Blood pressure questions

Guest wtn001

Guest ShadowX81

Hey, everyone.

I have my FC1 physical next week at Hanscom. Even though I should be fine medically I stress out about stuff like this easily, especially considering what is at stake here. Just thinking about it makes me tense up. I know that this can throw off your blood pressure readings and I don't want to get DQed for it, so does anyone have any tips for staying calm and de-stressed during the whole process?

White Coat Syndrome

May give you a starting place.

FWIW I'd say it's pretty normal to be nervous at Brooks (or wherever). Maybe look into breathing techniques that help you to relax. I have no idea what the limit for high blood pressure is but it might help to find out.

140/90 is the cutoff, which means you can be that but no higher. However, you will have to do a three day blood pressure check if you are above 130 systolic. At least that is what they did to me at MFS.

• 1 year later...

Hold your breath while they are measuring your blood pressure.

Just don't make it obvious.

It works.

To take things in the opposite direction:

About ten years ago when I was a young teenager I had low blood pressure which lead to dizziness and occasional fainting when standing up too fast. I never had any periods of unconsciousness, nor did I suffer any head injuries (I'd typically just land on a couch or sit down on the floor if I felt one coming on). I refuse to lie to a direct question, like those about blood pressure and fainting spells, so I plan on disclosing this info. I have had totally normal blood pressure ever since. Should this be a problem trying to get a UPT or CSO training slot through OTS? Waivers needed? I couldn't find anything elsewhere to say this was the case, but thought I'd ask here. Ditto for Navy pilot/NFO.

Thanks!

The huge med process to become a pilot is filled with people looking for the slightest thing to DQ you. Something that seems benign/harmless in mentioning to you is exactly what is a "big deal" to them and will get your dreams crushed. I'm not saying lie about getting knocked out in a car accident a year ago or that you currently have severe asthma (just examples), but telling them you felt light headed a few times and sat down on the couch for 10 sec to "fix the issue" is dumb. Use discretion during this process...the med process IS NOT here to help you.

In the past seven years? If not, no need to disclose. Don't be stupid on purpose.

I've seen nothing so far to say that anything applies only to 7 years. But I'm only at prescreening. If they ask something about "the last seven years" of course I won't shoot myself in the foot. This was all ten years ago.

The huge med process to become a pilot is filled with people looking for the slightest thing to DQ you. Something that seems benign/harmless in mentioning to you is exactly what is a "big deal" to them and will get your dreams crushed. I'm not saying lie about getting knocked out in a car accident a year ago or that you currently have severe asthma (just examples), but telling them you felt light headed a few times and sat down on the couch for 10 sec to "fix the issue" is dumb. Use discretion during this process...the med process IS NOT here to help you.

I wound up going to a cardiologist, he gave me sudafed to raise my blood pressure (I was 15, now I'm 25), I stopped taking it after it ran out as per their instructions, at it hasn't been a problem since. I probably should have pointed out that I wasn't just answering a question stupidly, but rather that I'm replying to direct questions about blood pressure and issues with fainting. I understand that the process isn't here to help me and that I should be very careful how I answer questions.

Whatever.

Feel free to talk about every hangnail you've ever had if you're looking for an excuse to get disqualified. Then you can be one of those guys who goes through the rest of your life telling people you were going to be an F-22 pilot but you got disqualified for some chicken shit reason. There are legions of those guys, you can find them hanging around any fighter at any airshow telling their stupid story to anyone who will listen.

Good luck.

Whatever.

Feel free to talk about every hangnail you've ever had if you're looking for an excuse to get disqualified. Then you can be one of those guys who goes through the rest of your life telling people you were going to be an F-22 pilot but you got disqualified for some chicken shit reason. There are legions of those guys, you can find them hanging around any fighter at any airshow telling their stupid story to anyone who will listen.

Good luck.

Wow.

So basically, you are telling me to lie to a direct question. That's a no go for me. I am aware that the bigger of a deal I make something out to be, the bigger of a deal MEPS/DODMERB/whoever does the FC1 will think it is. I am aware that it is not advisable to give information without being asked for it. But I've been asked directly "Do you now or have you ever..." and that's that.

Don't worry, even if I don't get in I won't become one of those guys. I come from a long line of military aviators (and a few non-aviators) and know better than to act like an idiot about stuff when it doesn't work out. Not being some sad old guy who regrets not flying is why I'm looking into the career that I should have done in the first place. And even if I wasn't, I'd rather tell the truth and be some sad guy at an air show than a liar.

If there are any docs reading this and can give me some input, that would be great. I would imagine that since this had a clear cause that has gone away since it happened ten years ago that it should be a non-issue or waiverable.

You betcha there tough guy. I get it, you really don't want to qualify.

The Flt Docs are not going to answer your stupid question because they are laughing too hard about your last stand at the OK Corral approach.

Good luck, LOL.

Whatever.

Good luck.

No shit. I stopped counting at 20 people. All this in the first year I was on active duty.

I hear this story "well yeah, I was going to be a fighter pilot too...except for [insert specific bullshit problem that helps him sleep at night here], so now I sell insurance" 69 times a year.

Do whatever helps you sleep at night, buddy. Just notice that you've had the advice of SEVERAL accomplished fighter pilots who have done EXACTLY what you should do. Ignore that advice at your own peril.

Or, maybe you know better. Yeah...that's probably true. Just ignore us and have a nut with your hypochondria.

To take things in the opposite direction:

About ten years ago when I was a young teenager I had low blood pressure which lead to dizziness and occasional fainting when standing up too fast. I never had any periods of unconsciousness, nor did I suffer any head injuries (I'd typically just land on a couch or sit down on the floor if I felt one coming on). I refuse to lie to a direct question, like those about blood pressure and fainting spells, so I plan on disclosing this info. I have had totally normal blood pressure ever since. Should this be a problem trying to get a UPT or CSO training slot through OTS? Waivers needed? I couldn't find anything elsewhere to say this was the case, but thought I'd ask here. Ditto for Navy pilot/NFO.

Thanks!

There is absolutely no way they'll let someone with dizzy/fainting issues due to low blood pressure anywhere near an Air Force jet (nor should they). Period dot.

If you haven't had an issue with this in 10 (!?!) years, why on EARTH would you even consider mentioning it?

Reminds me of when I was a dumbass 19 year old sophomore cadet in ROTC. I sat down with the Det TSgt and started going through the pilot candidate paperwork.

TSgt: "Cadet, Do you have or have you ever had hay fever?"

Me: "Well, yeah... I pitched hay for a local farmer all through high school. Sometimes I'd break out in hives and my eyes would....

TSgt: *Sigh* "Cadet. Let me ask you again... Have. You. Ever. Had. Hay. Fever?"

Me: "Uh, like I said...."

TSgt: "Listen to me. You're not getting it. Do you see this piece of paper? This determines if you qualify to be a pilot or not. Let me rephrase the question: You have never had hay fever, have you?"

Me: ".... No."

Tsgt: "Very good. Let's get this finished up."

Good dude. Retired now and I still keep in contact with him after all these years.

I've got a bud who is an ALO now. He said he was interviewing an Academy applicant who was the ideal candidate. He said this kid had everything...a shoe-in, couldn't have asked for a better applicant. He asked him if he had ever smoked pot. The kid said he tried it once and never touched it again. My bud wanted to do exactly what the Tsg did for you but he said there was someone else in the room who heard it. Apparently he was able to talk to the kid a few minutes later and kind of explained to him what that answer did for him. The kid said he was just being honest. Kudos to him for having integrity I guess.

a_question49 you mentioned being from a long line of family with military service....does that mean you could have any of this stuff your asking about in the military electronic health records? In this day and age young military dependents past health records are readily available. If someone gets by the IFC screening and gets through UPT it might come up sts if you get a PRP assignment as all your past medical records are reviewed in detail. Just a thought.

If you are to spooked to not report this then I think you'd be wise to see a cardiologist (preferably the one you saw before) and get them to put it in writing that you are healthy and do not have the issue of low blood pressure (esp neuro-cardiogenic orthostasis) and hopefully explain away what happen to you in the past. Same with all the other issues you are concerned...take all the stuff you gather and old medical records with you to get the FCI and hand it over this will make it a lot faster process. Additionally if you can bag a flight physical/commissioning physical somewhere other than going through MEPS you should do so.

• Upvote 1

.take all the stuff you gather and old medical records with you to get the FCI and hand it over this will make it a lot faster process

That should definitely speed up the "there's the door" process. Solid advice.

Edited by brabus

That should definitely speed up the "there's the door" process. Solid advice.

Whatever, taken out of context. If this individual feels the need to disclose this stuff I'd be good to have documentation. If not its a quicker DQ cause I ain't wasting my time on a guy that ain't prepared. In the end you do what your consciounce will live with.

Whatever, taken out of context.

Nope. He got the context. Exactly right.

If this individual feels the need to disclose this stuff I'd be good to have documentation. If not its a quicker DQ cause I ain't wasting my time on a guy that ain't prepared.

And there's the context.

The people between a candidate and wings are not looking to help the candidate succeed. They just want to get the process over with as quickly and easily as possible.

The only good advice will be from other pilots who have made it past the threats and can give good gouge to those like minded people who are trying to avoid the same threats.

The people between a candidate and wings are not looking to help the candidate succeed. They just want to get the process over with as quickly and easily as possible.

For those in the process of trying to get a UPT slot, don't forget these words. It's been said on here before, and it's always worth repeating: no one cares about your career and your goals more than you. Especially not people whose sole purpose it is to find a reason NOT to send you to pilot training. Decide how much you want to be a part of military aviation and act accordingly.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

What if I am on casual status and my BP at the dentist read too high so they referred me to my PCM? I can't seem to manage a low BP reading at the doc office before coming to my base, but I'm fine otherwise using the commercial machines or when they use a manual cuff. Am I going to get DQ'd because I am not on flying status yet? I definitely don't want meds because I don't need them. I'm an avid triathlete and follow decent dietary guidelines, I just get nervous every time I go to the clinic.

Edited by SemperSicEm

What if I am on casual status and my BP at the dentist read too high so they referred me to my PCM? I can't seem to manage a low BP reading at the doc office before coming to my base, but I'm fine otherwise using the commercial machines or when they use a manual cuff. Am I going to get DQ'd because I am not on flying status yet? I definitely don't want meds because I don't need them. I'm an avid triathlete and follow decent dietary guidelines, I just get nervous every time I go to the clinic.

Hmmmmm...wonder what that could be?

White coat syndrome...ugh. My Dad had it as a flyer and I when I found out then I began getting nervous because if he as a pilot was nervous...then me as a nobody cadet wanting a slot had a reason to be nervous. The saga continues. I'm going to try that holding my breath, but if you don't hear from me I passed out and smacked my head on the floor. Just kidding, but really I'll give it a shot. I'll try anything to get a regular reading.