(Broken) wrist problems

Guest montanamattdavis

Guest montanamattdavis

I broke the scaphoid bone in my right wrist at the beginning of the summer requiring a permanent screw to be inserted to bring the bone back together. I am expected to make a full recovery and regain all motion in my wrist. Subsequently, I have an ANG UPT slot for FY06 (hopefully). I have been told that I will be needing a waiver, but I have no idea what to expect. Has anyone dealt with this type of injury before and how does the waiver process work for it? Thanks for any help you can give.

Guest NCSUwingman

Im slotted for UPT at Laughlin in March and I had the same injury (scaffoid fracture)and still have the same pin in the same (right) wrist. However, I had the surgery back in '97. My wrist is just as strong as it was before (probably stronger due to the piece of metal holding it together) and just as flexible. I too had to get a waiver, but it wasnt a big deal. The doc looked at it, had me demonstrate my flexiblility, etc...and that was that. Take the rehab theorapy seriously and increase calcium intake (worked for me). It shouldnt be a big deal. Good Luck!

• 2 years later...
Guest Tertle

I want to get the baseoper's opinion before I actually go in for an xray.

I've been lifting very heavily for the last couple of months but in the last week or so my right wrist has really started to hurt. It hurts basically when I bend it in all directions. If I press in on the underside of the wrist like I was taking a pulse and I push far enough to touch one of the big bones in there it really hurts.

So, should I go get an xray or give it another week or so?

In reality, you could have a stress fracture. If I were you, I'd stop lifting (just do lower body) or doing any kind of activity that causes pain in your wrist for at least a week, probably 2. If after that time it still hurts equally when doing those activities, I would go get an xray. I've had similar situations where 1-2 weeks off helped it go away. But, common sense tells me if it doesn't go away in 2 weeks w/o activity, then an xray is the next logical step.

Guest SQUARE PAIR

Could also be tendonitis. It can occur from frequent, repetitive motions . . .

. OK, that one's already been beat to death (sts).

Seriously, tendonitis - just ease up for a few weeks and it should go away.

Buy a set of nice wrist wraps (or gloves + wrist wrap combo), take 800mg Ibuprofin, and ice the area for 20 minutes after your workout. Betcha feel better.

I am no doctor but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

Guest P27:17

With out an x-ray you'll never know...point tenderness, swelling (sometimes), deformity, and limitation of motion are often signs of a fracture. Get it checked...the old "hey Doc, it hurts when I do this"...well don't do it!

You're not noticing a decrease in vision are you? :nob:

• 2 weeks later...

Your pushing it to hard. Do you remember it happening or did the pain just develop over time? Another thing, for your bench, are you keeping your wrists straight or are you folding them backwards? (This MIGHT be one of your problems, also maybe your using to much weight...).

Proper training will keep you from injury.

Guest Tertle
Your pushing it to hard. Do you remember it happening or did the pain just develop over time? Another thing, for your bench, are you keeping your wrists straight or are you folding them backwards? (This MIGHT be one of your problems, also maybe your using to much weight...).

Proper training will keep you from injury.

When I do big weight I use 24" titanium reinforced wrist wraps that are about 4 inches wide so I don't think it's my form. I donno, I'm going to get an xray this week.

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping one of the flight docs in here might have some input on this. I had a couple injuries (none to my upper body) over the last year which caused me to cut down on my gym time (read: pretty much non-existent). I'm starting to get back in the swing of things and have been primarily focusing on getting my push up number up (have a PT test coming up). I spent about two weeks doing 200-300 push ups a day and had to stop due to a persistent pain in my right wrist. The pain is across the backside of my hand right where the hand joins the wrist and used to only occurred while I was in the push up position with weight on my hands. I switched to knuckle push up for about two weeks and for a while the pain went away but now its starting to occur consistently.

I've done a lot of searching and have seen some references to similar problems which were from doing push ups on soft surfaces (allowing the wrist to bend further then it should -- I was doing them on carpet) and then others resulting from just simply overworking the wrist. I'm thinking/hoping that my problem is just a mix of the two things listed above but I'm curious if anyone in here has any ideas or opinions on this?

Thanks,

John

Guest slim

I'm no doctor, but 200-300 pushups a day seems excessive. You may be developing a repetitive stress-type injury by doing so many reps. Maybe you can augment your workout with some bench presses. Less reps, more weight. I get the same wrist pain that you mentioned but I know doing bench presses has helped me with my pushups and I don't experience the pain anymore.

Guest ukwxbelle

I have the same pain too in my rght wrist. It developed about 2 years ago. I believe I have a small cyst in my wrist- because there is a bump/knot and there is not one and no pain in the other wrist. I can only get through about 15-20 push-ups but push through for tests. I asked my PA during my first PHA and he said it was probably a cyst but too small to do anything about. He gave me some motrin and never asked about it again. I've about had it and am going to have it looked at upon returning from my TDY. No matter what, I suggest having it checked out before further stress is done. I'll listen to my own advice as well. Hope it gets better.

Yeah I had pain while doing pushups too. There wasn't anything at first and after a month or two a small bump appeared and it was a cyst. If I didn't use it too much it was small or go away but when I started lifted and pushups again the bump would come back. I decided to get it removed about 2 months ago and now I'm good as new.

Every few years I tend to have a cyst develop in a wrist. Back about 15 yrs ago in my early AD Navy days I went to see the doc about it. He said, "Yep, you've got a cyst. Now lay down there and let me stick this fat @ss needle in there to rupture it. And oh, by the way, I'm not even going to give you stick to bite down on for pain while I do it."

The moral of this story is never :nob: let someone drive a needle in your wrist to rupture a cyst without at least a really good dose of valium. There happens to be a nerve in your wrist that runs to the ball of your foot and when a needle hits it, it feels like someone is holding a red hot poker to your foot. I will let my hand fall off before I go through that again.

• 1 year later...
I have one of those cysts also. For those that had it corrected what was the recovery time after? And anyone know how long I would be dnif after doing somthing to get rid of it (either surgery or needle)?

Here's what my Doc has to say...

"I assume this is a ganglion cyst. If removed, only DNIF till the wound is reasonably healed and the wrist functional. If stuck with a needle, it will just recur. I wouldn’t make them DNIF if just using a needle to pop it."