Eczema (skin) issues

Guest Herk06

Thread bump.

I have a certain sub-condition of eczema and from the research I've been doing it looks like this could kill my chances of serving my country for good. Does anyone have experience with obtaining a waiver for any form of eczema and if yes how difficult was it to get one?

It also depends on what your status is right now. Are you already enlisted? Are you already a cadet somewhere? Or are you trying to enlist/commission/obtain flying status/etc. Two different regulations at work then. AFI 48-123 governs standards for continued service. DoDI 6130.4 governs appointnment, induction or enlistment, which includes commissioning if you were not commissioned within the last 6 months. Oh, and for flying,

I can't comment on your individual case here, nor should you post details about your medical conditions on an 'anonymous' forum. I will say that in general, case waivers are approved if the condition relapsed after the age of 10m is not on visible parts of the skin, is less than 10%, you don't get frequent exacerbations which could hinder you in the field, and has not required frequent topical or systemic glucocorticoids, UV phototherapy, or Topical immunomodulators like pimecrolimus (currently a great area for flying, but i digress)... My man deaddebate probably has the answer you are looking for!

For flying (from USAF waiver guide)

Table 2: Waiver potential for dermatitis

Flying Class

(FC)

Disqualifying Condition/Treatment Waiver Potential

Waiver Authority

I/IA, Initial

FC II/III

Any chronic skin disorder, which is severe enough to

cause recurrent grounding from flying duties, or is

aggravated by, or interferes with, the wearing of

military equipment.

Atopic dermatitis/eczema controlled with topical

steroids, topical pimecrolimus, and/or oral nonsedating

antihistamines (Fexofenadine or loratadine).

Atopic dermatitis/eczema controlled with topical

tacrolimus, oral steroids, oral cyclosporine, or PUVA.

Eczema, chronic and resistant to treatment

Verified history of atopic dermatitis or eczema after

age 8

No

AETC

No

AETC

No

AETC

No

AETC

No

AETC

You can see there, that all of the NO responses imply that they will not take a waiver for anybody with significant involvement of eczema, so they say that any skin condition with is recurrent and has the ability to ground the member frequently is usually denied.,

All eczema cases sit in a spectrum, so once you figure where you are on that spectrum, you can see where you can go and how to get there,. My last piece of advice, when something is disqualifying dont act like its the final word. You just need a waiver. Waivers are given out for enlistment/comissioning for things like this all the time, otherwise we wouldn't any non rated officers, Just bring your paperwork and make sure its legit before going for the entrance physical. Get your civilian doc to write the note as conservatively as he can (without breaking the law). Many things get waived but you'll get in.

The uphill battle will be to become a rated aviator. Your physical physical is much more strict than your enlistment and commissioning physical.

Harrumph!

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone-I have a mild case of eczema and have not had a prescription in about a decade. Waiver request was declined through NGB, can not go to MEPS, no further paperwork required. The letter didn't say much more.

Can anyone help me understand my options at this point? Is an ETP relevant?

I'm local to Andrews; would a visit help? Is there any way to get an exam?

I almost always have a dime sized visible patch somewhere on my hand or I wouldn't have declared it, but I expect even a mediocre doctor could have identified it...couldn't justify withholding info up front and digging myself a hole.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel after all the effort invested in getting selected for UPT. I'd take a non flying position if I could enlist just to serve. :(

PM is welcome but a discussion here may help someone else. I found only discussions about vision; wonder if I can elect to take the smallpox vaccine and request again.

Thanks!

You can go to MEPS, but not for a Pilot/Nav slot. You can read the waiver guide linked in my signature for "Eczematous Dermatitis".

AFI 48-123

6.44.27.1. Flying Classes II and III.

[...]

6.44.27.1.5. Eczema, chronic and resistant to treatment.

[...]

6.44.27.2. Flying Classes I and IA. In addition to 6.44.27.1, verified history after age 8 of atopic dermatitis, eczema, and/or psoriasis.

Read the specifics, as there are several similar conditions and unique waiver considerations for each, though I suspect you are SOL.

• 5 months later...

For those concerned about Eczema: I was able to pass my AFROTC DODMERB eval (yes!!!) and I have a mild form of Eczema that I did identify. I specifically said in my medical evaluation that I do NOT take prescription meds (I did for many years), but rather an over the counter medication that works just fine. The issue wasn't brought up again and I passed without issue in that category. No waiver needed.

My advice, if your condition fits into the Eczema/atopicdermatitis category but is not terribly nasty try and find an OTC treatment that you can substitute for prescriptions. I discovered Selsun Blue about 2 years ago and I must say its a miracle worker. It mightve very well saved my career, because the doc said if I was still using prescription meds when I did my tests I would've been DQ'd and needed a waiver. Again, even if you're currently taking px's try to find a shampoo that works for your condition and if it suppresses it enough tell your doctor that you no longer need px.

Hope this helps. Good luck to everyone!

• 5 months later...

bumping this back up.

"irishtiger" did you get anywhere with your attempts to get a waiver?

I have 2 or 3 small spots on my hands, identified by an AF Determatologist, they perscribed a steriod cream which did nothing for me so I stopped using it. I use an over the counter lotion once a day or so if I'm in the water frequently and it flares. This just appeared on me in the last 2 years and I don't understand why now and what triggered it. Also is all eczema subjective with no test?

I was notified yesterday that I my appointment for an FC1 was cancelled and I was DQ'd (no paperwork yet). Where should I go from here? Civilian Dr? Medical at my Sq?

Edited by BDJ238

Subjective is a little unfair, but there is no specific laboratory testing to identify the condition. A Dermatologist/Doc can objectively determine you have eczema/Atopic Dermatitis via physical examination. The waiver guide for Dermatitis was updated just this month (Jul 2014). Though the guide states that the condition is not waiverable for IFC I, it appears that more than half of teh IFC I applicants were approved (48/67 = 72%). Push the FSO to submit a waiver, even if they intend to write it as a "DQ" waiver (meaning a waiver with the intent to get you permanently DQ'd). You've got a good chance to surprise them and get a waiver regardless.

The most important thing to remember about the Waiver Guide is that it is a GUIDE. Sometimes it'll say a patient should be approved but they get DQ'd. Sometimes it'll direct a few specialty consults but then the member will go TDY to WPAFB for further eval. Sometimes it looks like an applicant will have no chance in hell but the package is written well and the member has command support so they're approved. The real proof is looking at historical cases and seeing the rate that waivers are approved, but again this is just an indicator, not a guarantee.

bumping this back up.

"irishtiger" did you get anywhere with your attempts to get a waiver?

I have 2 or 3 small spots on my hands, identified by an AF Determatologist, they perscribed a steriod cream which did nothing for me so I stopped using it. I use an over the counter lotion once a day or so if I'm in the water frequently and it flares. This just appeared on me in the last 2 years and I don't understand why now and what triggered it. Also is all eczema subjective with no test?

I was notified yesterday that I my appointment for an FC1 was cancelled and I was DQ'd (no paperwork yet). Where should I go from here? Civilian Dr? Medical at my Sq?

I don't know how to quote you, but I actually thought that was my post...I just got the cancellation notice for FC1 as well. So ya, got through MEPS and swore in, and now on hold again. I'm in the same boat as you. I'll ask about submitting the waiver consideration...although I already have a waiver from MEPS...so...if you make any progress, please keep me informed (PM is fine). I've got such a mild case it isn't noticeable and I'm kicking myself for checking the box.

Thanks and good luck.

• 6 months later...

Bringing this back up. A year later and I'm still working to not be DQ'd. I'm attempting to get an ETP seeing that my "dyshidrotic eczema" or dry skin is very minimal. I had a local Derm do several tests and write a letter that he doesn't see this as being a problem and that I should even be cleared to receive the smallpox vaccine if needed. This went on the the State Flight Surgeon who supported it, wrote a letter and sent it up to State NGB. NGB signed it and wrote a letter responding to an inquiry on me from a State Representative.

The question(s) I have is where should this go from here? Should I have the Rep submit to NGB requesting an ETP or maybe directly to USAF Surgeon General?

From what I understand, I haven't actually had eyes on any of the paperwork since I handed up my letter from the Derm, is that the current letters basically state that I should be able to continue applying for UPT positions (I'm still an Alt with one unit and speaking with another, interviewing with others) and that the state will back me when I try to go for an I/IA again. Am I headed in the right direction?

Edited by BDJ238

Read the medical ETP thread.

Word of advice, civilian docs should not make military recommendations--it's pretentious and pisses of the flight docs. They should just remain totally objective in recommendations and assessments.

Your standard medical route is pretty much toast. You could try to convince the local authority to submit to AFMSA (the highest waiver authority), but that's a very long shot. Stick with the command route.

• 5 years later...

Okay, I know this thread is super old, but it may give me some medical advice too.

I have a skin of eczema specifically "spongiotic psoriasiform dermatitis" confirmed via a biopsy that she claimed is minor and should be no factor. I would agree, it has never been remotely distracting for the past few years I've had it. It bothered me even when I am flying in general aviation with no climate control.

Full transparency because I can hide behind some level of basic anonymity here, it looks pretty ugly, I have about a dozen half inch diameter blotches on my back and a few on my hairline. I'm trying to fly fighters for the ANG, even though it isn't bad, some lotion can treat it pretty well.

Not in the military at all, I'm totally off the street, so I know that makes it harder for me too. Any recommendations on how to handle this?

Thanks!

-Aspiring Fighter pilot with an ugly back