SV86 open?

Combat Platypus

I was supposed to start Pensacola (water survival)on Monday 4 Oct.

Found out last week that it was canceled and found out today it won't reopen till Dec. I'm working on a waiver to continue flying with my unit. Is this stopping anyone else from flying and if so how are you going to get around it?

[ 30. September 2004, 14:46: Message edited by: Shadow05 ]

As far as I know, AF flyers either go to Fairchild or P-cola. This is decided by the type a/c you have been assigned. C-130s, b-52s, and a/c you have a chance of getting out of in-flight go to P-cola, all others are at Fairchild. At least that is how they treat it for NAVs.

The helo dunker at P-cola is why it is set up this way.

[ 30. September 2004, 17:16: Message edited by: AlphaMikeFoxtrot ]

Guest deweygcc

FYI Fairchild has a dunker, they dont do the parasail stuff though. IN land you do the drag release number so people know how to get out of the drag.

Also most Navy guys go to Whidbey Island for their currency training. They have all the same stuff the Pcola guys have.

Just wanted to clarify something mentioned in an earlier reply, yes Pensacola has a helo dunker but the Air Force water survival does not use it. Air Force navs going through P-Cola go through the Navy's version during API which uses the helo dunker.

Just FYI for all out there looking for someplace to conduct water survival. NAS Jacksonville and Norfolk both have helo dunkers.

I completed my four year refresher at Norfolk this past January, and they catered the training to the platform you fly. We had C-9 guys there, helos, C-2/E-2 and even a few C-12 people.

The reason for writing this is I beleive the AF guys will have more opportunity to get the training they want if they can go to other bases and not have to go to just P-cola.

Holy sh*t this has been one big CharlieFox with the water school being closed. I'm sitting up at Fairchild on Wednesday about 3 hours from graduation from land survival, thinking about going home and all that stuff, when an NCO walks in and announces that everyone who was scheduled to go to P'Cola in the next few months (I also was scheduled for the 4 Oct class) will be staying and attending Fairchilds water class on the next Monday and Tuesday, even though anyone with the potential of getting a parachute-ride down would still have to go to P'Cola..... needless to say, some of us were not too happy! They eventually got some it cleared up, but I know at least a few of them had to stay, one of them being a 135 guy on his way to MacDill... you should be able to get a waiver for it until P'Cola gets back on line though.