Color blindness/deficiency

Guest Enrique123

Just wondering what type test they use at the FC1? Is it the same circles w/ numbers that we usually see or do they have some other means of initial testing? I have heard that the test at FC1 is "harder" than other tests you may have taken in the past, is this true? How can they be harder? Do they just make the numbers really hard to see?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering what type test they use at the FC1? Is it the same circles w/ numbers that we usually see or do they have some other means of initial testing? I have heard that the test at FC1 is "harder" than other tests you may have taken in the past, is this true? How can they be harder? Do they just make the numbers really hard to see?

During my FC1/MFS at Wright-Patt, they did not use the same circles with number that you usually see. Instead, they used a laptop for the color vision test. A letter is presented one at a time for about 5 seconds and you have to click (with the mouse, not the keyboard) the letter you see. It gets progressively harder. Look at this link: http://www.iovs.org/content/52/2/816/F1.large.jpg. It is a lot like what you will see, except the letters are larger and are presented one at a time.

EDIT: What JakeFSU said.

Personally, I did not think it was any more difficult than the book (maybe a tad easier) but I do hear of people struggling with it.

This isn't special to WPAFB though, your medical squadron probably has this test at your base. If you ask, I am sure they will run you through it. Before I even started applying, I went to my med. squadron and asked if they would run me through some of the tests. They set me up with a mock FC-1, including seeing the flight doc, so I knew going into WPAFB I wasn't going to be medically DQ'ed for anything standard.

Edited by Kenny Powers

During my FC1/MFS at Wright-Patt, they did not use the same circles with number that you usually see. Instead, they used a laptop for the color vision test. A letter is presented one at a time for about 5 seconds and you have to click (with the mouse, not the keyboard) the letter you see. It gets progressively harder. Look at this link: http://www.iovs.org/...16/F1.large.jpg. It is a lot like what you will see, except the letters are larger and are presented one at a time.
The Cone Contrast Test (CCT) is replacing the PseudoIsochromatic Ishihara Plate (PIP). This process started in 2009 and should be finished by the end of this year, due to logistical problems in distributing the equipment to all bases. CCT will eventually be the only required exam, but PIP is still accomplished and documented until then. 75+ for each eye for each color is passing (6 scores total, 2 eyes x 3 colors [Red, Green, Blue]). <75 will is disqualifying or requires waiver.

The test is randomized and becomes progressively more difficult. Don't use the linked pic as the test. The testing screens are calibrated to the testing rooms. Your monitor you're looking at right now isn't going to give you accurate results.

Cool guys, thanks for the info. I had no idea they had changed the test. So will the CCT test be the only one they give me or will they also give the PIP test as well? I did take a look at JakeFSU's link (not as a test but just as what it looks like), I noticed the standards on the side. Does that mean that it is a little more "lenient" than the PIP test which was pass/fail?

Does that mean that it is a little more "lenient" than the PIP test which was pass/fail?
PIP passing score was 12/14 and 9/10 for Set 1 and Set 2 respectively. CCT is 75+. They test the same thing, and the passing scores are technically the same difficulty. The only difference is a few people were able to pass the PIP when they had an actual color deficiency and were either very borderline (or memorized the test [cheated]). The CCT actually quantifies your results and simplifies the waiver process for those that might need waivers, rather than an abstract score that doesn't specify where at what level of color deficiency might be present. Those waivers often required expensive and lengthy anomaloscope testing, and the CCT bypasses that need for the new generation of waivers.

Don't expect to get 100 on all areas. The statistic is something like 1 in 8 men have at least a mild color deficiency, and plenty of people will get 80's.

There are no waivers for defective color vision. If you do not score 75 or higher on each eye/each color on the CCT at WPAFB, you will be tested using additional color vision testing platforms to determine the type and level of color deficiency.

There are no FCI/RPA waivers for defective color vision. If you do not score 75 or higher on each eye/each color on the CCT at WPAFB, you will be tested using additional color vision testing platforms to determine the type and level of color deficiency.
There are still FCII and III waivers. You are correct, though, that no pilots will get waivers.

When I took the color vision test at WP it was on a small laptop. All of the colors were grey at first. Turned out the screen was tilted too far back so the nurse/tech. tilted it forward some and made a world of difference. I went from seeing the first couple of numbers to seeing pretty much all of them.

When I took the color vision test at WP it was on a small laptop. All of the colors were grey at first. Turned out the screen was tilted too far back so the nurse/tech. tilted it forward some and made a world of difference. I went from seeing the first couple of numbers to seeing pretty much all of them.

Wait, I thought the computer was calibrated for each room? Could it be possible that some med tech could screw you out of a potential job as a pilot? No way!

You are correct, though, that no pilots will get waivers.

Bullshit. Pilots can and will get waivers. People applying to UPT, perhaps not.

IFC I/IA/IIU and III(certain career fields) are not eligible for waivers for color deficiency. IFC II flight surgeon and IFC III without color vision requirements can be waived for color deficiency. Trained aviators with a FC II can be waived with FC IIC rating restricting them to their current airframe unless they go through the required process to qualify in another. Trained FC III can also be waived.

I will be more specific in the future since my response caused the confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

When I went through Brooks in '09, they had it on an old tube monitor, the glare and haze off that screen was horrible. Took it again this year for my flight physical on a LCD computer, what a world of difference.

• 3 weeks later...

IFC I/IA/IIU and III(certain career fields) are not eligible for waivers for color deficiency. IFC II flight surgeon and IFC III without color vision requirements can be waived for color deficiency. Trained aviators with a FC II can be waived with FC IIC rating restricting them to their current airframe unless they go through the required process to qualify in another. Trained FC III can also be waived.

I will be more specific in the future since my response caused the confusion.

Still confused. Been an AF pilot since 2001 (currently in a staff job with no flying) and always successfully took the book-plate test (no cheating). I took the computer test last year and failed. Retested multiple times, multiple days, no dice. Took the book-plate test again, did fine. Eye doc stated that he would push the waiver for it and my understanding is that I am good. Are you hearing otherwise?

Still confused. Been an AF pilot since 2001 (currently in a staff job with no flying) and always successfully took the book-plate test (no cheating). I took the computer test last year and failed. Retested multiple times, multiple days, no dice. Took the book-plate test again, did fine. Eye doc stated that he would push the waiver for it and my understanding is that I am good. Are you hearing otherwise?

No. You should be good. As a trained pilot you are eligible for a waiver. Your case should be reviewed by the aerospace med consult service and a recommendation will be made to AFMSA. AFMSA makes the waiver decision depending upon the circumstances of the case. You should receive a FC IIC waiver which will restrict you to previously flown aircraft. If you cross train into a new airframe, you will need to undergo an operational evaluation of your ability to correctly use the display.

Summary of changes

Cone Contrast Test (CCT) equipment will be sent to AF MTFs and ANG and AFRC units not co-located with an MTF no later than January 2011. Beginning 1 January 2011, or upon receipt of CCT equipment, all flying/special operational duty personnel or other career fields requiring color vision testing will be tested using both the CCT and PIP I/PIP II. Passing score on the CCT is defined as 75 or greater on each of the three colors, red, green and blue.

6.44.10. Color Vision.

6.44.10.1. Cone Contrast Test (CCT) equipment will be sent to AF MTFs and ANG and AFRC units not co-located with an MTF no later than January 2011. Beginning 1 January 2011, or upon receipt of CCT equipment, all flying/special operational duty personnel or other career fields requiring color vision testing will be tested using both the CCT and PIP I/PIP II.

6.44.10.3. Flying Class IA/II/III: Must possess normal color vision as demonstrated by passing the approved PIP I and PIP II. Testing must be accomplished at each PHA. Follow up testing for previously waived color defectives will include at least the PIP I and PIP II and other testing as determined by AFMSA/SG3PF. See aircrew waiver guide.

Updated: Feb 2011

CONDITION: COLOR VISION DEFICIENCIES

Most of the older color vision screening tests such as pseudoisochromatic plates (PIP) are designed to only detect the presence of congenital red-green deficiencies based on known inherited color confusion patterns. Newer PIPs have been developed to screen for acquired and congenital deficiencies of all types. Failure of a PIP means the likelihood of a color deficiency is high. PIPs do not reliably determine the exact type or severity of the color vision defect. Current standards for trained aircrew members dictate no more than 2 of 14 of the PIP I plates and no more than 1of 10 on the PIP II can be missed. The Cone Contrast Test (CCT) is now required for all initial flight physicals (FCI, IA, initial II and initial III). The accurate detection of individuals who have any degree of color deficiency is part of the purpose of FC I physical examination and the follow-on Medical Flight Screening (MFS) processes. It should be emphasized that use of the older Farnsworth Lantern test does not adequately screen out color deficient individuals. Once PIP test screening shows an individual to have a potential color vision deficiency, the deficiency is confirmed and quantified with other tests, including the anomaloscope and/or CCT.

Flying Class

FC I/IA

Required Testing

CCT

Waiver Potential

No

Waiver Authority

AETC

Special Circumstances Tests

All MFS/FC I failures

require review by ACS

& confirmatory testing

with anomaloscope.

Review of AIMWTS in Feb 11 revealed a total of 387 cases. There were 32 FC I/IA cases...All but 1 of the FC I/IA cases resulted in a disqualification...

TL;DR version

Everybody will get tested on PIP (the book/plates you're all so familiar with) AND the CCT as well at your annual physical until a new policy directs CCT only and PIP is no longer used. Waivers exist for FCII/III but FCI/IA is near non-existent.

As a trained assett, waiver likelihood is good.

Edited by deaddebate

• 2 weeks later...

No. You should be good. As a trained pilot you are eligible for a waiver. Your case should be reviewed by the aerospace med consult service and a recommendation will be made to AFMSA. AFMSA makes the waiver decision depending upon the circumstances of the case. You should receive a FC IIC waiver which will restrict you to previously flown aircraft. If you cross train into a new airframe, you will need to undergo an operational evaluation of your ability to correctly use the display.

This

• 1 month later...

FYI, new AFI 48-123 Guidance memorandum finally implements CCT only for flyers; no more double testing with PIP. PIP is only for non-flying positions, and generally would only be used at MEPS/BMT.

Good to hear, I guess. Just did my physical not that long ago and had to do both PIP books and the new CCT for the first time. The CCT was, well...interesting at best. Seemed a little more difficult than the PIP books.

So if the CCT is for rated guys, what happens if a rated guy fails it? I haven't seen it yet, but every dude in my squadron agrees that it is much more difficult than the book tests and it is only a matter of time before someone who was good with the books fails the CCT.

81L BLR can explain this much better than me but here's what I know.

The CCT is much better at quantifying the level and specific area of color deficiency. The CCT is a bit more difficult than the PIP for some personnel but cheating on the CCT is near impossible whereas you could easily find and memorize the answers to the PIP. This "new" test is not unreasonably hard or is intentionally a more difficult standard, but it more accurately identifies color deficiency. Remember, 75 is passing for the CCT; few people will be able to get 100. A few people will fail at red/green who would have passed the PIP and they get to apply for waivers.

Likelihood of waiver approval is very high but obviously not guarenteed. See my signature links for the waiver guide for more info.

Same deal. Dead debate probably has the new color blindness waiver guide? The cases I saw for cct fail all went like the above.

81L BLR can explain this much better than me but here's what I know.

The CCT is much better at quantifying the level and specific area of color deficiency. The CCT is a bit more difficult than the PIP for some personnel but cheating on the CCT is near impossible whereas you could easily find and memorize the answers to the PIP. This &quot;new&quot; test is not unreasonably hard or is intentionally a more difficult standard, but it more accurately identifies color deficiency. Remember, 75 is passing for the CCT; few people will be able to get 100. A few people will fail at red/green who would have passed the PIP and they get to apply for waivers.

Likelihood of waiver approval is very high but obviously not guarenteed. See my signature links for the waiver guide for more info.

You'll get a waiver unless something else is also wrong, or if it turns out you were blind while flying and only used the force to guide you.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I'm looking for some info on this topic.  5 or so years ago I was DQ'd at Brooks for color vision anomaly, that I never knew about my entire life.  I passed the PIP plates during my FCI, went through an abbreviated ROTC program as a Master's student, and was PCS'd to Laughlin for UPT.  Before I could start training, I went to MFS at Brooks where I was DQ'd.  I have a bit more to my story, but ended up transferring to the Army National Guard where I currently fly H-60's.  My story is here: (https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/usaf-to-usn-inter-service-transfer-for-color-vision.34429/)

So my question is: would I be able to transfer back into the USAF (or Air Guard/Reserves) and be a pilot?  Am I considered a 'trained' aviator now so that I could get a waiver in my current airframe?  Or maybe even switch airframes if I pass an operational evaluation?

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I'm looking for some info on this topic.  5 or so years ago I was DQ'd at Brooks for color vision anomaly, that I never knew about my entire life.  I passed the PIP plates during my FCI, went through an abbreviated ROTC program as a Master's student, and was PCS'd to Laughlin for UPT.  Before I could start training, I went to MFS at Brooks where I was DQ'd.  I have a bit more to my story, but ended up transferring to the Army National Guard where I currently fly H-60's.  My story is here: (https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/usaf-to-usn-inter-service-transfer-for-color-vision.34429/)

So my question is: would I be able to transfer back into the USAF (or Air Guard/Reserves) and be a pilot?  Am I considered a 'trained' aviator now so that I could get a waiver in my current airframe?  Or maybe even switch airframes if I pass an operational evaluation?

We've seen cases where services transfers had to meet FC I standards and cases where they were considered trained.  In part, it has to do with whether you will be flying the same platform in the AF vs. the Army and, in part, it's up to AETC.  I can't give you a better answer than that.