Uvietis or Iritis

Guest HighFlyer55

Guest HighFlyer55

any one know where I can find the Air Force regs on uvietis and or iritis for pilot candidates??

thanks for all your help

Guest F16PilotMD

The following is DQ:

A7.6.4. Uveal Tract. Acute, chronic or recurrent inflammation of the uveal tract (iris, ciliary body, or

choroid), except for healed traumatic iritis.

Waiver Guide:

CONDITION: UVEITIS

I. Overview. Uveitis is a general term used by ophthalmologists to describe any inflammation of the uveal tract, or one of its derivatives, such as the iris or ciliary body. In some cases such inflammations may extend into the retina or vitreous cavity. The list of systemic diseases that are associated with uveitis is robust Prevalence of unexplained uveitis/iritis increases with increased age. Henderly et.al. reported in 1987 that 12.1% of their patients had no identifiable cause of uveitis. However, other authors have found that up to 75% of all cases will have no identified etiology. The association with systemic disease and trauma is high. A list of diseases traditionally associated with uveitis may be found on page 400 of Principles and Practice of Ophthalmology, 1994. Sarcoidosis, ankylosing spondylitis and Reiter's syndrome account for 5% of all cases of uveitis. However, up to 20% of ankylosing spondylitis cases will have uveitis, which may often be the presenting condition. The anterior uveitis of herpes zoster occurs in 40% of patients with ocular involvement and can last for 2 years. Toxoplasmosis uveitis is rare in adults but can occur. The Oxford Textbook of Medicine warns that "atypical and indolent cases of uveitis especially in those with military, naval or traveling backgrounds," is frequently due to syphilis. Nowadays, AIDS must also be considered in the differential diagnosis of uveitis. The most common type of uveitis is iritis, usually following trauma or a corneal abrasion, but fortunately uncomplicated recovery after traumatic iritis is the norm.

II. Aeromedical Concerns. The acute condition can cause distracting pain. Floaters and blurred vision can impair performance and affect flight safety. Long term sequelae include cataract, glaucoma, retinal scarring, retinal detachment, keratopathy and loss of vision.

III. Information Required for Waiver Submission. Ophthalmology consultation is mandatory. Associated diseases causing uveitis, such as sarcoidosis, ankylosing spondylitis, AIDS, tuberculosis, syphilis, sinus disease, dental pathology and toxoplasmosis should be excluded.

IV. Waiver Considerations. The Aeromedical Consultation Service database contains 69 aircrew with the diagnosis of uveitis. Three people were permanently disqualified on initial evaluation. Two received temporary disqualification and were waivered after their condition resolved. Four others initially received waivers, however, their condition later became chronic or recurrent and they were ultimately disqualified. Approximately 90% of patients obtained waivers. Patients should be grounded during the active phase of the disease and while treatment and evaluation are occurring. Aircrew with chronic or recurrent uveitis may have to be permanently disqualified. There is no requirement for waiver to allow return to full flying duties following successful recovery from traumatic iritis.

Guest HighFlyer55

Now does this apply to only active duty members? I am currently an ROTC cadet and I am affraid that when I go to brooks they will DQ me. I had iritis from the ages of 13 to 16. My vision is still 20/20 however it did leave a scar which resulted in my right pupil being mis-shaped when it is dialated. I have had no problems since and then and I have been told the disease is not active. Any thoughts?? Thanks againg for all of your help, I really appreciate it