Color blindness/deficiency

Guest Enrique123

Yep, you'd need to find another rotary airframe for the AF or go to RPA's to qualify for a FCII waiver, which is your only chance.

So I've heard in the past of Army pilots going to a fixed-wing qual course in the USAF, but realize that this no longer exists.  So if I understand you correctly, say I got picked up by a fixed-wing guard unit, they would have to send me through UPT?  Which would mean I need FCI and wouldn't get a waiver for color vision?  There's no way around this with some other course similar to FWQ?  What about the 'operational evaluation' others spoke of for USAF pilots to transfer platforms?

If I transfer into an H-60 platform I'd be considered 'trained' and be able to get a waiver for FCII.  What about this 'operational evaluation'?  Is that not an option for me to switch platforms?

What does RPA's have to do with this?  When I was in the USAF, but DQ'd from UPT (after PCSing to Laughlin) I asked if I could go RPA's but I was DQ'd from that along with spec ops, flight test engineer, and every other USAF job I was interested in.  Am I considered 'trained' in RPA's for some nonsensical reason?

Is there someone at AETC I can contact about this?  Or who is the correct authority to ask?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've heard in the past of Army pilots going to a fixed-wing qual course in the USAF, but realize that this no longer exists.  So if I understand you correctly, say I got picked up by a fixed-wing guard unit, they would have to send me through UPT?  Which would mean I need FCI and wouldn't get a waiver for color vision?  There's no way around this with some other course similar to FWQ?  What about the 'operational evaluation' others spoke of for USAF pilots to transfer platforms?

If I transfer into an H-60 platform I'd be considered 'trained' and be able to get a waiver for FCII.  What about this 'operational evaluation'?  Is that not an option for me to switch platforms?

What does RPA's have to do with this?  When I was in the USAF, but DQ'd from UPT (after PCSing to Laughlin) I asked if I could go RPA's but I was DQ'd from that along with spec ops, flight test engineer, and every other USAF job I was interested in.  Am I considered 'trained' in RPA's for some nonsensical reason?

Is there someone at AETC I can contact about this?  Or who is the correct authority to ask?

See AFI 48-123:

(Replace) 6.24.7.1. Pilots of fighter, rotary wing, fixed wing (non-fighter) and Remotely Piloted Aircraft transferring from sister service to an equivalent weapon system in the Air Force are considered trained assets, FCII or RPA Pilot standards apply as appropriate. Complete all requirements for pilot’s age IAW PHA and ASIMS guidelines. This physical will be entered into PEPP for baseline comparison and into AIMWTS if flying waiver required.

(Add) 6.24.7.2. Pilots of fighter, rotary wing, fixed wing (non-fighter) and Remotely Piloted Aircraft transferring to the AF from a different type of weapon system are not considered trained assets. Flying Class I standards apply for manned aviation platforms. These pilots would require initial FCI physical and successful completion of MFS. For those transferring into RPA, IFCII standards apply (see 6.1.1.3.). This physical will be entered into PEPP and into AIMWTS if flying waiver required.

I have no idea what the operational and educational standards are.  There's the medical requirement--it isn't driven by what is operationally required.  Chance of a FCI waiver is minimal.  Standards change and the AF now has a RPA-only category, namely FCIIU.  That's the only options I see for you.  There are some helicopter spots in the AF, and there are numerous RPA spots, make a choice and good luck.

See AFI 48-123:

(Replace) 6.24.7.1. Pilots of fighter, rotary wing, fixed wing (non-fighter) and Remotely Piloted Aircraft transferring from sister service to an equivalent weapon system in the Air Force are considered trained assets, FCII or RPA Pilot standards apply as appropriate. Complete all requirements for pilot’s age IAW PHA and ASIMS guidelines. This physical will be entered into PEPP for baseline comparison and into AIMWTS if flying waiver required.

(Add) 6.24.7.2. Pilots of fighter, rotary wing, fixed wing (non-fighter) and Remotely Piloted Aircraft transferring to the AF from a different type of weapon system are not considered trained assets. Flying Class I standards apply for manned aviation platforms. These pilots would require initial FCI physical and successful completion of MFS. For those transferring into RPA, IFCII standards apply (see 6.1.1.3.). This physical will be entered into PEPP and into AIMWTS if flying waiver required.

Thanks for that info. The last time I read that AFI was before it changed while I was still on active USAF; what a buzzkill. 

Edited by bmather9

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that info. The last time I read that AFI was before it changed while I was still on active USAF; what a buzzkill. 

To go one step further, where does the V-22 fall into those categories?  The way I read it, as a rotary wing pilot I could potentially get into a rotary wing weapon system in the USAF as a trained asset.  Would V-22 be an option?

To go one step further, where does the V-22 fall into those categories?  The way I read it, as a rotary wing pilot I could potentially get into a rotary wing weapon system in the USAF as a trained asset.  Would V-22 be an option?
That's an interesting question and outside my realm. I'd defer to the MAJCOM/A3. But if they approve it, your waiver likelihood is much better.

• 1 month later...

Ouch, have you ever talked to a recruiter?  Try telling them that you want to transfer out of Active Duty USAF to the Army National Guard, and then go ask another one the same question and I'd bet my manhood you won't get the same answer twice.  I'm still not sure that anyone actually knows how to accomplish something like that; it was sheer luck that I made it through the transition.  I typically never received any useful info from them, and they deserve at least some of the blame for the color vision debacle I dealt with previously.  

I've been much more successful collecting my info from any source other than recruiters.  Anyway, I'll give it a shot since it can't hurt.  Any other ideas in the mean time?

In my job, I talk to Recruiters at least weekly.  They are typically in a shitty situation, trying to keep many plates spinning, so I'm not surprised when they're under-informed.

If you're already in the AF, you could have someone higher in your chain (O-6+) send an e-mail to HAF/A3, but that's nearly a hail mary.  Sending a vMPF request is about as helpful as a magic 8-ball.

you would need to talk to the helo functional at AFPC.  I'll see if I can find contact info tomorrow at work.  Or you can try to navigate MyPers to the SOF/Helo page.  I've been a schoolhouse brownsuiter for about a year now and haven't seen any FAGs in that time (though obviously we have tons of them in the community).  Gates may be currently closed, or not.  Not sure.

• 1 month later...