Acid-reflux / Heartburn

Guest Magicrat

Guest Magicrat

MD,

I'm an active flyer. I've been suffering from pretty bad heart burn at night, especially lying down. Usually I end up vomitting. The pain seems to go away when I sit up. It seems when I am TDY the heartburn is more common.

Is this acid-reflux? Is there anything over the counter I can take which is legal? I usually take tums or rolaids with no luck. Can I expect treatment for this to DNIF me for a while?

Regards

Magicrat

Guest F16PilotMD

Sounds like reflux to me. Some things to try....may help make the diagnosis or help the symptoms.

Reflux is caused by a weakening of the 'valve' at the connection of your esophagus to your stomach. Stomach acid can then refux up the esophagus at will. The esophagus is not built to handle acid...so it hurts. Things that make it worse: large meals, laying down flat after eating, physical activity after eating. Some foods can make it worse: tomatoes or tom sauce, spicy/fatty foods, peppermint, coffee, soda & beer. You probably have noticed certain foods get you worse than others. Many folks can't do fast-food and soda, for instance.

First, avoid the obvious as above. Stop Coffee, pop, alcohol.

Second, elevate the head of your bed by about 6 inches.

Third, try some pepto-bismol liquid.

Sounds like you've got pretty significant symptoms that may not go away with these changes but if the symptoms get better it helps to secure a diagnosis.

This condition is not DQ (DNIF) unless it's so bad that you can't fly if an attack comes on you. So be carefull what you say to the doc. Drugs that you take to treat it are disqualifying and will DNIF you. Most of them are long-term or maintenance medications that will require waiver.

I would offer you a trial of a medication called Prilosec (turns off the acid production in your stomach). This would require DNIF while on the drug (probably 1-2 weeks IF it works for you) and a waiver if you keep taking it. The good news is that, if it's reflux, it should work well for you.

If this drug doesn't work to you there is more to do in the way of testing, etc. I can give you more in a PM if you want. Let me know.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem and have found NEXIUM is the best, but you need a Rx. Prilosec is the next best OTC.

I have to go to brooks next year before UPT and I'm woundering if they will find out if I have Acid Reflux Disese or find out if I'm on meds if I don't tell them? What should I do to not get DQ and stay flying?

Guest doctidy

Prilosec / Zantac both are easily waiverable. We give you a trial for a week or two...look for your symptoms to get better and ensure you aren't having significant side effects from the medicine,...then return you to flying while we complete the paperwork for a waiver.

Nexium is NOT waiverable at this time.

Get yourself fixed up. You don't need this kind of trouble and you are talking very minimal time away from the jet.

Guest doctidy

No they do not "test"...but they do ask if you are having stomach problems and they do ask you what medication you are taking.

Guest csuseanb

When saying NEXIUM is not waiverable, does that mean if you have EVER taken it then you are automatically pilot DQ'ed? Or does it mean that if you are taking it while flying then you will not be able to obtain a waiver. Some clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Guest doctidy

A "history" of taking Nexium is not disqualifying. What we are saying is, "your problem has to be controlled w/ one of the approved medications."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not a doc and don't know your entire story...but Aciphex is an approved med for flyers...your flight surgeon should be able to tell you how long the grounding will be...

"GI Rabeprazole Aciphex GERD X X DNIF until potential for idiosyncratic reaction

has been ruled out and control is maintained, then

submit for waiver. Authorized under a single

waiver (along with omeprazole). Medication

change between omeprazole and rabeprazole

requires a mandatory 3-day ground observation

period and notification to waiver authority (who

will update AIMWTS)"

I'm only a hopeful, but I currently take Aciphex for my occasional heartburn. Would you(I) be grounded just for taking it, or grounded for a limited time to be sure there would be no problems - then allowed flight duties while taking it?

Edited by Fuse

As long as the medication is on the approved list for aircrew members (Aciphex is) you're only grounded until the doc can determine that the meds pose no risk to flight safety...could be a couple of days, a week, or more depending on the meds, if they're doing what they are supposed to do, any side effects, dosage tweaks and so forth.

Guest doctidy

Fuse -- its not the Aciphex that is going to be the problem. Its that you are in your early 20s and already have an ulcer. Your diagnosis is going to be a problem.

• 1 year later...
Guest Grey

Hi,

FC1 coming up in 6 days and I'm wondering about acid reflux. I guess I've had it for a long period of time (not constantly), but it will pop up occasionally and I take rolaids (this is self-diagnosed btw). I recently got on Prilosec which is working very well and I'm taking the 14-day trial. If I continue with this, I'll take it right up until the physical. Should I continue taking it or stop now? Should I mention the meds and the problem I think I have? Thanks.

MD,

I'm an active flyer. I've been suffering from pretty bad heart burn at night, especially lying down. Usually I end up vomitting. The pain seems to go away when I sit up. It seems when I am TDY the heartburn is more common.

Is this acid-reflux? Is there anything over the counter I can take which is legal? I usually take tums or rolaids with no luck. Can I expect treatment for this to DNIF me for a while?

Regards

Magicrat

I'm sorry, but I'd get a doctor to check you out for an appendicitis. I had this EXACT problem and ended up in the ER. I know it sounds crazy, but your symptoms are similar. Heart burn doesn't result to vomiting. Are you having any tight tension in your lower back or butt area? When you push on your lower right abdomen does it hurt or feel full of pressure?

If I'm wrong, than I'm wrong, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Imagine being in the air and having your appendix rupture. You don't want that and neither does the AF.

• 2 years later...

I've been flying for 20 years, taking prilosec for the last 7. I took it no more than 3 times a week to avoid needing the waiver. A waiver was required for taking it daily until about 2 years ago but is no longer required for prilosec. I'm not sure if initial entry is any different or nexium vs prilosec but I bet your chances are good.

Guest CyaCRJ

I've been flying for 20 years, taking prilosec for the last 7. I took it no more than 3 times a week to avoid needing the waiver. A waiver was required for taking it daily until about 2 years ago but is no longer required for prilosec. I'm not sure if initial entry is any different or nexium vs prilosec but I bet your chances are good.

I'm about to head to OTS with a Reserve pilot slot and a completed FC1 without waivers. I never discussed heartburn OTC meds (Prilosec) that I've taken and am curious if you would recommend I see a doctor to get a prescription to continue it at OTS, then get approval for my next FC1.

Did your post mean Prilosec no longer requires a waiver for any amount of use? Thanks!!

I'm about to head to OTS with a Reserve pilot slot and a completed FC1 without waivers. I never discussed heartburn OTC meds (Prilosec) that I've taken and am curious if you would recommend I see a doctor to get a prescription to continue it at OTS, then get approval for my next FC1.

Did your post mean Prilosec no longer requires a waiver for any amount of use? Thanks!!

I've always been on prescription prilosec. The Flight Doc told me I'm cleared hot to take it daily, prilosec no longer requires a waiver if it is taken for acid reflux. That's what he wrote the presciption for... and what I do.