SRO (Senior Ranking Officer) at UPT

Guest scottaxelson

Do:

Be proactive with your flight commander (inform them of who is going to expire on fitness tests, who has personal events going on (weddings, child birth, O-6+/E-9 visits etc), important dates

Spread all info you get to the rest of your flight mates, no matter how irrelevant

Keep the stupidity out of the cadre's sights ("i want to take leave because my family does vacation every year")

Make sure everyone shows up on time with the correct UOD/patches

Don't:

Release your classmates or guarantee time off

Let them have a formal wedding during UPT

Play the secrets game

Quibble/complain about stupid crap--formal release and EPQs have been around since before you were alive, they aren't going away

Make requests to the scheduler

SROs fall into laissez faire/just another student to proactive and useful. It can be a pain to be the SRO in addition to all the other UPT requirements, but it will help you overall WRT class ranking (unless you suck at it.)

Good luck!

Edited by xaarman

The best SROs I've seen were harder on the other studs than the IPs were. The worst SRO I've seen let people have shitty attitudes without 'adjusting' them in the study room. Remind them the government is paying them (very well) to do something really cool. Half assing it is not only wasteful, it's insulting to a tax payer.

Dropbox, Google Docs sometimes don't work on a gov computer. I'd suggest making a gmail account for the class and emailing everything worthwhile there. You can open that anywhere, including .mil computers. Plus, you can directly email it to yourself or add anything, anywhere without any specific software.

Background - prior T-6 FAIP at Columbus AFB.

UPT isn't new. You aren't needed for anything, because the system is designed to accommodate terrible SROs. I'm going to disagree with a few people here, but some of this is more AF-general advice (for a low level superior) than UPT specific.

Leave and special events - It's not your job to approve/disapprove leave, it's the Flight/CC's. If they don't make the policy clear in the first week (most will), you can ask for the overall policy and relay to the class. You won't get in trouble for asking if you do it with the required respect, so always ask. Good deals don't often go to those who don't ask. Think of yourself as a union rep, at best. It's always your job to advocate for your class, and never to limit them. The IPs will be more than happy to take care of the dream crushing. Make sure you are the one asking though. As union rep, it should all be funneled through you.

SNACKO - The squadron should have an actual SNACKO, your class will be the slave labor. Do what you're told. Not much to say about this, really.

EPQs, GK, Stand-up - The program is run by the USEM. Don't cheat. That's the standard disclaimer. There is a history of cheating, but the tolerance for such activities is unpredictable. Make study guides, or if you have someone in the flight who is a study-holic, see if they will make them. Arrange for study groups, practice sessions, etc. The weak students won't always seek help (shame), and some will not like being singled out, so create group opportunities that your class can take advantage of (union rep). Don't force anyone. UPT is an individual challenge in a group setting.

Here's the most important thing you can do as SRO - Make sure everyone is where they need to be on time. Most of the time you can't have people showing early or staying late for crew rest reasons (you'll be taught all of this), so you have to be vigilant. Tardiness is an easy kill, so stomp it out. If your class is always lined up in the flight room when the door is kicked, with the correct uniform, patches, briefing built, and chores completed, you'll be in great shape.

Oh, and a good offering won't hurt. Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but at CBM the studs would normally build a pyramid of import beers at the back of the room on day 1. It's also a great first AF lesson in identifying the "not-required" things you should do anyways.

Edited by Lord Ratner
  • Upvote 1

I'd recommend box.com for all of your documents. You can actually get to it from the .mil and you get something like 50 GB storage for free. Also, each folder you set up on there comes with it's own unique email address so you can upload docs to it by just emailing it to that address.

For those who have been in/seen this situation:

How is the dynamic between a rated SRO and Flt/CC? I'm certainly not trying to insinuate or expecting they get treated better than any other stud w/o pilot wings...I'd just think there is a little bit of a different relationship than with a brand new butter bar.

I'm not sure the best way to say/ask that, but hopefully someone understands what I'm getting at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the dynamic between a rated SRO and Flt/CC? I'm certainly not trying to insinuate or expecting they get treated better than any other stud w/o pilot wings...I'd just think there is a little bit of a different relationship than with a brand new butter bar.

I'm not sure the best way to say/ask that, but hopefully someone understands what I'm getting at

I understand. The SRO from my class was a Reservist Capt & former C-130 Nav who was going back to his unit. It's not necessarily true that he was treated better, but he was able to leverage better treatment for the flight based on that. We also had an Army fixed wing qual Major that also deflected a lot of queep for the flight.

I've also seen prior rated (wso and nav) and older farts (max age capts) that were entitled douche nozzles. UPT is hard enough. It's harder if you're stupid and/or an ass.

That's because Navs (by any name) aren't real people.

Everyone knows this.

• Upvote 2

I've also seen prior rated (wso and nav) and older farts (max age capts) that were entitled douche nozzles. UPT is hard enough. It's harder if you're stupid and/or an ass.

Washed out a -130 Nav with an Article 15 as a going away present. Don't be a stupid ass douche nozzle.

I was a prior nav SRO. I made sure that, except for my wings on my name tag, I was the same as all my classmates. Same boots, same patches, no leather jacket. UPT is not a place to highlight yourself that way...you're just inviting some pissed off FAIP to take you down a peg.

Play the AETC game, lead the team as best you can with your knowledge and experience, leverage everyone's strengths and don't be a dumb ass. It'll all work out.

(for the record, the FAIPs in my flight were all good dudes...but there's always the 10% out there in every group)

Also, if you get a sneak preview of the EPQ, don't e-mail it on a government computer...

Which is why Dropbox is a terrible idea, I warned you.

I'd treat him like a LT, cause he doesn't know crap about our world. Edited by matmacwc

(for the record, the FAIPs in my flight were all good dudes...but there's always the 10% out there in every group)

ATIS is gone now so it's maybe 8%.

I think most of the IPs will give you a little more reign. Use that to your advantage. I'm not saying you can release the class from formal release (at least not at first, but it can be done) but once you learn the game, you can do little things to make it easier on everyone. In short, don't be a douche, work hard, play the game, win.

That's because Navs (by any name) aren't real people.

Everyone knows this.

Got some time on your hands there "Buddy"?

.................If so, they're searching for that plane in Burma. You could be the "Ping" officer...................