for the 1 year wait to get a PRK waiver, and from what it sounds like, I won't be able to switch over to nav for the same reason. So to me it sounds like I'm going to get the boot, unless there is anything anyone knows of that I can do to keep my slot?

If I do loose my slot, can I get PRK done now and wait and reapply to the OTS boards in a year (or however long I have to wait to reapply), or do I have a permanent mark on my record that's going to keep my from flying?

I brought this situation up with multiple recruiters and AF medical people before I applied because I knew I was probably outside the limits, but everyone I spoke to either didn't know the requirements or told me to wait until after I go through OTS and training to get PRK done, which apparently isn't at all how it works. It seems to me that if someone had told me how it actually was, I could have had PRK and I would still be in a position to have a slot or get a slot, but instead, I'm stuck here now in what should be a totally avoidable predicament.

Mike

Mike,

You are correct that you are well beyond any waiverable limits for either pilot or nav. I cannot speak on the administrative process regarding re-applying after OTS, but I can tell you that people have been DQ'd for various (correctable) medical reasons and then went to on get another pilot slot after the problem was fixed. So there does not appear to be a permanent mark on your record. Indeed, if you had PRK and re-applied you would be waiverable, it's just a question of how likely you'd get picked back up. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the process (P27?) can shed some light. I should also mention that if you pursue PRK after OTS, you will need to go through the USAF program, get your commander's approval, etc.

It's unfortunate, to say the least, that you couldn't get better guidance when the time was right. However, I've seen many cases of people succeeding just by being persistent. Get the PRK (or LASIK) and keep fighting for a slot. Good luck.

GoDucks.

Hi everyone,

Mike

My friend goducks has a great handle on your situation...the only chance I see, and it is slim for a March Board, is to get the Refractive Surgery ASAP...then in three months try and get an FC I exam done at a local MTF. If you meet all of your follow-up gates without problem...AETC should certify the exam (with a waiver) pending MFS which you would do at Brooks one year post op.

Either way...the Surgery is the only chance you have for the FC I selection...Mar 08 or the next available board...hopefully your unit will show some patience and grace!

• 2 months later...
Guest Comic Relief

Alright, here's my situation: I'm 19 and a freshman in college right now, with prescriptions of -2.50 in my left eye and -2.75 in my right.

Question 1: Should I bother with PRK in the first place? I don't have any astigmatism, so -2.50 and -2.75 are within waiver range, but my acuity is 20/200 in each eye which is rather close for comfort, and I'd be afraid of either getting worse after whatever the PRK deadline is. Of course, if at all possible I'd rather put the $5000 I've got stashed under my mattress toward some flight hours. Anyway, are there any guesses to how much wiggle-room I've got in the diopter without changing my acuity? Say if my right bumps up to -3.00, should it stay 20/200? And even if it does, would I just have a better shot at a waiver with PRK than some borderline waiver-able myopia?

Question 2: What's the latest I can get PRK and still be eligible for a pilot slot? My eyes haven't changed in about a year, so I think they're done changing, but I'd like to wait as long as possible so if they do change it happens before PRK. From what I can tell, in order to be Potential Pilot Qualified, meaning -1.50 or less in both eyes, I need to have my DODMERB physical updated with my post-op results by Nov of my AS300 year. Is this completely independent of FC I waiver requirements? In other words, do I need to the PRK a year before Nov of my AS300 year in order to get a PRK waiver? I've also heard I only need to wait 3 months to apply for pilot slot after PRK, so long a full year has passed between PRK and the actual FC I. In that case I guess I could wait until July/August of my junior year to get PRK, but that would depended on the latest I could take my FC I (assuming I get a pilot slot. I don't think I'd have to get a FC I until I actually land the slot anyway).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest SCtrojan
Mike,

You are correct that you are well beyond any waiverable limits for either pilot or nav. I cannot speak on the administrative process regarding re-applying after OTS, but I can tell you that people have been DQ'd for various (correctable) medical reasons and then went to on get another pilot slot after the problem was fixed. So there does not appear to be a permanent mark on your record. Indeed, if you had PRK and re-applied you would be waiverable, it's just a question of how likely you'd get picked back up. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the process (P27?) can shed some light. I should also mention that if you pursue PRK after OTS, you will need to go through the USAF program, get your commander's approval, etc.

It's unfortunate, to say the least, that you couldn't get better guidance when the time was right. However, I've seen many cases of people succeeding just by being persistent. Get the PRK (or LASIK) and keep fighting for a slot. Good luck.

GoDucks.

Oh crap, I'm in a similar situation, so does this mean that because my prescription is -6.50 diopters in my right eye and -5.75 diopters in my left eye, that when I go in for the optometry part of my FC1 I will be DQed AND beyond any waiverable limits and lose my slot??

Guest goducks
Oh crap, I'm in a similar situation, so does this mean that because my prescription is -6.50 diopters in my right eye and -5.75 diopters in my left eye, that when I go in for the optometry part of my FC1 I will be DQed AND beyond any waiverable limits and lose my slot??

SC,

For FCI (pilot), you will not be waivered at -5.75 D. Currently the limit is -3.00 D. Your only option, if you choose, is refractive surgery. However, there is a one year wait before you can be evaluated for medical clearance. If you do not have that window of time prior to your board, then your slot will not be held.

Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news.

GD