Mildly increased thoracic kyphosis.

El Duderino

This week I finally got something back about the FC1/MFS I did at Brooks in April. It looks like I have to do some follow up work and was hoping F16PilotMD could shed some light on the problem I may have.

From the Report of Medical Examination:

"Request current consultation from: Orthopedics for finding noted on chest X-ray. There is evidence for a mildly increased thoracic kyphosis with moderate loss of height of the T8 vertebra and mild loss of height of T7. The findings are compatible with prior trauma."

The report says to include examinee's personal and family history related to the condition, past and current signs and symptoms, treatment rendered, and dates.

I am really in the dark about what all of this means other than it could keep me from flying. I have never been in an accident or suffered any kind of back injury playing sports. I don't suffer from any kind of back pain. I lift weights 3 or 4 times a week and do squats without any discomfort in my back. I occassionally fly in a Pitts and pull over 5 Gs and don't have any problem with it. There is no family history of back problems.

-How serious is this condition?

-Is it possible that my back just grew this way?

-Does this require a waiver and if so how difficult is it to obtain one?

-Since I don't have any medical records for symptoms or treatment of this should I just have my doctor and my parents' doctors write a letters saying as much?

F-16PilotMD I would really appreciate any info you could give me. Thanks a ton in advance.

--The Dude

First of all, I have no idea nor clue about what happened to you.

Why I'm answering is that during my FC1A, the doc read my chest X-ray and wrote I have "mild desxtroscoliosis of the thoracic spine". The machine was broken and they couldn't do a followup, so I went to an ortho doc I know here in town. Long story short, I've got 4 degrees of curve, and he said if he shot xrays on his office staff, 60-75% of them would have that much curve. Called the guy at the base a 'bozo' and said he was nuts.

Anyway, they may just be seeing something that's barely there, and just want to document EVERYTHING before they let you go. That's the story I'm getting; they just want to know every damn thing.

Good luck.

Guest F16PilotMD

I can't tell you the answers to your questions without seeing the xrays myself. This sounds like nothing to me. You must have some vertebrae that look like they have been "crushed" a little in the front and that causes your spine to curve forward a little more than usual. The USAF wants you to see an orthopaedic surgeon to evaulate that and tell them what your long-term prognosis is. Most of these things are easily taken care of IF they really are not clinically significant.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a follow up last week at a nearby AFB. They took xrays and a radiologist looked at them on Thursday. I was giving the findings by a flight doc yesterday.

---

FINDINGS: There are multiple thoracic compression deformities, severe at the T7 level. The vertebral centrum at T4 measures 30mm in height; at the anterior aspect of the centrum T5 is 24mm, T6 is 22mm, T7 is 17mm, T8 is 19mm, T9 is 25mm, T10 is 25mm, T11 is 30mm, and T12 is 34mm. There is no retropulsion of any vertebral centrum. The compression deformities appear to be old, with healing. There is some osteophyte formation at the ventral aspects of the centra and also noted laterally at T7, 8, 9 and 10 on the AP view. There is no destruction of bone seen. The patient appears to have very minimal kyphosis as a result.

IMPRESSION: Multiple compression deformities as noted with minimal kyphosis.

---

A lot of what the flight doc said didn't register after he said put flying aside for now and make sure the AF will accept you as a new accession. Quite a kick in the nuts when I was ecspecting to go in and have this writen off since I haven't had an accident, sports injury, or suffer from any back pain and then am told I may not even get to wear the uniform at all. What I did understand is that I have multiple compression fractures in my back and the odds of me flying anything, especially anything with an ejection seat, are slim to none.

These findings should have been sent down to Brooks today and since I am predicting bad news to come back I am trying to put together a waiver packet in advance. So far I have documentation from my pediatrician of 18 yrs and my current doctor documenting no treatment for back problems or trips to the emergency room for an accident or injury. I am trying to get an appointment with an orthopedics Dr for later this week to get a 2nd opinion. What are some other items that would go in a waiver packet?

If ejection seats are out of the question I see my only hope of flying for the AF as going to Whiting and flying T-34 (no rocket seat) with a T-1/T-44 follow on. Can you recieve a waiver with a caviat of not being allowed to fly an ejection seat equiped aircraft?

How much do scores factor into a possible waiver? PCSM 99, OM high 80's, 1 semester Cadet Wing CC, 180+ hrs flying time, PFT score (old version) of 410.

I've busted my *** to become the best officer/pilot candidate I can and am going to fight like hell to stay in AF and hopefully fly.

My only experience with the AF has been 4 yrs as a cadet. I love the people and the way of life and haven't even experienced the real thing yet. As long as there is a chance I am going to keep the faith and keep fighting. Any advice or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Dude