Slipped Epiphysis

Guest TinCanMan

Guest mattcfi

When I was 12 I was diagnosed with a Slipped Epiphysis. The doctor put a five inch steel pin in my hip to correct the problem. I spoke with the NCO's at the Det about it, and they told me that it was a disqualifying condition. They said that I might be able to get a waiver, but that they had never worked with the condition before (it happens to 3 in every 100,000). I just want to know if anybody has ever worked with this condition before, or what the flight docs know about it. The hip is fully healed, and I can do anything I want to without restrictions. They can remove the pin, but it makes no difference if they leave it in. I always thought that the condition would limit me in the military and so I earned my civilian CFI, but now I understand that I could possibly go military. I am excited at the chance to serve and be involved in the Air Force. Thanks for your help.

[ 20. December 2004, 12:25: Message edited by: uptwannabe ]

Guest F16PilotMD

A3.27.3.4. Authenticated history of congenital dislocation of the hip, osteochondritis of the hip

(Legg-Perthes disease) or slipped femoral epiphysis of the hip. These conditions may be waiverable

if there is no x-ray evidence of residual deformity or degenerative changes, or any clinically

significant limitation of motion.

This is a new one to me. I can find nothing in the waiver guide to help us. AFI48-123 states that this is DQ if evidence of residual deformity or degenerative changes. If your hip is anatomically normal and well healed with no limitations, etc, etc...you shouldn't even need a waiver as I read it.

You will need a waiver for the retained orthopedic device.

And, by the way, never take no for an answer...especially from the uninformed. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard, "the nco at my det said..."......

A7.26.3.7. Verified history of congenital dislocation of the hip, osteochondritis of the hip

(Legg-Perthes disease), or slipped femoral epiphysis of the hip with X-ray evidence of residual

deformity or degenerative changes.

A7.26.1.11. Any retained orthopedic fixation device, that interferes with function or easily subject

to trauma

Guest mattcfi

I really appreciate the reply, and I will use this information to keep the ball rolling. Hope to met you in person some day.