Abnormal pap smear

Guest future_nav

Guest future_nav

recently had my fc1a which went smoothly. got recent results back from my last pap and they came back abnormal graded low severity. i'm going into the doctors in a week to have further tests for HPV... assuming this is the case, how long do i have to wait for my flight physical to be considered for approval...(like do i have to have a certain # of clear paps before its submitted, or a certain amount of time?) :(

Guest Apollo

I'm sure F16Doc will come in and answer this, just sit tight. Hiya Kim, hang in there!

Guest doctidy

We all have to meet standards to stay in the AF as a baseline in addition to those for flying training. W/ that said, there is nothing disqualifying for flying training for abnormal Pap smears.

Guest future_nav

? you're saying an abnormal papsmear is not disqualifying? if this were the case, why is it listed right under the disqualifying medical condition of missing a testicle? lol.

my flight physical is sitting in a file waiting for a clear papsmear to be approved. i just want to know what the regulations are for how many consecutive paps have to be clear before they'll look at me again...

Guest F16PilotMD

Only thing I know of is in regard to your initial appointment (i.e.: "enlisting") in the USAF:

A3.17.14.3. Pap smears graded abnormal, or any smear in which the descriptive terms condyloma

accuminatum, human papilloma virus, dysplasia, carcinoma-in-situ, or invasive cancer are used.

Nothing disqualifying for flying unless your "abnormal" pap smear ends up as a malignancy or you are treated with a drug that is makes you DNIF while you are taking it.

Guest future_nav

ok, but again, my flight physical is still being held until i get a clear papsmere to send them. how many clear paps do i need before they approve my physlcal? i've heard 2 and i've heard 3....?

Guest F16PilotMD

Not sure WTF they are doing. My advice is to speak with them about your question since they seem (?) to have a plan. I just can't find anything to support this. I'll keep looking. Let me know how this goes.

Guest future_nav

i did talk to them. they told me to update them when i get my recent tests back. my physical will not be sent until i have a clear papsmear. maybe this is pointless to look in to anymore.... i was just hoping a female on this site might have been through the same thing and could give me a timeframe. i know for sure i can't pass my physical without a clear papsmear.

Guest doctidy

I said abnormal PAP is not disqualifying for flying.

If indeed your abnormal PAP is from HPV, it could be a long time before a "clear" PAP. All you need is the condition treated...not a "clear" PAP.

I'm not a female on this site...but a guy who knows Flight Medicine. If you can't get a straight answer, PM me w/ a POC and we'll get it fixed. This is not serious and is easily fixed.

Guest future_nav

unfortunately, my doctor told me pending test results that it usually goes away by itself and that they don't treat it, just do a pap every 3-6 months and watch it carefully.

my mother thinks i should go to her doctor and get a second opinion.... results should be in this week sometime, so we'll see what they say...

Guest F16PilotMD

Future-

It sounds like you have a serious miscomm going on. Goes away by itself...?? I'm no OB/GYN, but that's crazy.

I agree with the second opinion.

Take care of yourself first, then work the IFC-1A or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest future_nav

so it turns out that my biopsy results came back normal. now new question...anyone know if when i get the results on paper in the mail and fax them to flight medecine, can they be a substitute for a clear papsmear? i mean it is a more thorough test after all....

well, if nobody knows, i will just have to find out when i get them in my hands and talk to the people handling my physical.