Info on Crowns

Spartacus

Doc,

I have never had a cavity in my life, but because I grind my teeth in my sleep I have had to get 3 gold grounds on my mollars. In addition I bashed in another tooth and had to get that fixed with a porcelan crown.

Now I have four crowns and no cavities. Kinda weird! Will this be a problem when I get to Brooks? Is there a limit on the number of crowns and even what types that you can have?

Any help would be appreciated!

Guest jassayag

I had two porcelan crowns when I had my FC1 done and nobody said anything about it. Additionally, I've had friends go to brooks with both kinds and they didn't have any issues. I wouldn't worry about it. They just want to make sure you don't have any sort of serious dental problems.

• 1 year later...
Guest mernest

I will have to go to Brooks on the 21st. I had my wisdom teeth removed about a month ago. My lower left wisdom tooth was pushing against my lower left tooth causing a little damage to that tooth. My dentist fixed the problem by putting a temporary crown on it until the permenant crown is made. Will having a temporary crown in when I go to Brooks create any problems?

Guest P27:17

AETC will likely look at this similar to it being a cavity...what I mean is, its a temporay fix and not a final treatment. When you go to Brooks, it woudn't hurt to have a statement from your dentist explaining the treatment plan and when the work will be completed. If you don't AETC will ask for it before they certify your physical.

Good luck

• 7 months later...

Ok so here's the deal. I have crowns on my upper and lower teeth. When I went in to get my teeth cleaned awhile back the lead dentist, a Colonel, said I must have crown reduction surgery.

Here's my dilemma. First off, the dentist who installed my crowns said I don't need the surgery. Second, I applied to the AD UPT board this year. Could having this surgery affect MFS at Brooks if I get a slot? Could I be DQd? My doc says I'll only be on class 3 status a week after my surgery and it won't affect my FC1 or anything else. Is she correct? Do I have to have the surgery done just because she says I have to? Flight surgeons and everyone else please help! I'm supposed to go under the knife on 1 Feb.

Thanks!!

Have you had you IFC 1 yet? MFS (only) will not look at your dental status...If you are going to Brooks for your IFC 1/MFS exams then the dentist will do the x-rays and evals...if you are DQ'd at that time then get the treatment done and over with before you report to UPT. Once you get the treatment and healing is complete the DQ goes away. If you wait until you arrive at UPT (should it go unchecked til then)then you stand the risk of being down for a week or so while in training...

Yes, I have had the IFC1 already. I just didn't know if Brooks would see the record of the surgery and DQ me. But I guess if they don't see the dental records I should be good to go in Feb. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't have any unforseen "issues" arise because of the surgery.

Thanks!

IMHO,

I'd get the dental stuff out of the way if you can/can afford it (I'm assuming you are covered by the military)...once you are healed you should be fine!

• 2 years later...

REVIVAL

I have a crown in the upper right hand corner of my mouth that chipped a while back. Not a small chip either. Like I can feel a hole with my tongue back there.

Anyway, I went to the dentist, who poked and prodded and determined that the actual structural integrity of the crown was intact and it was still serving its intended purpose. It just looks kind of effed up -- a cosmetic problem.

Anyways, is this going to be a problem me when I go to Brooks or in for my FC1 or whatever? Should I go through the asspain and pay out a few hundred to have it replaced, or am I going to be ok just because its a cosmetic problem?

I'm no expert, but I'd ride that one out and see what happens. Save a few bucks in the process. If it's a problem, it won't be tough to fix. The military is not real big on fixing cosmetic shit, so they shouldn't be real big on DQ'ing you for it either.

• 1 month later...
Guest ShaneTrain24

What about dental implants? It's not really a crown per se, but would this be disqualifying?

• 2 months later...
Guest DavisF22

I have a question. The last two years I didn't go to the dentist for any reason,I guess I just didn't think about it. I've never had a cavity until now. Now the Dr. say's I have about 13!Most are small like in between or 1 surface cavities. But will this be an issue when I got to Brooks in DEC? Are there any limits to how many fillings you can have or how large they can be? Just wondering I'm assuming as long as it's fixed before Brooks comes around everythings fine but want to make sure.

thanks

• 7 years later...

Reviving this thread for a quick question.

I'm a civilian CSO select and just got word that my IFC 1A physical will be next month at Randolph AFB. I had a dental checkup earlier this week and I mentioned the upcoming flight physical. The dentist said he has military dentistry experience and he'd consider me to be Dental Class II because I have a crown that's only a few years old but already has a small gap. He said that if the crown is fixed, I'd be Dental Class I in his medical opinion.

I'm going to try to get a new crown ASAP, but the turnaround seems pretty tight. Is Dental Class II disqualifying for FC1A standards? I've dug through AFI 48-123 but for FC1A it just mentions a few specific dental conditions that are disqualifying but not overall dental classes.

If I were to fail the FC1A solely because of the faulty dental crown, is that the end of the road or is there a possibility of having the opportunity to get it fixed and then re-screened?

Edited by mb1685