Donating Bone marrow

Guest AviatorFT07

Guest AviatorFT07

Hi all,

A few days ago I was contacted by the National Bone Marrow Registry. I had registered with them in 2003 and now it appears that I am a possible donor. I don't think it would be a problem, but does the USAF or Brooks give any grief to guys going for their flight physicals who have gone through this process? The lady at the Registry who I spoke to was very nice and said they work with DOD a lot because they have a lot of military donors. She didn't think it would be a problem, and neither did I, but I just want to make sure. I really want to go through with the process and help someone out.

Thanks...

Guest doctidy

It sounds like you are not Active Duty now.

Active Duty need to get a note from their commander authorizing them to undergo a procedure.

Civilians do not. It will not affect your chances of getting on active duty, staying on active duty, or getting on flying status...as long as there are no complications.

I along w/ many others thank you for your heroic donation.

Guest AviatorFT07

Rage_:P,

That's correct, I'm not on active duty right now. After making contact with the DOD's donor program and speaking to several people there, no problems seem to be apparent. So now it's off for more testing to see if I or someone else is the closest match.

Thanks for the reply.

• 3 years later...

I just got a call from the DoD Bone Marrow Program guys saying I am a possible match for someone in need of a transplant. They say it will take a few months to determine if I am a %100 match. Has anyone ever gone through this process?

I know..23uvacl.gif

The search function was not working. How do I move this the Aviation Medicine Forum?

Guest RabidWombat

I was notified of the same thing a while back. I talked to the flight doc, and my squadron commander at the time. Flight Doc said they really have no idea how long the DNIF period is because it is a little different for everyone. The number they had on the books is 4-6 weeks, but he said the procedure is that right before you leave to donate they take a sample of blood and test for compound/cell X(sorry cant remember what they test for). When you get back they test your blood until it is back to where it was when you left, and then you are off DNIF. The squadron commander said that if it came down and I was a match the squadron was 100% behind whatever decision I made. While this may be the case for you as well, be sure to talk to your boss because it will take you off the flight roster for a while. In the end, I never got the call saying I was a perfect match. Just an almost match. So, I can't say anything about pain or recovery.

Hope this helped.

RW

I was notified of the same thing a while back. I talked to the flight doc, and my squadron commander at the time. Flight Doc said they really have no idea how long the DNIF period is because it is a little different for everyone. The number they had on the books is 4-6 weeks, but he said the procedure is that right before you leave to donate they take a sample of blood and test for compound/cell X(sorry cant remember what they test for). When you get back they test your blood until it is back to where it was when you left, and then you are off DNIF. The squadron commander said that if it came down and I was a match the squadron was 100% behind whatever decision I made. While this may be the case for you as well, be sure to talk to your boss because it will take you off the flight roster for a while. In the end, I never got the call saying I was a perfect match. Just an almost match. So, I can't say anything about pain or recovery.

Hope this helped.

RW

Thanks! Yea my boss is an Army O-6 and doesn't give a rats ass if I am DNIF since I am on the J Staff and don't fly anymore! I am going for my blood work on Monday and I talked to the Flt Doc at Osan and they told me the same thing. Since I am in a non-flying billet it doesn't matter, all they have to check it that my marrow came back before I go back on flt status.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I just completed my Bone Marrow donation last week. Here are a few notes from the process for future reference.

I did the peripheral blood circulating cell (PBSC) donation. Not sure why it is not called PBCC?

PBSC donation takes place at an apheresis center. To increase the number of blood-forming cells in the bloodstream, you will receive daily injections of a drug called filgrastim for five days before the collection. These injections suck ass. All of the side effects listed for this drug I got! Back pain, bone pain, head ache, shortness of breath, fatigue, and sweats. However, Tylenol held the pain a bay fairly well. I was able to get around just fine during these five days.

Thing to remember for the actual donation. Your blood is removed through a needle in one arm and passed through a machine that separates out the blood-forming cells. This process is similar to donating plasma. The remaining blood is returned to you.

Ok, make sure you are not cold when you start this procedure. Turn the heat on in the car on the way there. If you are cold your veins will have tough time, they will spasm and collapse causing machine to slow down. If the machine has to go slow you will be in that chair for 7 hours. It took 5.5 hrs for me they said 3.5 was the record. Do not drink a lot of water before the procedure because you will not be able to piss the entire time. There are Emergency piss procedures but you do not want to go through that.