Corneal dystrophy

Guest NSFW

Guest Dirt Beater

Was at Brooks last week and found out I have a DQ condition known as Fleck dystrophy...basically little opaque spots on my cornea. They don't effect my vision at all, and they took a whole extra day to put me through every eye test I think ever invented, so I'm hoping the waiver process won't be too difficult. I also need a waiver for near acuity, but they were able to correct both my eyes down to 20/10.

Also, the eye doc said the spots will not likely progress and get worse, so combined with that and the fact that my vision is correctable to 20/10, do you think I'll get the waiver pretty easily?

Guest F16PilotMD

I think what you are talking about is actually called Fuchs' Dystrophy. If so, here's a web site that tells you all about it:

http://www.fuchs-dystrophy.com/

I have no idea what the waiver possibilites are for this. Brooks is typically pretty clear with you if they think this is not a waiverable condition. Your best bet is probably to wait for their report or go through your det to investigate your possibilities. I would frankly be worried that they will not waive this condition because of its unclear progressive nature in a young person. ???

Keep me posted about how this goes for you. This is a new one for me. Sorry I can't be more helpful to you.

[ 24. December 2004, 10:15: Message edited by: F16PilotMD ]

• 2 months later...
Guest Dirt Beater

Got my medical back today approved with waivers for near acuity and Fleck corneal dystrophy...so it's possible!! F16PilotMD, you wanted to be posted...there you go.

Guest Dirt Beater

Oh yeah, what do OU and OD mean?

"Fleck corneal dystrophy OU"

"Substandard near visual acuity OD corrects to 20/20 by manifest"

Guest F16PilotMD

OU is shorthand for both eyes

OD is shorthand for right eye

"Fleck" ? Have not heard of it. Thanks for the update.

[ 03. March 2005, 07:32: Message edited by: F16PilotMD ]